What Rule changes should the GAA introduce for football if any ?

Started by johnpower, October 01, 2011, 12:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Seen so may goals lately thrown into the net. Seriously has to go. Closed fist/s only.

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 03, 2018, 03:11:42 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 03, 2018, 03:09:36 PM
Need to come up with some rule to stop teams playing keep ball in their own half to run down the clock.
Looks absolutely cat.

That's only possible if the other team have all withdrawn. Push up on the other team and they'll play it.

It only happens in the last few minutes of a game when teams are tired though.
Very hard to press & cover effectively.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on April 03, 2018, 03:33:04 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 03, 2018, 03:11:42 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 03, 2018, 03:09:36 PM
Need to come up with some rule to stop teams playing keep ball in their own half to run down the clock.
Looks absolutely cat.

That's only possible if the other team have all withdrawn. Push up on the other team and they'll play it.

It only happens in the last few minutes of a game when teams are tired though.
Very hard to press & cover effectively.

If you're chasing the game, there's no excuse to sit deep. If you're tired, then be tired in the opponent's half.

Jinxy

CJ2017

Hooter Stop Clock System was trialled in Sigerson/Fitzgibbon games around 2014.
The Ladies Football has it and seems to work fine, no issues over timewasting/delays.
In the drawn 2015 Kerry vs Cork game - Just over 15 minutes spoilt — 20% of the total game-time.
The clock was due to come into the Championship for 2015 but was shot down. 
Eugene McGee of the Football Review Committee said a total of 80% wanted a clock (at inter-county level).
When it was voted down McGee called it a "ludicrous situation".

Interestingly Andy Moran and Aaron Kernan both favour a 50 metre penalty to cut out cynical play.
Moran: "It's a relevant rule to our game and you're not going to pull someone down if the ball is going to be moved up from the 13 to the halfway line, and you're a point up or a point down."
Last year's AI Final near end – timewasting/wrestling tactics and Donegal vs Mayo this year. Imagine how this could change the final last year. According to Kernan current black card offences could be replaced by moving the ball forward 50 metres, he also talks about the quick free kicks being taken and having a 5 metre zone etc.

Thoughts people?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/john-fogarty/time-taken-for-free-kicks-highlights-need-for-hooter-in-gaa-341124.html
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mcgee-blasts-gaas-hooter-climbdown-315023.html
http://www.the42.ie/andy-moran-50-yard-penalty-call-3925202-Mar2018/
http://www.irishnews.com/sport/opinion/2016/10/18/news/aaron-kernan-gaa-needs-to-make-sure-that-punishments-fits-the-crime-742108/

AZOffaly

I like the idea of the clock, but I think the end of the game should be when the ball goes dead after the hooter, not immediately.

The 13m free for cynical fouls is a decent idea, but I'd be nervous it puts more pressure on referees. We've seen the inconsistency in the black card application. One man's deliberate is another's accidental. I think you'd see an awful lot of controversial ones awarded and not awarded. I think you'd also see lads trying hard to buy a free at that stage.

High Fielder

Quote from: Orchard park on April 03, 2018, 02:06:06 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on April 03, 2018, 01:54:50 PM
Hate watching a lad getting crowded by 3 4 and 5 players and having no way to play the ball only to be blown up for over carrying. A nod to rugby that should have no place on a GAA pitch. No more than 2 allowed into a tackle

surely an incentive to play the ball quicker is allowing him to be surrounded and done for overcarrying

I'd rather he wasn't surrounded at all. I wonder at the logic of being penalised for over carrying when there is no possibility of release.

Orchard park

and i'd sooner quicker ball release.

strict implementation of the steps rule would help cut down on so many personal fouls also

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 04, 2018, 09:12:40 AM
I like the idea of the clock, but I think the end of the game should be when the ball goes dead after the hooter, not immediately.

The 13m free for cynical fouls is a decent idea, but I'd be nervous it puts more pressure on referees. We've seen the inconsistency in the black card application. One man's deliberate is another's accidental. I think you'd see an awful lot of controversial ones awarded and not awarded. I think you'd also see lads trying hard to buy a free at that stage.

What year was that tried?
I have vague recollections of Paddy O'Rourke hoofing a ball towards the sideline and celebrating before it had even gone out.
To be fair, it was probably a career highlight.

Farrandeelin

Seeing as black cards are here to stay, there should be more of a penalty, akin to rugby. No sub allowed on for 10 minutes.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dinny Breen

Sin bin instead of a black card, clock and 4 steps increased to 6 steps with strict enforcement and if a player is fouled, it's a foul not an advantage where he can take another 6 steps without bouncing or soloing.
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Quote from: Orchard park on April 04, 2018, 10:21:39 AM
and i'd sooner quicker ball release.

strict implementation of the steps rule would help cut down on so many personal fouls also
Agreed on both counts.
Abolish throw points and push/throw goals.
Black cards for preventing/interfering with attempts to take a free.
All black cards in the last 10 minutes to be 13 m frees.

As far as I recall the hooter thing was passed at Congress and trialled in Sigerson (?). The GAA said there were practical problems and couldn't be implemented.
Most cynics thought it was because they wanted Refs to remain in a position to ensure drawn games. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Out of all the potential rule changes that would have an immediate positive impact, the sin bin is a no-brainer.

rosnarun

Quote from: Jinxy on April 04, 2018, 11:21:31 AM
Out of all the potential rule changes that would have an immediate positive impact, the sin bin is a no-brainer.
still would not solve the most cynical last minute fouls that has won  many of the last few all Irelands starting with Donegal 2012.
must be a real punishment for that
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

How would the sin bin work in a Div 5 League game on a wet Friday evening in Ballinameen where you'd be lucky to have a Ref?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM