5 in a row?

Started by Asal Mor, March 03, 2010, 02:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: mouview on March 03, 2010, 09:33:44 PM
Whe're you at it now Seaf.?

Hmm..., Portumna wiped the arrogance of the Ballyhale lot last 12 months ago, hopefully same will be true again on the 17th. And it showed that all teams can be got at, KK teams included. If Galway can ambush the Cats in the Leinster final, could they be in for an easy AI? Why not? The returning players, Collins, Tannian, Hynes (to a certain extent), Cullinane, even Tony Og, will all strengthen the side in a way that was missing last year at the crucial stage. Still need a centre-forward though, Donnellan is just too woefully limited; likewise not sure about Gantley (was never too gone on any of them, Finbarr especially), and Niall Healy has folded too often under real pressure. However, if Gantley continues his good form, he could make an excellent foil for JC and share the workload. Half-forward line is now critical for Galway.

Don't particularly want KK to do the 5 but I'd never prefer to see them win than Cork. Why should the rebels win? From where? What have they done since 2005 at any level to merit winning?

Galway choke and rely too much on a lad just out of his teens. Until they can share some of that responsibilty then they wont really get anywhere.
And know one said that Cork deserved to win anything over the last few years, we've had a lot of distractions off the field and we haven't had a proper season now for about 2 years.

We're talking about this coming season and the future.

Know one really challenged KK for the last 2/3 years, Limerick and Waterford were incredibly poor and were shown up on the day. Tipp did challenge them and should have won. This coming season, who knows we'll have to wait and see, but I don't think KK can do it, that's now, a lot can change in the few months ahead but right now as it stands, I don't think and I don't want them to go and win the final. Obviously.

Farrandeelin

If it boiled down to a KK/Cork final, then and only then would I want KK to win.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway actually had a good spread of scorers last year so I think it's not right to say they are totally dependant on Joe Canning. Obviously when you have someone as good as him he is going to be a major part of how the team plays but Galway still pushed Kilkenny hard and then beat Cork and Clare and probably should have beaten Waterford with Joe playing fairly well but he wasn't outstanding by his own high standards so that means the other players were doing something right. So it's a bit of a lazy myth really based mainly on one game against Cork two years ago.

I actually think we are shaping up pretty decently this year. We went donkey's years without a half decent goalie. We now have two good keepers in Callanan and Skehill. Full-back line of Ollie Canning, Shane Kavanagh and Fergal Moore. John Lee seemed to settle into being a fine centre-back last year and hopefully he'll have a fit again David Collins one side of him and Adrian Cullinane who was excellent last year on the other side. Ger Farragher is looking fitter than I've ever seen him this year and you probably won't find a better stickman anywhere in midfield in the country. Who partners him is one of the riddles that the management will have to solve but they have a fair few options (Eoin Lynch, Niall Cahalane, David Burke, Kevin Hynes). Up front Iarla Tannian is back from his own long-term injury and provides physical presence as well as hurling ability. Joe Gantley has emerged as a viable option up front during the Walsh Cup and league so far. Hopefully he can transfer it to the championship. Then thrown in Joe Canning, Damien Hayes, Niall Healy, Andy Smith, Aonghus Callanan. The latter two both did well last year. Centre-forward is probably the big question up front as Cyril Donnellan is big and works like a trojan but his shooting is fierce wayward.

There is actually a good spine to the team for the first time in a long while with only centre-forward being still being somewhat questionable but you might get away with it if you can get someone in there who can make a nuisance of themselves. Or we might even see more of Joe at number 11 this year seeing as Joe Gantley's preferred position is full-forward. Who knows. Plus we seem to have a bit of physical presence about the team finally with some big men dotted along the field. Size won't win you games alone but it doesn't hurt either.

However Kilkenny are the gold standard and still have the best team and panel. Tipp are next best and have a very good team but below that I think they are struggling a little compared to the options Kilkenny can spring from the bench.

Thing is Galway or someone else in Leinster could conceivably catch Kilkenny in Leinster this year but like the movie villian they won't be dead just yet and will be free to come back and haunt us and everyone else later in the Summer. And it will be extremely difficult to catch them out twice. Hopefully we'll give a decent account of ourselves anyway and I just have a sneaky feeling that we'll do quite well which is scary as chronic and persistent pessimism is usually the default setting if you follow the Galway hurlers. That said I can't look beyond Kilkenny. I think it might take another year before someone dethrones them.

Asal Mor

Good analysis there GBB. A backline of Canning, Kavanagh, Moore, Collins, Lee and Cullinane looks good to me. There's massive potential in this team so hopefully they can do that justice come July, August & September.

ha ha derry

With a fully fit Noel Hickey back and JJ Delaney reverting to wing back Kilkenny for 5 in arow.

seafoid

[Whe're you at it now Seaf.?]

Paroiste Zurich again.
Cork could have been beaten in 2005 as well. Galway footballers would have won a final like that.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on March 03, 2010, 09:44:42 PM
Quote from: mouview on March 03, 2010, 09:33:44 PM
Whe're you at it now Seaf.?

Hmm..., Portumna wiped the arrogance of the Ballyhale lot last 12 months ago, hopefully same will be true again on the 17th. And it showed that all teams can be got at, KK teams included. If Galway can ambush the Cats in the Leinster final, could they be in for an easy AI? Why not? The returning players, Collins, Tannian, Hynes (to a certain extent), Cullinane, even Tony Og, will all strengthen the side in a way that was missing last year at the crucial stage. Still need a centre-forward though, Donnellan is just too woefully limited; likewise not sure about Gantley (was never too gone on any of them, Finbarr especially), and Niall Healy has folded too often under real pressure. However, if Gantley continues his good form, he could make an excellent foil for JC and share the workload. Half-forward line is now critical for Galway.

Don't particularly want KK to do the 5 but I'd never prefer to see them win than Cork. Why should the rebels win? From where? What have they done since 2005 at any level to merit winning?

Galway choke and rely too much on a lad just out of his teens. Until they can share some of that responsibilty then they wont really get anywhere.
And know one said that Cork deserved to win anything over the last few years, we've had a lot of distractions off the field and we haven't had a proper season now for about 2 years.

We're talking about this coming season and the future.

Know one really challenged KK for the last 2/3 years, Limerick and Waterford were incredibly poor and were shown up on the day. Tipp did challenge them and should have won. This coming season, who knows we'll have to wait and see, but I don't think KK can do it, that's now, a lot can change in the few months ahead but right now as it stands, I don't think and I don't want them to go and win the final. Obviously.

Reillers very few of the Cork side in 2005 would have been good enough to get on the current kilkenny model. Thats the reality. Bar Ben O Connor none of your other forwards would make the kilkenny team. Its like readiing a political broadcast from Hugo Chavez such is the level of delusion in your posts.
As for arrogance- The Cork hurlers, Stephen Ireland, Roy Keane bla bla bla. Arrogance personified.

gallsman

Reillers, this isn't the time or the place, but I can't contain myself. Why should Tipp have won last year's final?!

Also, your claim of Cork 04-05 being better than this KK team is laughable.

Asal Mor

I've never found Kilkenny arrogant. I think being humble and dignified is a part of their hurling tradition, and it's epitomised by men like Cody, Shefflin and DJ. If Galway or Waterford don't win it this year I'd like to see Kilkenny get no. 5. I think it would be fitting for this amazing team.

seafoid

Reillers very few of the Cork side in 2005 would have been good enough to get on the current kilkenny model.

That's a bit over the top. I was at the 2006 final between the 2 and there was not much in it at the end. The Cork backs were breached in the end but they went mano a mano for most of the match.

Tom Kenny and the O'Connors on their day were unbeatable. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Asal Mor

I would agree with Indiana's point that only Ben O Connor would have made the Kilkenny forward line but from 1-9 I'd have Donal Og, Sean Og(I'd put him at centre back),  Tom Kenny and Jerry O Connor on a combined Kilkenny - Cork team. I thought Kilkenny were a fair bit better than Cork in that '06 final seafoid, but they didn't finish them with a goal and Cork made a great burst at the end to get it back to 3 points. Cork were great champions in 04 & 05 especially when they got on a roll as they usually did late in games -They were awesome - could score 7 or 8 points in a five minute burst. Agree about Tom Kenny & the O Connors - greased lightning.

gallsman

Tom Kenny ahead of Tommy Walsh?!?!

Asal Mor

No Tom Kenny and Jerry O Connor  just ahead of Derek Lyng and Cha. 4 fantastic midfielders but I'd go with the Cork lads for their pace and scoring power. Mind you, Lyng and Cha know where the posts are too.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: seafoid on March 03, 2010, 05:02:44 PM
I found this the other day, from 2004. how many of the KK minors made it up to senior?
KILKENNY: L Tierney; J Maher, K Joyce, P Cahill; N Prendergast (0-1), R Maher, S Prendergast; P Hartley, P Hogan (0-3, two frees, one 65); G Nolan, M Nolan (0-4, three frees), N Kenny; R Hogan (0-1), E Guinan (1-1), M Ruth (0-1). Subs: E O'Donoghue (0-1) for Kenny (48 mins).  Referee: B Gavin (Offaly).

Kieran Joyce has been on the senior panel for a couple of years. He played against Offaly in this year's Walsh Cup. I think I remember hearing that Paul Cahill had to pack in hurling completely because of injury. Hes Dunamaggin and brother of Raymie who also played underage for KK. Prendergast is there or thereabouts too, if not actually on the panel. My memory of this past january is vague but I'm thinking he too was on that Walsh cup side. Hartley has been on the KK panel for a couple of years. An excellent club hurler, extremely hard worker, but maybe a little short on both speed and skill for summertime championship stuff. Paddy Hogan is on the current Kilkenny panel. Maurice Nolan looked set to be a star but got injured just after minor I think. Hes hurling away with O'Loughlins, and hurled fitz cup with UCD this year.  Richie Hogan and Matt Ruth are both on the current Kilkenny panel (Ruth came on in that Walsh cup game as a sub). Eoin Guinan is a nice hurler but, as eluded to, his temperment is a little off what it needs to be. A good freetaker mostly, but always tended to carry a little bit of weight, which was always gonna hold him back somewhat.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Reillers on March 03, 2010, 09:40:49 PM
But the KK fans are, I've found incredibly arrogant, and ya fine pot..kettle..black you might say, but like I've never been so annoyed in a long time as I was when I heard the arrognace out of the KK fans when it came to the semi against Newtown and I couldn't believe it.

so its specifically Ballyhale people you have a problem with?