5 in a row?

Started by Asal Mor, March 03, 2010, 02:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Well it's never been done before in the history of the GAA. Kerry came painfully close in 1982. This year Kilkenny have a chance to stand above all others in the history of our games. The bookies have them at 5/6 for this year's All - Ireland. What do ye think people? It's time we started discussing this. It's what Brian Cody would want.

seafoid

Waterford did hurling a disservice last year by beating Galway with a last minute point. I think this year galway should be improved on last year and they'll probably meet KK in Leinster . Now is the year to beat them. Galway have a reasonable track record in this regard.  2005 was one example. 2001 another. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ziggysego

Offaly for the All-Ireland ;)
Testing Accessibility

Asal Mor

I'm impressed with Galway under McIntyre, and very happy with how we're playing at the moment without the Portumna boys, especially up front. Joe Gantley is flying. The return of guys like Tannian and Collins from injury is another big boost. Guys like Farragher, Callanan and Cyril Donnellan are all playing well. If these guys can do it in the championship, then Joe Canning should be able to make the whole thing tick with those incredible flicks and passes that open up defences. We shouldn't be far off.

seafoid

I found this the other day, from 2004. how many of the KK minors made it up to senior?

All-Ireland MHC Final Replay/Galway 0-16 Kilkenny 1-12: Wow, if only all replays could recreate such brilliance. When Galway and Kilkenny drew so flamboyantly at Croke Park last Sunday the immediate fear was that the second act mightn't hold up. Instead it surpassed it, even better than the real thing. As the last word in the summer's hurling championship yesterday's minor replay was simply rousing.  It was at all times a game embodied by a will to win and to battle for survival and, most of all, by pure hurling skill. That Galway won by the narrowest of margins was undoubtedly dependent on their combination of all three. In the end it seemed they were the only team that could win.  With that they bring the All-Ireland minor title back west after a four-year absence - and for the sixth time in all. Not that they didn't need to win this one. But to say Galway's hurling future is secured for at least the foreseeable future is merely stating the obvious. They beat as good a minor Kilkenny team as you can get and did so with distinct verve and determination.  "Character," said Mattie Murphy when asked to assess what won it for Galway. The well-seasoned manager couldn't have found a better word. Kilkenny led for most of the first half and refused to lie down in the second but ultimately it was Galway's desire to be the best they could that won the day.
"We had plenty of opportunities to drop the head and we didn't," added Murphy. "And I tell you this much. Wait four or five years and we'll be heard of in the senior ranks too. They've also put a lot of pride back into Galway hurling, and for that we're eternally grateful."  Just like last Sunday, the game was played at machine-gun pace but without any sacrifice of precision or skill. Some of the scores were as good as you'll see at any level. To highlight just one case, the sidelines cuts of Galway's 15-year-old full forward Joe Canning were a wonder to behold. None seen in Croke Park this summer were any better.  "Nothing," said Murphy when asked what Galway did to make the difference from last Sunday. True their team-work and spirit were once again faultless, but a few tactical switches also became part of the mix. Keith Kilkenny for one came out of the defence and into the half-forward line and his influence on the game soared as time progressed.  "Sure, if you keep making enough decisions like that they'll eventually come right," Murphy added. David Kennedy was later repositioned from midfield to corner back and, with Gerard Mahon for company, did so much to quell the Kilkenny full-forward line, particularly Richie Hogan and Mathew Ruth. With Kerril Wade's free-taking a model of consistency and Kevin Hynes and Finian Coone completing a dominant half-forward line, Galway had the greater share of talent in key areas. This might suggest they largely had things under control. Far from it.
Kilkenny in fact were three points up after 10 minutes, the main damage coming with Eoin Guinan's goal on nine minutes. He met Richie Hogan's sideline with prefect precision and left the two-time champions 1-3 to 0-3 in front. Not that Galway had started badly, with both Canning and Coone collecting scores inside the opening 90 seconds.  Despite the setback of conceding the goal and also having one disallowed because of a square ball, Galway tore into their opponents with unrelenting drive. In the closing segment of the first half two more superb placed-balls from Canning and a stunning 80-metre free from Wade brought Galway level in time for the turnaround - 1-6 to 0-9 - and it was no less than they deserved.  There had been the standard 15-minute delay at the start for reasons of crowd control and, incredibly, they were still pouring in at half-time. By then the number had swelled to around 10,000 and no one would have contemplated leaving early such was the ferocity of the pace throughout the second half.
Later, when all was said and done, the Kilkenny manager Br Damien Brennan said Galway simply produced a super-human effort in the first 10 minutes of the second half that ultimately won them the match. Like Murphy's assessment, he was spot on.  First came a fourth beautiful free from Wade, then a huge point by Hynes, and it was finished off with another Wade free. All within six minutes. Galway had pulled three points clear and that established the impetus to drive them home.  And yet with the clock on its knees the game was still there for the taking. Neal Prendergast sent over a majestic point straight from a Galway puck-out on 55 minutes, and on the hour Maurice Nolan's free brought them within a point. One minute 45 seconds later it was all over.
"We just said at half-time we'd give it 30 minutes of everything," said Galway's captain and brilliant centre back John Lee. "And we deserved to win this, because we worked like no other. Things didn't go too well in the first half, but you just know when the team has spirit like this it will come back against any odds."
GALWAY: M Herlihy; P Loughnane, G Mahon, C O'Donovan; M Ryan, J Lee, J Hughes; A Keary, D Kennedy; K Kilkenny (0-1), K Hynes (0-2), F Coone (0-2); K Wade (0-7, six frees), J Canning (0-4, two sidelines, one free), B Hanley. Subs: D White for Ryan (22 mins).
KILKENNY: L Tierney; J Maher, K Joyce, P Cahill; N Prendergast (0-1), R Maher, S Prendergast; P Hartley, P Hogan (0-3, two frees, one 65); G Nolan, M Nolan (0-4, three frees), N Kenny; R Hogan (0-1), E Guinan (1-1), M Ruth (0-1). Subs: E O'Donoghue (0-1) for Kenny (48 mins).  Referee: B Gavin (Offaly).

gallsman

They'll certainly be the favourites, but that counts for less this year than any of their wins this decade. Tipp will feel they are owed one after their terrific performances last year, with Cork also being a resurgent threat in Munster.

The perennial question about what Galway will/can do remains. Personally I feel they'll need to find a stronger midfield to take on the cats in Leinster.

Kilkenny to do it and re-write the history books and show the langers who's who once and for all. Just.

gallsman

Quote from: seafoid on March 03, 2010, 05:02:44 PM
GALWAY: M Herlihy; P Loughnane, G Mahon, C O'Donovan; M Ryan, J Lee, J Hughes; A Keary, D Kennedy; K Kilkenny (0-1), K Hynes (0-2), F Coone (0-2); K Wade (0-7, six frees), J Canning (0-4, two sidelines, one free), B Hanley. Subs: D White for Ryan (22 mins).
KILKENNY: L Tierney; J Maher, K Joyce, P Cahill; N Prendergast (0-1), R Maher, S Prendergast; P Hartley, P Hogan (0-3, two frees, one 65); G Nolan, M Nolan (0-4, three frees), N Kenny; R Hogan (0-1), E Guinan (1-1), M Ruth (0-1). Subs: E O'Donoghue (0-1) for Kenny (48 mins).  Referee: B Gavin (Offaly).

Hogan the only one I know to have played senior championship. I remember seeing Eoin Guinan at that match and thought he looked a terrific prospect and he was certainly fantastic in the IM final a couple of weeks ago.

Knew a girl from KK in college who described him as "the biggest twat in KK by a mile" which might have something to do with his relative non-progression at county level.

Reillers

I don't think so. I genuienly think that last year it was thrown away by Tipp and KK could well and argueably should have lost. I

I think this year a lot of people will feel that they're owed one. Tipp and Cork especially. Tipp will feel half robbed in a sense, they and I think Cork could challenge if we get a bit of luck going our way, well for the first time in a long time I'm excited about the season ahead. Just the fact that we've had a quiet season and we've a great manager and the camp is making all the right noises and the camp is happy, and that's a huge progress from last season.
There are some very exciting young players we'll be seeing this season hopefully. And players, though it is only March, are really showing signs that they're on form. Gardiner was brilliant in the last 2 games for Cork. And he was feeling all kinds of pressure from the strike, and it badly impacted on his game I think. Now all that pressure is gone in a sense so that's good.
Everyone seems to be ticking over well and it's good to see.

I genuinely think this year Cork will challenge. Hopefully..
There's Galway as well, if they can spread out the pressure and responsibilty more than they could surprise us a bit.

I just don't think KK will retain it. I hope not anyway.

Bord na Mona man

I reckon Galway could do another ambush on Kilkenny and leave one of the Munster teams in for an easy All Ireland.

gallsman

Quote from: Reillers on March 03, 2010, 07:58:20 PM
I don't think so. I genuienly think that last year it was thrown away by Tipp and KK could well and argueably should have lost.

Tipp will feel half robbed in a sense,

I have to disagree with this again, just like I did after the final last year. Indiana loudly proclaimed that the better team had lost and I debated it with him heavily. Kilkenny were definitely the better team in that match. Not by much, but definitely still the better team.

I know you said "in a sense" but Tipp have no legitimate reason to feel robbed, they were beaten fair and square. They put up a fantastic and brave performance, but fell just short. A feat to be commended yes, but the fact that Tipp came so close doesn't mean they "threw it away." To suggest it does does a disservice to the greatest team ever seen.

As I mentioned above, I agree about Tipp and Cork being big threats this year. Possibly Galway, but I doubt it.

I hope KK do it. Shefflin, Kavanagh, Hickey and Brennan all going for eight would be incredible.

Reillers

Quote from: gallsman on March 03, 2010, 08:07:48 PM
I don't think so. I genuienly think that last year it was thrown away by Tipp and KK could well and argueably should have lost.

I have to disagree with this again, just like I did after the final last year. Indiana loudly proclaimed that the better team had lost and I debated it with him heavily. Kilkenny were definitely the better team in that match. Not by much, but definitely still the better team.

I know you said "in a sense" but Tipp have no legitimate reason to feel robbed, they were beaten fair and square. They put up a fantastic and brave performance, but fell just short. A feat to be commended yes, but the fact that Tipp came so close doesn't mean they "threw it away." To suggest it does does a disservice to the greatest team ever seen.

As I mentioned above, I agree about Tipp and Cork being big threats this year. Possibly Galway, but I doubt it.

I hope KK do it. Shefflin, Kavanagh, Hickey and Brennan all going for eight would be incredible.

I don't, I really don't want them to do it, be that bias or whatever, but they're just wearing thin on my nerves at this stage, their supporters are the most arrogant supporters in the country by far (coming from a Cork fan..or so we're told.) I mean they think every game is just a formality. And that is their attitude, no respect for any other team. That's the feeling they give out.
And I think that was really highlighted when Newtown played Ballyhale in the semi and was just unbelievable, I rarely remember such arrogance from a set of supporters, they were all convinced that it was just a formality. Thought they'd walk it, and that the players, the twins, the young players, some of the players in there..that none were good enough to even get close to them, or make it a challenge.
When they in the end just scraped past Newtown who didn't have their best day.
Like some are fine, but the others, are just tiring at the best of time.

And they're not, imo, the greatest team ever seen imo (D4 media at work.) But that's neither here nor there I suppose.

There were some bad ref calls if I remember rightly against Tipp in the final. And they missed a few chances, and will feel in a sense, that they threw it away. And I think that will motivate them a lot.

Galway rely too much on Canning, and until they learn to spread out the responsibilty then they'll always have trouble but could surprise. We'll see what happens with Cork this year. I couldn't call it. A lot of good work has been done, but we have lost a bit of ground over the last season or two, but I'm looking forward to it and hopefully we'll do well.

I don't think KK will do it, I hope they don't. I think a Munster team will do it this season.

seafoid

I think the cats will do it. I wouldn't begrudge it to them. I mean, Tipp or Cork winning 5 in a row would be unbearable but the cats are different.   Imagine Reillers with the rebels on the verge of history. 

I don't really care anyway so long as Galway win the three in a row later in the decade  ::)

gallsman

Quote from: Reillers on March 03, 2010, 09:06:11 PM

I don't, I really don't want them to do it, be that bias or whatever, but they're just wearing thin on my nerves at this stage, their supporters are the most arrogant supporters in the country by far (coming from a Cork fan..or so we're told.) I mean they think every game is just a formality. And that is their attitude, no respect for any other team. That's the feeling they give out.
And I think that was really highlighted when Newtown played Ballyhale in the semi and was just unbelievable, I rarely remember such arrogance from a set of supporters, they were all convinced that it was just a formality. Thought they'd walk it, and that the players, the twins, the young players, some of the players in there..that none were good enough to even get close to them, or make it a challenge.

And they're not, imo, the greatest team ever seen imo (D4 media at work.) But that's neither here nor there I suppose.

There were some bad ref calls if I remember rightly against Tipp in the final. And they missed a few chances, and will feel in a sense, that they threw it away. And I think that will motivate them a lot.

Galway rely too much on Canning, and until they learn to spread out the responsibilty then they'll always have trouble but could surprise. We'll see what happens with Cork this year. I couldn't call it. A lot of good work has been done, but we have lost a bit of ground over the last season or two, but I'm looking forward to it and hopefully we'll do well.

I don't think KK will do it, I hope they don't. I think a Munster team will do it this season.

Now that's just flat out a ridiculous thing to say. RTE has no bearing on that debate whatsoever.

At the same time you are, however, from Cork. So any cheap points you can get to tip the argument in Cork's favour is somewhat understandable. Somehow though, I very much doubt if you remember the 40s team, so you'll probably just have to admit that they're the greatest team you've ever seen.  ;)

With regards to Kilkenny arrogance, I think that's a load of tosh, particularly when talking about the players. The supporters are just making the most of it and enjoying their time at the top.

mouview

Whe're you at it now Seaf.?

Hmm..., Portumna wiped the arrogance of the Ballyhale lot last 12 months ago, hopefully same will be true again on the 17th. And it showed that all teams can be got at, KK teams included. If Galway can ambush the Cats in the Leinster final, could they be in for an easy AI? Why not? The returning players, Collins, Tannian, Hynes (to a certain extent), Cullinane, even Tony Og, will all strengthen the side in a way that was missing last year at the crucial stage. Still need a centre-forward though, Donnellan is just too woefully limited; likewise not sure about Gantley (was never too gone on any of them, Finbarr especially), and Niall Healy has folded too often under real pressure. However, if Gantley continues his good form, he could make an excellent foil for JC and share the workload. Half-forward line is now critical for Galway.

Don't particularly want KK to do the 5 but I'd never prefer to see them win than Cork. Why should the rebels win? From where? What have they done since 2005 at any level to merit winning?

Reillers

Quote from: gallsman on March 03, 2010, 09:21:44 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 03, 2010, 09:06:11 PM

Now that's just flat out a ridiculous thing to say. RTE has no bearing on that debate whatsoever.

At the same time you are, however, from Cork. So any cheap points you can get to tip the argument in Cork's favour is somewhat understandable. Somehow though, I very much doubt if you remember the 40s team, so you'll probably just have to admit that they're the greatest team you've ever seen.  ;)

With regards to Kilkenny arrogance, I think that's a load of tosh, particularly when talking about the players. The supporters are just making the most of it and enjoying their time at the top.

My point about the D4 media was what they push, all this about the best team ever, but I'm not just talking about just the great Cork teams in there, everyone else, and alot of teams have dominated at one stage or another. I just don't think you compare any of them.
Like imo the Cork team a few years ago, even to watch, was better than the KK team now.  But that's my opinion. And I'm admitedly incredibly bias.

But the KK fans are, I've found incredibly arrogant, and ya fine pot..kettle..black you might say, but like I've never been so annoyed in a long time as I was when I heard the arrognace out of the KK fans when it came to the semi against Newtown and I couldn't believe it.

I mean the last KK fans I came across in a pub, were so arrogant, yet they didn't know where PUC was and had never been to Thurles and they called themselves hardcore. Whatever about not knowing about PUC it's hidden away far from anything and everything, but Thurles..sacred ground hurling ground..not right.
(all of which all started when they rudely interupted us when we were giving out about the lotto draw in the club.)

We're not talking about the players, and I was talking about their supporters. And if Cork supporters were just "making the most of it and enjoying themselves at the top" the same way they are now, we'd not hear the end of it.