What's your relationship with alcohol?

Started by Boycey, October 12, 2018, 11:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No1

Just when you think this board is fucked a thread like this comes along. Serious honesty in the posts on this thread, brave as f**k. Made me think (as I stand here with a glass of red and a small can of beer). Time to wise up and live my life for my family and not for the next chance of a liquor.

Targetman

Always loved getting out for pints and having the craic and many's a Monday missed at work, I still like getting out every now and then but Jesus the hangovers kill me, I thought when the kids got older I'd be out every weekend for a few but it just hasn't happened and I couldn't care less, the craic was far better in the pubs years ago when the weekend could have started on a Thursday night, the aul drink has a lot to answer for!!

Harold Disgracey

I love a good drink, I rarely get out for one though. I would normally have two bottles/cans of good beer and a glass of fine red wine on Friday & Saturday nights. My one big blow out would be getting down to Portadown to have a few drinks with my mates on St Stephen's Day. I have always tried to be careful, my dad was an alcoholic, the drink eventually took him on New Year's Day last year and I would be heart scared of going the same road.

Mikhail Prokhorov

when you start drinking in the house, that's the beginning of the end, seen far too many people go this way and there is no way back for most.

the pub is meant to be a social meet up, not somewhere to get hammered or worse arrive there hammered.

young ones i know now go out with a fiver (which in my day bought 6 pints  ;)), because they drink their fill of cheap booze from the off sales before heading anywhere

Syferus

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on October 14, 2018, 01:27:54 AM
when you start drinking in the house, that's the beginning of the end, seen far too many people go this way and there is no way back for most.

the pub is meant to be a social meet up, not somewhere to get hammered or worse arrive there hammered.

young ones i know now go out with a fiver (which in my day bought 6 pints  ;)), because they drink their fill of cheap booze from the off sales before heading anywhere

Shocking carry on altogether that a different generation has different values and prefers to do something a different way.

north aontroim gael

Wild generalisation. I keep Guinness in the fridge and maybe drink 1 tin every week. My wife drinks a glass of wine with her dinner every now again. Hardly the end of the world.

I used to drink a good bit in my younger days. Decreased a good bit when I met my wife, even more so when we got married and is minimal now that we have kids. Maybe 2-3 blowouts per year at a wedding, GAA function or odd stag.

Drink can be great socially but also a curse. Best of luck to anyone struggling.

tonto1888

A ridiculous statement to start of with

Insane Bolt

Working in a bar is a great education.......you see how people react with alcohol. You have the happy drinker.....the depressed drinker......the aggressive drinker.....the guy who wouldn't say boo now full of beans drinker. Back in the day if someone was drunk in public there were talked about......now it's so common hardly anyone bats an eyelid. Many people enjoy alcohol without it causing problems, but alcohol related problems are huge. Unfortunately there is no simple answer and I hope anyone struggling gets help and support.

Tony Baloney

Insane Bolt

Smurfy123

Monday clubs alive and well in Towns and City's. More so older folk and the Sunday night drinker in for the cure. You wouldn't see as many builders about now. And the Friday evening packed bar is no more

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 14, 2018, 08:18:04 AM

A ridiculous statement to start of with

the only thing ridiculous is your grammar  8)

BennyCake

First point I agree on. If only to set an example to your kids

Tubberman

Quote from: BennyCake on October 14, 2018, 10:14:21 AM

Only a problem if you're getting hammered at home. Opening a bottle of wine with the wife on a Friday or Satuday night is nothing to be concerned about in itself.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Tubberman on October 14, 2018, 10:31:53 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 14, 2018, 10:14:21 AM

Only a problem if you're getting hammered at home. Opening a bottle of wine with the wife on a Friday or Satuday night is nothing to be concerned about in itself.
Would agree with that. Alcohol should be normalised and show children it is possible to enjoy drink in moderation. I would rather they saw that than parents coming home from the pub hammered and/or spending the next day dying with a hangover.