Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd p

Coverage from pairc tv this year has been excellent giving people a chance to see teams and players they normally wouldn't have got to see much off. A list of some of the best players from each team in this year's championship so far:

Kilcoo: 3 Johnston's, 5 brannigans, Ryan mcevoy, Dylan ward
Wpoint: lynch,p Murdock, 2 boyles, Magee,c macartan,mcgarry,
Carryduff: mcgeough, beattie, 2 Guinness, Tunney, McGrath
Burren: L Kerr, s fegan, g McGovern, c toner, r treanor
Clonduff: 2 ohagans, Ryan Brannigan, Tom close,Arthur,p lively
Ford: d savage,Lewis casement, ohiggins
Lisland: j Flynn, r mason, a mcclements, c Turley
Bholland: m walsh,s loughran,j McGovern, b and r Campbell
Dpk: g Collins, t prenter
Rostervor: Mooney, a McMahon j fegan , c Gordon
Bridge: C Smyth, c Quinn, k mclorey
Glenn: jack and shay mccartan, j ohare
Bredagh: Donal hughes
Longstone: m Poland,harrison, c doran,Finn McElroy

Feel free to add. Hopefully some of the lads above get a chance with the county if they haven't already.

snoopdog

Burren minors deserve a mention today. After a cake walk of a championship for them. Not 1 team was able to give them a game.  Congrats. Hope the county minors can capitalise from this group of players.

Mourne Red

Quote from: snoopdog on September 19, 2020, 04:32:22 PM
Burren minors deserve a mention today. After a cake walk of a championship for them. Not 1 team was able to give them a game.  Congrats. Hope the county minors can capitalise from this group of players.

Seen some photos of the team from the Down Facebook page, looks to have been serious S&C done with them when you compare them to other minor teams around the county

thewobbler

Has this Burren team ever lost lost a game at this age group?

I can't remember it happening.

terrifictommy

Lloyd, that's 60 names and I'd rule out quite a number of them as not good enough for county.
Others I wouldn't include due to their indiscretions a few weeks ago.
Think Hynes in goal is a contender not mentioned from Carryduff.

Lloyd p

Quote from: terrifictommy on September 19, 2020, 07:01:32 PM
Lloyd, that's 60 names and I'd rule out quite a number of them as not good enough for county.
Others I wouldn't include due to their indiscretions a few weeks ago.
Think Hynes in goal is a contender not mentioned from Carryduff.

Yes agreed but certainly wasn't saying they are all county standard or should be with the county?I was just highlighting stand out players from the games I had seen in my own opinion but think there are certainly a few named that should be looked at and I'm sure they will be. Apologies to darragh cross and Castlewellan but just didn't get seeing any of their games.

In terms of indiscretions as you put it im not sure how this means that they didn't perform well?

yewtree

County Final tomorrow , the biggest turn off in decades.

Zero interest in it with that club from The East against the weakest team ever to reach a final.

Thankfully this season is over and a very disappointing one , how that draw was made is unbelievable.

Just no buzz about 'Point or Newry and it is not good for Down.

Anyone else here feel such a damp squib the final is ?

bannside

Kilcoo prove they are worthy champions by beating top teams on way to final. Carryduff show further evidence of their peogress curve by getting to first senior final...but theres no buzz in Newry or Warrenpoint. Embrace it Yewtree, the two teams in the final are there on merit!

SHEEDY

Quote from: bannside on September 19, 2020, 11:38:44 PM
Kilcoo prove they are worthy champions by beating top teams on way to final. Carryduff show further evidence of their peogress curve by getting to first senior final...but theres no buzz in Newry or Warrenpoint. Embrace it Yewtree, the two teams in the final are there on merit!
exactly, the best team in the county against an up and coming Carryduff team, 2 teams there on merit. why should the county final be about a buzz round the point or Newry? Kilcoo to win by 5 or 6, hopefully Carryduff can make a decent game of it and I think they can.
nil satis nisi optimum

Dubh driocht

Yewtree the reason there's no buzz around the Point or Newry might just be because people have certain other things on their minds.
All the  players and mentors across the four codes have put in tremendous efforts in the most challenging of circumstances to give the people enjoyment and excitement. The county board, referees and all involved with Pairc TV deserve great praise for reminding us what's important during the most difficult of times. You're the sort of boy who loves sitting in the dark complaining rather than turning on the light.

champion1981

Quote from: yewtree on September 19, 2020, 10:55:06 PM

Zero interest in it with that club from The East against the weakest team ever to reach a final.

Thankfully this season is over and a very disappointing one , how that draw was made is unbelievable.

id say there's great buzz down round Belfast though, 3 city teams appearing in their respective county finals,  if we were  2 pick the 2 best teams to play in the senior county final it would be kilcoo A v kilcoo B

Maurice Moss

Haven't posted here since before the semi final. A special mention to Warrenpoint, always enjoy playing them, no oul shite and play hard attacking football. They are gracious in victory and defeat and I really feel this team are capable of a senior championship. The previous game going to penalties definitely had an impact on their performance but our men were exceptional and took advantage of this. There will be more battles in the years to come.

Onto today's final, looking forward to it against Carryduff. Not sure what to expect, but certainly not expecting an easy game or a walkover as it is being reported in the news. No pressure on them as they have earned the right to be in the final and as we all know anything can happen. Their underage set up has been magnificent over the last 10-15 years and they are starting to see the rewards of it now at senior level. Great to see a new club into the final and driving through Carryduff having flags and banners up on they way to work is class.

We will be hard to live with if we play like we did in the semi final. This Carryduff team have an eye for a goal and if we nulify that and take our own chances then Frank O'Hare should be staying in Kilcoo for another year, fingers crossed.

Been a funny oul year not being able to have bigger crowds at games and that. The scramble for tickets has been brutal for this game, can I just give a special mention to Pairc TV. Their coverage of championship games has been fantastic and a special mention to Patsy Russell. The man is like our own wee national county treasure with his commentary. I've not got a ticket for tonight but looking forward to viewing from home. Pairc TV well done on the service all year.

All the best to our men in black and white today, up the mighty magpies.

#UTM

knockitdown

Best of luck to Drumgath today in the intermediate final. Bring it home lads!!

thebar

Quote from: yewtree on September 19, 2020, 10:55:06 PM

;D you've been missed fella!

Mourne Red

Bit of a damp squib the Senior game in my opinion - Kilcoo always likely too win it

But in terms of the intermediate, what a Championship run from Saul, they've played excellent football along the way and for the losses the club has suffered over the past 12 months it was brilliant to see them win it. The emotion at the end in the captains speech said it all, no doubt they'll celebrate tonight and deservedly so.

Had my battles with them through the years but glad they done it today.