What Rule changes should the GAA introduce for football if any ?

Started by johnpower, October 01, 2011, 12:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Two points for kicking a point from outside the hot zone.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

u bent op uw

Listened to an interesting conversation on English radio earlier today about making hockey a more 'dynamic' game. Women's Hockey has introduced a new rule along the following lines...(not exact, I am no expert)

- When fouled, a player with the 'stick over the ball' can proceed 5 metres without challenge/tackle

Suggested Rule for us... a player fouled between their own 13m line and the opponents 20m line can proceed forward 5 metres (TBD!!!) without being tackled by the opposition team and before taking their free kick. At all times the defender must be 13m from the attacker when the free kick is taken.

Positives for Our Game

1. Definite advantage for attacking player as defender on the back foot
2. Cynical fouling 'out the field/foul him there' can be overcome to some degree
3. The famous/infamous foul count may become less relevant (what will journalists complain about next?, Tyrone would never have won 3 Sams!! blah blah)
4. 'He's fond of the whistle' (nonsense from spectators) will be reduced as advantage is for the fouled payer  -refs need support
5. 'Where's he taking it from?' (again nonsense from spectators and players) - advantage for the fouled payer
6. The whistle does not stop the game going forward

Challenges for the Game

1. Something else for the Ref to consider
2. 13m advantage rule to be reviewed
3. Player can run 5 metres with ball in hand (goes against 4 step rule)

In general...seems sensible for hockey, rugby has similar rule....no harm in learning from others!

Stevie g 8

get rid of the square ball rule,it cause to much confussion

sligoman2

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0402/951633-in-defence-of-referees-the-problem-with-consistency/

Seeing as it's the quiet season and due to the attached article today on Rte what are the thoughts on 2 refs.  I have been advocating it for years....
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

CJ2017

Paul Earley talks about it in this great video at 20.48 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1KgECGTMk4

"Its Impossible for one referee to referee that game, the game is so fast, its so dynamic, there's so much
going on around the field of play, it is impossible" - Ric Charlesworth "The Coach"

after watching his first Gaelic football match in Croke Park.

AFL wants theirs within 20-30 metres of the play of the ball at all times.

Agree with you Sligoman2

AZOffaly

Lads, we struggle to get one ref for all our club games at the moment. How the jaysus would we recruit enough to have 2?

High Fielder

Hate watching a lad getting crowded by 3 4 and 5 players and having no way to play the ball only to be blown up for over carrying. A nod to rugby that should have no place on a GAA pitch. No more than 2 allowed into a tackle

Orchard park

Quote from: High Fielder on April 03, 2018, 01:54:50 PM
Hate watching a lad getting crowded by 3 4 and 5 players and having no way to play the ball only to be blown up for over carrying. A nod to rugby that should have no place on a GAA pitch. No more than 2 allowed into a tackle

surely an incentive to play the ball quicker is allowing him to be surrounded and done for overcarrying

magpie seanie

Technically we have 7 members of the officiating party in each game (certainly at intercounty level). Having two of them who appear to believe their only function is to point the flag one way or another every now and then is not helpful.

As with a lot of things in football I tend to think that rule changes are not needed. Use what's there already or apply the rules as they exist.

Esmarelda

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 03, 2018, 02:06:24 PM
Technically we have 7 members of the officiating party in each game (certainly at intercounty level). Having two of them who appear to believe their only function is to point the flag one way or another every now and then is not helpful.

As with a lot of things in football I tend to think that rule changes are not needed. Use what's there already or apply the rules as they exist.
Agree completely with this. At intercounty level, let the linesmen step in ten metres and ref the games as a second ref. How many line balls are called in the average game?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: High Fielder on April 03, 2018, 01:54:50 PM
Yes this is a bugbear of mine also. Hard to make a play on the ball when you've barely got enough room to breathe.

Jinxy

Need to come up with some rule to stop teams playing keep ball in their own half to run down the clock.
Looks absolutely cat.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rosnarun

all cynical fouls penalize with 13 meter free from infront of the goal (no black card) and 1 min added to the game
time clock used but not visible to player as it encourages players to waste time
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on April 03, 2018, 03:09:36 PM
Need to come up with some rule to stop teams playing keep ball in their own half to run down the clock.
Looks absolutely cat.

That's only possible if the other team have all withdrawn. Push up on the other team and they'll play it.

clawaddy

Agree completely about the unfairness of players being surrounded and unable to play the ball being penalised.
Also two other things which really annoy me:
(1) throw passes. Passes where both hands are moving and the ball is shovelled to another layer looks really bad
(2) Free  kicks taken from the hand where the player starts his run up where the free was awarded and he eventually kicks from a point nowhere near where it should have been. This is especially wrong where it is a free in under 50m from goal