Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laoiseabu

Tony, Collins and Crowley are not up to standard. It's what happens when the older guys go is what I'm worried about . Just cause you make a Laois team doesn't mean you are up to intercounty standard . But what we have is what we have

Laoiseabu

Another example is Farrell from Ballylinan . Clearly not up to standard .

Tony

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 12, 2018, 11:51:03 AM
Are we in a masters championship next season ?
If you consider an average age amongst those 15 players of 26.1 years old to be "masters", then yeah we'll be in a masters competition. If, like me, you consider 26.1 years old to be a good median age for the starting 15 then we need not panic. Plenty of strong younger lads challenging for spots, too. Like Piggott, Crowley, Lowry and Moore. And to Laoisabu, those players are starting out their inter county career, very young lads. I was impressed with them this year and they will come on in standard. How you can say Collins or Crowley are not up to inter county standard is beyond me. I see good potential in those lads, same as Farrell. Plenty of potential in Eoin Lowry, Danny O Reilly and Sean Moore too. Once we harness that incoming potential and make them a lot stronger with s&c, I'm not that worried as we still have a lot of big players well under 30 - (Brody 24, Dillon 28, Attride 25, JOL 29, Donie and Paul Kingston 27/23, Even O carroll 25 etc). The big emphasis must now be to bring on those younger lads coming through. I wish for Sugrue to be kept on if we can at all. After 3-4 years of poor management, we finally have a senior set up that does these players justice.

High Fielder

Quote from: Laoiseabu on July 12, 2018, 01:09:16 PM

Your posts are starting to rot me. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but dismissing lads so readily and naming them individually is quite frankly pathetic. Until you can find better, they are the ones putting in the time and pulling on the jersey. This isn't the X fFactor you know

Nameless

Someone stated that this Laoiseabu fella was from Kildare, wherever he's from he should be ignored.

SCFC

Quote from: High Fielder on July 12, 2018, 02:40:23 PM

Your posts are starting to rot me. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but dismissing lads so readily and naming them individually is quite frankly pathetic. Until you can find better, they are the ones putting in the time and pulling on the jersey. This isn't the X fFactor you know
Have to agree. I gave out as much as anyone about Alan who had a very poor game on Sunday but to dismiss him, Collins and Crowley outright as "not up to standard" is most unfair.

Tony

Quote from: High Fielder on July 12, 2018, 02:40:23 PM

Exactly, well said High Fielder.

Giovanni

redsetanta

The team would get a pass with merit for the season.

There were a few things particularly in attack that needs to be worked on like shot selection, interplay and passing. It was a bit deja vu in Navan last week after the Leinster final.

The dejection on Sugrue's face as he was crouched on the sideline at the final whistle told it's own story. He obviously thought we'd do a lot better.

Based on how this year went there's no reason why we cannot be in a another league final come April. Sugrue needs to get the backing of the CB as we don't want another Cheddar scenario.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Laoiseabu

I'm just comparing these guys to the standard it would take to challenge the Dublin's and Kerry's ? We used to be always able to do that in the good old days

Laoiseabu

I've got a good idea. We should all reveal our true identities and say who we really are

on the hop

From seeing every game from o byrne cup to our exit last week it was great to see it improve from how bad they were last year. A lot of players were tried but many didn't make the grade and we kind of ended up with the same team, but one that was motivated better. All credit to sugure in this aspect. Achieving promotion and getting to the Leinster final was great, the lack of quality and squad depth caught up with us when we faced the better teams. Tactically at times we were poor as well. I hope john stays on, he deserves it for the work he put in. I think div. 3 will be tough but it might help develop new players better. John himself, probably learned a lot and if he stays on their is plenty to work on in terms of the team and his own tactics. Hopefully the better exposure and good will towards the team might bring a bit more badly needed finance in. Hopefully it also might attract more players to put in the massive effort needed to compete at this level. Getting the right players or developing them will be one of the big problems.

We have a good keeper, and looks like a decent back up. We have an issue with kickouts in that we loose a lot of them when we go long. Not having a mobile midfielder doesn't help. Our captain will be a big plus when back and Dillon has developed well. Nerney has a lot going for him but we are still light on full back line options. We have a ball of middle third players, nearly all of them not at the required standard for top level. It's a pity that begley was not a few years younger. Defending has been a problem all year especially runners from deep or one on one tackling. A lot of scores have come down the sides.If we are going to play a sweeper I still would prefer Lillis in that role. Both midfielders went well but are too alike, the lack of pace or an attacking option to get ahead or come off the shoulder was a rare enough. It's hard to play withdrawn wing forwards and not have midfielders coming through in support. The forward play has been up and down. The issues had been mentioned several times, bar Evan that distinct lack of killer pace to stretch defences. Paul Kingston looked the part as an 11 but struggled in the last few games. Free taking has been an issue, for whatever reason we have missed a lot of simple frees, vital in games. I would hope that Evan would get some coaching in this regard, he was still missing the same frees in the last game that he was missing in the sigerson.

Hopefully a few players of that needed quality can be found, there are a few away for the summer that hopefully will return. An odd Bolter to come through, someone like Flanagan from the town. Interesting summer.

BallyroanAbu

Saunders with Portlaoise is meant to be very good, have never seen him myself.   

on the hop

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 13, 2018, 11:57:48 AM
Saunders with Portlaoise is meant to be very good, have never seen him myself.

Mentioned him a while back, saw him last year. I think they were trying him at full back for a while earlier in the year