11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2018, 03:43:49 PM
The map of parades is very lopsided . Wonder what it will be like in 20 years
And what would King Billy think of it all today.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-traffic-alerts-200000-expected-at-twelfth-demonstrations-35740386.html

The unifying aspect of Sport? I bet he struggled to find anything unifying about the Twelfth

tippabu

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 12, 2018, 04:48:56 PM
Quote from: tippabu on July 12, 2018, 04:30:22 PM
p***k

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/07/12/news/brian-o-driscoll-ex-irish-rugby-captain-visits-orange-parade-1381261/

So he makes a documentary about how sport unifies people and he's a p***k? Hmmm, interesting

Yes in my eyes he is, will we see rory best above in ardoyne singing a few rebs to show the unity? Anyone knows anything about that lot and the 12th july knows theres f*ck all good in it or cultural as they like to say. Will he be up next year to ceremonially light a big bonfire covered in tricolors and horrible messages.

dec

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2018, 05:54:13 PM
Sport can unite but the Orange Order is not a branch of the Armagh supporters club. It is a sectarian organisation whose identity is based on the fact that it isn't Catholic . I was disappointed when I saw the news.

And despite this a southern catholic was greeted warmly at the parade, illustrating the ability of sport to unite.

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2018, 03:43:49 PM
The map of parades is very lopsided . Wonder what it will be like in 20 years

Larne, Carrickfergus and Kilkeel.

QuoteAnd what would King Billy think of it all today.

The Pride march would be more his thing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: dec on July 12, 2018, 06:27:28 PM
Sport can unite but the Orange Order is not a branch of the Armagh supporters club. It is a sectarian organisation whose identity is based on the fact that it isn't Catholic . I was disappointed when I saw the news.

And despite this a southern catholic was greeted warmly at the parade, illustrating the ability of sport to unite.

Would Neil Lennon have been as warmly welcomed?

dec

Quote from: BennyCake on July 12, 2018, 06:39:13 PM

Probably not, but then he is filming a "documentary outlining how Rugby as a sport unifies the country"

snoopdog

Do anything for a  bit of publicity. Rugby far from uniting a country.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: dec on July 12, 2018, 06:40:36 PM

Probably not, but then he is filming a "documentary outlining how Rugby as a sport unifies the country"

What has rugby got to do with the orange order? He is obviously clueless about sectarianism 😳

BennyCake

Perhaps someone should film a documentary entitled how the orange order/the twelfth/marching divides society in the North.

BOD's sugar coated documentary will be shown on tv3 or somewhere, and southerners with no idea of the North will think... ach, those Orangemen and their quirky customs. Why don't Catholics just leave them alone. Sure they're a harmless bunch.

Therealdonald

Quote from: BennyCake on July 12, 2018, 08:20:02 PM

Perhaps someone should film a documentary entitled how the orange order/the twelfth/marching divides society in the North.

BOD's sugar coated documentary will be shown on tv3 or somewhere, and southerners with no idea of the North will think... ach, those Orangemen and their quirky customs. Why don't Catholics just leave them alone. Sure they're a harmless bunch.

Complete tpsser. Lost all respect for him.

dec

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/our-future-is-orange-as-well-as-green-says-former-armagh-gaa-star-burns-31342716.html

A Catholic school principal and ex-GAA star has praised the outreach and educational work of the Orange Order.

Jarlath Burns - a former captain of the Armagh team - recently visited two refurbished Orange Order museums, at Sloan's House in Loughgall and Schomberg House in Belfast, with pupils from his school.
And the south Armagh headmaster hit out at those who complained that an Irish tricolour was not flown at the reopening of the Belfast facility. He said: "Why would we ever expect to see an Irish tricolour outside the headquarters of the Orange Order? We wouldn't expect to see a Union flag at a GAA match. Those things would be very difficult for people to accept."
He added: "I think the real story was that the museum was opened by former Irish President Mary McAleese and her husband Martin, that the word 'Failte' - 'Welcome' in Irish - was prominently displayed and that the first schoolchildren through the doors were from a Catholic school in south Armagh.

"These are positive stories about people genuinely wanting to reach out to the other community.
"I commend the work that the Orange Order is doing in reaching out through the schools. David Scott, who is leading this outreach, has been welcomed in my school several times over the past two or three years and has also been involved with a number of other Catholic schools in south Armagh."
He said he was surprised at how happy people seemed to be with his attendance at the Sloan's House event.

"I found the experience interesting and the museum explains the part this building played in the formation of the Orange Order after the Battle of the Diamond," he said.
"Unless we start re-imagining a relationship with each other and do it through education, I don't think we are really going anywhere. We certainly are not at the moment."

He admitted during an interview on Radio Ulster's Talkback programme that coming from south Armagh, where there has not been any Orange Order marches, made it easier for him to consider reaching out to the other community. "However, we all have to rethink how we view the other community," he said.
"This year the Twelfth celebrations in Armagh are being held in Bessbrook and I want any of my pupils in the town to know that the people taking part in those celebrations are not bad people. They must realise that the Twelfth is part of their culture and that their flag and their Britishness is important to them. I would like unionists to come to a deeper understanding of the GAA, the organisation to which I belong, and recognise what is important to us."

Mr Burns added: "We cannot change the past but we can rethink how we can share the future. We have to become comfortable with feeling uncomfortable. We have to reach out. This should not be shock territory for anyone."

He pointed out that many people who had been bereaved by the Troubles felt that when the ceasefires were announced and the Good Friday Agreement signed that perhaps their loved ones had not died in vain, but had helped to produce a semblance of normality.

Insane Bolt

That article is 3 years old, be interested to get Jarlath's take on how the outreach is working out.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Therealdonald on July 12, 2018, 08:35:42 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 12, 2018, 08:20:02 PM

Complete tpsser. Lost all respect for him.

So you've watched the documentary?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

The OO's parades have the anthropological purpose of showing who is in charge and don't reflect changing demographics . Kerry, Limerick and Wicklow all had Loyal Orange Lodges in the 1800s before the politics changed. There is a prominent statue in Wicklow town to a Mr Robert Halpin who was a Unionist businessman and great bunch of lads.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU