Great GAA names

Started by Asal Mor, August 19, 2012, 06:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

I have a feeling there was a thread about this before but I was thinking about the different surnames that keep popping up in different counties over the years. I was reading recently about St. Thomas club in Galway. They are managed by John Burke and his six sons are on the team there(seriious contenders for the County title by the way, with the Burkes, Conor Cooney, James Regan and Richie Murray in the side). Burke is a great name in Galway hurling. Galway's best defender in the minor game today - is it Enda or Eanna Burke? -  was one of that Burke clan.

Also, the Tipp minor team had three Mahers today as had the seniors - Brendan, Bonner and Padraig.  There seems to be an endless supply of top-class hurlers from the Maher dynasty.

In kilkenny they have the Fennellys. Weren't there seven Fennelly brothers on a club team that won the All-Ireland in the 80's? Ballyhale maybe?

Cork would have O' Sullivans and McCarthys. Growing up I remember plenty of Hartnetts and Cashmans around the Cork panel but those names have not been so prominent recently.

I'm sure there are lots more and football ones too. These are just a few from my short memory.

Cyril Farrell fan

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 19, 2012, 06:31:53 PM
Also, the Tipp minor team had three Mahers today as had the seniors - Brendan, Bonner and Padraig.  There seems to be an endless supply of top-class hurlers from the Maher dynasty.
Maher is a very common name in Tipp.
I once met a Tipp man with a double barreled surname called Johnny Maher-Maher.

seafoid

There was a brazilian called Josie Maher in the 86 world cup but it doesn't maher any more .
Every county has names that stand out. Like Reillys in Cavan and O Driscolls in Cork and if you look at maps from the 11th century you see the same names and that is one of the things that makes the GAA so magnificent.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Asal Mor

Ha ha yeah I remember Josie Maher. A fine corner back. Scored one of the goals of the tournament.

seafoid

Lovely to see a J Cooney on the Galway subs .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU