2018 NFL Division 2

Started by tippabu, December 31, 2017, 11:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Almost certain we were at 2/1 for the Clare game before throw in.

Blowitupref

Not sure how much you can read out of that Div 2 final yesterday? two sides that went out without any intensity in their play with goals galore scored many of which that wouldn't be conceded in a championship game. These two sides met only two weeks ago in arguably a more important game and no goal was scored.

4 point winning margin was probably about right when you go over the 70 plus mins played. 1st half Roscommon were the better side and a 1 point lead didn't do them justice while 2nd half they won it by 3 points when i thought it was fairly even. McVeety,Devaney,Mackey,Kilroy the best performers on the day i thought.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Itchy

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 02, 2018, 12:22:06 PM
Not sure how much you can read out of that Div 2 final yesterday? two sides that went out without any intensity in their play with goals galore scored many of which that wouldn't be conceded in a championship game. These two sides met only two weeks ago in arguably a more important game and no goal was scored.

4 point winning margin was probably about right when you go over the 70 plus mins played. 1st half Roscommon were the better side and a 1 point lead didn't do them justice while 2nd half they won it by 3 points when i thought it was fairly even. McVeety,Devaney,Mackey,Kilroy the best performers on the day i thought.

Listen to interview with Cavan Manager, I dont think it was a bit of a blow out at the end of year for Cavan at least

http://www.northernsound.ie/mcgleenan-hurt-roscommon-defeat/

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on April 02, 2018, 11:58:55 AM

Yeh I think so. My mistake. My point was Clare were odds on favourites along with Louth to go down in Div 2 in January. By the time the Clare v Cavan game threw in Cavan were 2-1 to win it. So from that point to getting promotion is serious progress.

Before the game yesterday they showed some hightlights on the big screen of the last meeting in Div 3 between the two teams. It was stark how many Cavan players on the screen were no longer involved. This was the team that day. Those in bold no longer involved.

C Gilsenan; R Dunne, J Hayes, F Flanagan (0-01); J McEnroe (0-01), A Clarke, D O'Reilly; G McKiernan (0-02), K Brady; C Mackey (0-02), N McDermott (0-04), M Reilly (0-03, 0-01 45); J Brady, M Dunne (0-03), E Keating (0-02, 0-01f)

*Killian Brady is just back involved in the panel now due to injury. That was 2014 and that is an insane turn over in your 1st 15.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Itchy on April 02, 2018, 12:57:08 PM
Quote from: Westside on April 02, 2018, 11:58:55 AM

Yeh I think so. My mistake. My point was Clare were odds on favourites along with Louth to go down in Div 2 in January. By the time the Clare v Cavan game threw in Cavan were 2-1 to win it. So from that point to getting promotion is serious progress.

Before the game yesterday they showed some hightlights on the big screen of the last meeting in Div 3 between the two teams. It was stark how many Cavan players on the screen were no longer involved. This was the team that day. Those in bold no longer involved.

C Gilsenan; R Dunne, J Hayes, F Flanagan (0-01); J McEnroe (0-01), A Clarke, D O'Reilly; G McKiernan (0-02), K Brady; C Mackey (0-02), N McDermott (0-04), M Reilly (0-03, 0-01 45); J Brady, M Dunne (0-03), E Keating (0-02, 0-01f)

*Killian Brady is just back involved in the panel now due to injury. That was 2014 and that is an insane turn over in your 1st 15.

Probably the same turn over for Roscommon. Outside the top 6 it seems the rest are forever chopping and changing their teams/panels.  If Roscommon and Cavan can get some stability in their panels they might become established top 6 sides in the years ahead.

Maroon Manc

Was it Madden who came on and wasted easy enough chances to get scores? Roscommon were the better team but Cavan never went away and could have won that. I hope I'm wrong but on yesterdays showing I don't think Cavan have enough quality in the forwards to beat Monaghan/Tyrone/Donegal. As for Roscommon they'll be ready to peak for the Connacht final like last year although they won't catch their opponent so cold like they did last year.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 02, 2018, 01:24:23 PM
Was it Madden who came on and wasted easy enough chances to get scores? Roscommon were the better team but Cavan never went away and could have won that. I hope I'm wrong but on yesterdays showing I don't think Cavan have enough quality in the forwards to beat Monaghan/Tyrone/Donegal. As for Roscommon they'll be ready to peak for the Connacht final like last year although they won't catch their opponent so cold like they did last year.

Mayo people said the same about Galway last year. Mao put the defeat in 2016 down to complacency, which turned out to be disrespectful to Galway and they got their comeuppance for believing this in going into the 2017 game.

mrdeeds

Madden missed 1 3 when he came on.

Syferus

Conditions were much different to two weeks ago. There was actually much more of a nasty edge to this one than the Hyde match.

Clarke trampled Donie Smith in the first half and was a lucky boy not to get the line.

Westside

Quote from: Syferus on April 02, 2018, 02:30:00 PM

Conditions were much different to two weeks ago. There was actually much more of a nasty edge to this one than the Hyde match.

Clarke trampled Donie Smith in the first half and was a lucky boy not to get the line.

McVeety also got a few dirty strokes off the ball that the umpires didn't want to know about. Still wouldn't say there was a nasty edge to the game by any means.

Blowitupref

Didn't see it and one incident hardly gave the game a nasty edge. Yesterday had the look of two teams already promoted that threw the shackles off and went out to see who could win a shootout and not only was 8-28 scored but loads was missed also.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Westside

Cavan did not throw the shackles off and try to win a shootout. They put their best foot forward to win the game and came up against a superior Roscommon team.

It turned into a freak affair but not by design

Syferus

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 02, 2018, 02:41:26 PM

Didn't see it and one incident hardly gave the game a nasty edge. Yesterday had the look of two teams already promoted that threw the shackles off and went out to see who could win a shootout and not only was 8-28 scored but loads was missed also.

Wasn't the only incident.

Cavan played with 14 men behind the ball a lot of the time and with a dual sweeper system. We just cut them open continually. There was lots of instances of patient build up and no aimlessly kicking ball of to double marked players inside. It was a lesson in how to open up a massed defence on a good pitch (and on a good day) where pace can more easily tell. There was no shackles off approach to this game by Cavan.

There was also nothing unique in the way we defended yesterday versus most games the last two years either.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 02, 2018, 02:22:27 PM

Mayo people said the same about Galway last year. Mao put the defeat in 2016 down to complacency, which turned out to be disrespectful to Galway and they got their comeuppance for believing this in going into the 2017 game.

I see your point but I think the circumstances were different, mine more aimed at how poor Galway were during the opening 15 minutes.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 02, 2018, 03:47:52 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 02, 2018, 02:22:27 PM

I see your point but I think the circumstances were different, mine more aimed at how poor Galway were during the opening 15 minutes.

It's all perspective. Ask any Mayo fan and they would say Mayo were poor for periods of their game v Galway in 2016 and 2017. Maybe they were but part of the reason for this was down to Galway. Maybe you are not giving the Rossie credit?