26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

Angelo

Quote from: Main Street on July 12, 2020, 11:01:43 PM
Quote from: Angelo on July 12, 2020, 10:08:14 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 12, 2020, 10:03:25 PM
Quote from: Angelo on July 12, 2020, 10:00:57 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 12, 2020, 09:41:47 PM
You don't really want comment you just want a platform to rant.

I think it's very pertinent when people are screaming blue murder over SF and Pual Quinn when successive free state governments have actively tried to suppress justice for victims of British state terrorism on this island.

Your head is fried sur

Do you not think there is something utterly wrong with a government minister actively obstructing a family's quest for justice of an unarmed man who was shot in the back and killed by an occupying soldier?

The bottom line is the Free State establishment could not give a single toss about an innocent nationalist who lost their lives at the hands of the Brits or Loyalists.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-51031136
Former soldier to stand trial for shooting

Speaking afterwards, Aidan McAnespie's brother Vincent welcomed the decision.

"The family is very happy after such a long process of waiting to get to this stage that the judge has strongly come out firmly saying that yes - there is a case to be answered," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43144010

The report could be absolutely vital in securing a conviction but the Free State government will not release it.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 12, 2020, 10:02:13 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on July 12, 2020, 09:27:01 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 12, 2020, 02:28:06 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on July 12, 2020, 09:10:56 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 10, 2020, 10:14:06 AM
Quote from: JohnDenver on July 10, 2020, 10:08:39 AM
Quote from: trailer on July 10, 2020, 09:51:08 AM
It was a cynical attempt to influence the election. They might as well have dragged up Haugheys gun running. The point is, you have to admit this was a cynical media attempt to influence the election result

Here you clearly state that the media was using Paul Quinn's murder to influence the election. That is straight out the provo playbook. The establishment are against us!
Paul Quinn was murdered by the IRA and Conor Murphy said it was criminality and criminals who fell out, when it wasn't. The Quinn's have consistently fought for justice, similar to the McCartney sisters and the whispering campaign, intimidation and lies that have been spread about both families is absolutely disgraceful.
SF have their own set of rules that they play by.

I think you're wanted over on the SDLP thread Trailer

What did he say that was wrong out of interest?

He said the media weren't using the Quinn family to influence the election. If he really believes that (and I don't think anyone could believe he really does), then he is bryond naive and has no credibility talking about politics whatsoever.

Not sure what way he would explain the complete disinterest the media have had in the Quinns since the election ended. Or indeed before the election.

He also takes issue with Conor Murphy saying the murder was part of a crininal feud. The media hounded Murphy through the election for an apology. Yet, the British Government itself said in their IMF report that their intelligence suggested it was a criminal feud. No campaign for them to apologise though.

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2017/1123/922337-rte-investigates-wall-of-silence/

A 2 second check on Google disapproves your absolute disgraceful comment.

Murphy knows who killed him, criminals within the IRA

Disgraceful comment? Away an cop yourself on.

Why is it "a disgraceful comment" to simply state the fact that the British government's own IMC report said the murder was related to criminality?

It's exact wording was:

"The killing was clearly contrary to the instructions and strategy of the leadership of PIRA. It was also contrary to the interests of PIRA and to those of Sinn Féin. We are aware of no evidence linking the leadership of PIRA to the incident...We think that the attack on Paul Quinn was planned and carried out by local people and that it arose from local disputes. Whatever the immediate reason for the killing certain aspects of these disputes go back some time and were not unconnected with continuing illegal activity...The fact that some local members or former members or associates of the organization were involved in the incident does not in our view justify attributing it to the IRA".

Both of us could go on here all night searching internet for evidence of this and that. At end of the day, the Quinn's have never been far from the news at anytime , ok more so during an election, but why would that be wrong? The Quinn's know the IRA and and people well known to Murphy killed their son. Everybody deep down believes that.The Quinn family welcomed the extra interest in the story and it's perfectly normal in a normal society for media to challenge anyone in politics who has links to criminal gangs.

All this stuff about the southern media just seems like veiled support for the killers or their protectors

What a load of guff. You accused me of making a "dispicable comment" purely because I pointed out the fact that the British Government's IMC report said it was not an IRA murder and was rooted in a local criminal feud.

So yes, we both can search for internet results for evidence of this and that, but no point throwing a hissy fit when its pointed out that no matter how many websites you visit, according to those actually investigating the murder, the IRA had far less involvement (and organisationally/leadership level had no involvement) in it than you'd like them to have had.

Angelo

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 12, 2020, 11:03:36 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 12, 2020, 10:18:42 PM
I'm assuming that his point is that it is as relevant to a 26 county election (if not more relevant) as Paul Quinn's murder is but that it doesn't receive anywhere near the same media coverage.

Much better put. But I'm not sure anyone standing in elections in 26 had any connection to the McAnespie murder, I think the comparison is very weak.

The former FG minister for justice is complicit in frustrating the McAnespie family and their bid for justice.

Snapchap

I'm assuming that his point is that it is as relevant to a 26 county election (if not more relevant) as Paul Quinn's murder is but that it doesn't receive anywhere near the same media coverage.

Much better put. But I'm not sure anyone standing in elections in 26 had any connection to the McAnespie murder, I think the comparison is very weak.

Nobody standing in the election has ever been suggested by anybody as having been involved in the Quinn murder either.

But if it's SF as a party that you are trying to link to the murder, and if Aidan McAnespie isn't a good enough parallel for you, well then Fine Gael too were standing in the election, and that party led the cover up of the Dublin/Monaghan bombings - the single greatest loss of life of the conflict, covered up by the FG/Lab government of the day. Are they ever challenged on that by the media at any election time?

Main Street

Quote from: Angelo on July 12, 2020, 11:05:30 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 12, 2020, 11:01:43 PM
Quote from: Angelo on July 12, 2020, 10:08:14 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 12, 2020, 10:03:25 PM
Quote from: Angelo on July 12, 2020, 10:00:57 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 12, 2020, 09:41:47 PM
You don't really want comment you just want a platform to rant.

I think it's very pertinent when people are screaming blue murder over SF and Pual Quinn when successive free state governments have actively tried to suppress justice for victims of British state terrorism on this island.

Your head is fried sur

Do you not think there is something utterly wrong with a government minister actively obstructing a family's quest for justice of an unarmed man who was shot in the back and killed by an occupying soldier?

The bottom line is the Free State establishment could not give a single toss about an innocent nationalist who lost their lives at the hands of the Brits or Loyalists.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-51031136
Former soldier to stand trial for shooting

Speaking afterwards, Aidan McAnespie's brother Vincent welcomed the decision.

"The family is very happy after such a long process of waiting to get to this stage that the judge has strongly come out firmly saying that yes - there is a case to be answered," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43144010

The report could be absolutely vital in securing a conviction but the Free State government will not release it.
I don't disagree with your sentimets re the supresssion of the report on McAnespie's murder. And as soon as SF hit some high point  in the election polls the southern media and opposition politicians  dragged up the grusome murder of Quinn  solely for political mud purposes.
My point was that it had no effect on the polls for Sinn Fein, while they railed about this grusome murder the polls still rose for SF.
The southern opposition to SF will have to debate SF on a current political issue platform, whatever gruesome event that happened in the north no longer has any currency in the south with the new generation and neither have the allegations of hidden hands of mysterious puppet master  northern provo godfathers

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on July 12, 2020, 11:16:14 PM

Nobody standing in the election has ever been suggested by anybody as having been involved in the Quinn murder either.

But if it's SF as a party that you are trying to link to the murder, and if Aidan McAnespie isn't a good enough parallel for you, well then Fine Gael too were standing in the election, and that party led the cover up of the Dublin/Monaghan bombings - the single greatest loss of life of the conflict, covered up by the FG/Lab government of the day. Are they ever challenged on that by the media at any election time?
Seriously.what a load of balls hi. Sin é

Rossfan

Quote from: Angelo on July 12, 2020, 11:06:54 PM

The former FG minister for justice is complicit in frustrating the McAnespie family and their bid for justice.
There is I believe going to be a trial of a soldier for the killing of poor Aidan.
That trial will be decided on the evidence presented to the trial.
The 26 Co Minister for Justice or the Gardai will hardly be calied to give evidence as they wern't witnesses to the awful event.

Meanwhile SF increased their vote by 2.4 from May 2019 to Feb 2020.
I suspect most of the extra 14% weren't born before the ceasefire in 1994 and certainly not before 1985.
Few of them would be old enough to recall the Quinn murder either.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: Rossfan on July 13, 2020, 12:51:00 AM

There is I believe going to be a trial of a soldier for the killing of poor Aidan.
The 26 Co Minister for Justice or the Gardai will hardly be calied to give evidence as they wern't witnesses to the awful event.

I suspect most of the extra 14% weren't born before the ceasefire in 1994 and certainly not before 1985.

But free staters are well versed in moralising about the troubles when it wasn't them who were subjected to harassment, violence and intimidation by state security forces so maybe they should keep their sanctimony to themselves?

It's easy from the cheap seats.

The McAnespie family were desperate to get that report released as it greatly increases their chances of a conviction. Why are the Free State government so intent on covering up British state sponsored murders on this island? Maybe you should examine that?

five points

Quote from: Angelo on July 13, 2020, 10:06:14 AM

But free staters are well versed in moralising about the troubles when it wasn't them who were subjected to harassment, violence and intimidation by state security forces so maybe they should keep their sanctimony to themselves?

The McAnespie family were desperate to get that report released as it greatly increases their chances of a conviction. Why are the Free State government so intent on covering up British state sponsored murders on this island? Maybe you should examine that?

You are posing a question that was answered already, in the bit in bold above.

There is nobody down here who doesn't want to see justice done for the McAnespie murder.

If the soldier who fired at him, or any of his colleagues, supporters or apologists, stood for election or lectured us on standards and morality, we'd take a dim view of it, just as many of us do of the provos who committed, support and apologise for similar atrocities.

trailer

Quote from: five points on July 13, 2020, 10:15:15 AM
Quote from: Angelo on July 13, 2020, 10:06:14 AM

You are posing a question that was answered already, in the bit in bold above.

There is nobody down here who doesn't want to see justice done for the McAnespie murder.

If the soldier who fired at him, or any of his colleagues, supporters or apologists, stood for election or lectured us on standards and morality, we'd take a dim view of it, just as many of us do of the provos who committed, support and apologise for similar atrocities.

+1
Also contrast this with how SF conducted themselves regarding the murder of Jerry McCabe constantly calling for his murders to be released early.

five points

Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2020, 10:28:08 AM

To be fair, I don't think the question has been answered at all. The question, as far as I am reading, is why do they refuse to release the report (therefore helping to cover up state sponsored murder....)?

I don't know enough about that but it may be to avoid prejudicing a trial. Or it may be that the contents of the report might damage the chances of a trial happening in the first place?

Given the circumstances of the case, I don't for a second accept that anyone in positions of power down here wants to cover it up, any more that they'd want to cover up the Enniskillen or Omagh bombings.

Angelo

Quote from: five points on July 13, 2020, 10:30:48 AM

To be fair, I don't think the question has been answered at all. The question, as far as I am reading, is why do they refuse to release the report (therefore helping to cover up state sponsored murder....)?

I don't know enough about that but it may be to avoid prejudicing a trial.

How would releasing an independent report carried out at the time prejudice a trial?

five points

Quote from: Angelo on July 13, 2020, 10:32:28 AM

How would releasing an independent report carried out at the time prejudice a trial?

You'll have to answer that yourself. It is a possibility.

Angelo

Quote from: five points on July 13, 2020, 10:34:20 AM

That's the reasoning you gave and you can't even stand behind it. Just sums up your double standards.

five points

Quote from: Angelo on July 13, 2020, 10:37:18 AM
Quote from: five points on July 13, 2020, 10:34:20 AM

That's the reasoning you gave and you can't even stand behind it. Just sums up your double standards.

It's a statement of fact FFS. A defective report if published in the public domain could mess up an entire prosecution case. Look at the mess of the Guerin report into Garda corruption.  No prosecution case would survive a similar shambles.