GAA meets the Dail

Started by Louth Exile, May 12, 2007, 12:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louth Exile

Obviously one of past leaders of the country was the Cork hurling legend Jack Lynch (FF), but are Fine Gael trying to steal a march on the GAA vote??

Jimmy Dennihan is standing FG TD in Kerry, part of the great team, think he won 5 all irelands, captained the team and I have to assume he has at least one all star to his name.
John O'Mahony standing for FG in Mayo, u21 all ireland with Mayo, 2 AI's with Galway and a provincial title with Leitrim (and might even deliver the holy grail to his native Mayo)
Graham Geraghty standing for FG in Meath West, 2 AI's with Meath, one as captain and 2 all stars (but not one policy on his brochures!!)

Are there any other GAA candidates out there, or can anyone remember previous or standing TD's who were GAA legends, there has to more than what is coming to the top of my head???
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

TacadoirArdMhacha

He's not what you would call a GAA "legend" but according to Miceal O Muireachtaigh Martin Ferris TD of Sinn Féin was a star player on Kerry u21 teams in the 70s and won probably have been part of the great Kerry sides of the 70s if he hadn't been "otherwise engaged with Republican activites" (Miceal's description, not mine!)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

deiseach

John Wilson won an All-Ireland medal with Cavan in the Polo Grounds final in 1947.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

but are Fine Gael trying to steal a march on the GAA vote??

In your dreams.
Tbc....

deiseach

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 12, 2007, 12:54:06 AM

In your dreams.

Louth Exile seems to have assembled a strong case. And since when was membership of the GAA and Fine Gael mutually exclusive?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: deiseach on May 12, 2007, 01:00:38 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 12, 2007, 12:54:06 AM

In your dreams.

Louth Exile seems to have assembled a strong case. And since when was membership of the GAA and Fine Gael mutually exclusive?

my point is that he seems to be insinuating that the GAA and fg are now linked! hence my post!
Tbc....

deiseach

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 12, 2007, 01:10:02 AM
my point is that he seems to be insinuating that the GAA and fg are now linked! hence my post!

No, he / she said "are Fine Gael trying to steal a march on the GAA vote??" And the examples of O'Mahony and Geraghty - particularly the latter, who seems rather lightweight for a serious politician - seem to be obvious attempts to poach the GAA vote.

Although now that I think about it, John O'Mahony is good at stealing the prize for the other camp, so maybe he's not the smartest choice.

High Ball

Henry Kenny was on the 1951 Mayo Team who won Mayos last All-Ireland, he was later a Mayo T.D. & his son is Enda Kenny, leader of Fine Gael & potentialy the next Taoiseach, so thats one long association. I have a friend from Mayo who tells me that Enda was an avid GAA player in his day.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: High Ball on May 12, 2007, 03:26:49 AM
Henry Kenny was on the 1951 Mayo Team who won Mayos last All-Ireland, he was later a Mayo T.D. & his son is Enda Kenny, leader of Fine Gael & potentialy the next Taoiseach, so thats one long association. I have a friend from Mayo who tells me that Enda was an avid GAA player in his day.

He was indeed, I used to live in Dublin & long before Kenny was leader of FG, an elderly gentleman, he had that North Meath, SouthEast Cavan Accent used come into the Office I worked in, on hearing that I was from Castlebar, he "said O Kenny Country", I replyed something along the lines of "dead right", coz when you say to people from counties the other side of the Country people often say your from "Kenny" of "Flynn" Country, sorry that was an aside, well turns out this man wasn't talking about Enda at all but his ould-lad the Great Henry Kenny, aparantly among this mans genereation he is considered a great player. Back to my aside sometimes people used to say "Charleys Country" after that fecker 6 feet under who was born in Castlebar. Great town for the policitians Castlebar, with Enda & the Flynnstones, and birthplace of the bollix Haughey, Mary Robinson was from Ballina but she moved her Mayo homebase to the Castlebar side of Pontoon, John Brutons wife(ya I know thats pushing it) was from Westport 15 miles away to the West & Pat Rabbitte is origionaly from Claremorris 30 miles to the South Easet, we even have a Shinner Minister in the new devolved Government in Norn Iron, a woman called Ruane who is from Castlebar. Its a very Political town as you may well guess.

AZOffaly

I might as well trot out my stock line on threads such as this.

Brian Cowen was a very good underage footballer, and played Full Forward for the Offaly U21s alongside lads like Matt Connor and Brendan Lowry.

Onlooker

Former Dublin Goalkeeper John O'Leary is standing for Fianna Fail in Dublin North.

ildanach

last mayo man to lift sam Sean Flanagan was a TD for Fianna Fail also. (I am surprised you didn't mention him Fishead considering he is on you avator)
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

dublinfella

John Bailey formally chairman of the DCB is running for the Blueshirts in Dun Laoighre

Onlooker

:-[ :-[ :-[   Michael Lowry (ex Fine Gael and could have been Party leader) is running again as an Independent in North Tipperary.  He is a former Chairman of the Tipperary County Board.

dublinfella

apart from Jimmy Dennihan, have any of these guys got a snowballs chance in hell?