FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I'd have thought that the penny would have dropped by now, that Dunphy rips off what Giles says and presents in a downmarket tabloidesque manner, probably that's why it has appeal with some here. Why am I not surprised ::)
But if it were just that, then there might some saving grace, but no, Dunphy goes on and adds in his own unique analysis on top, which I recognise as the ravings of disturbed man. His own analysis comprises of  -  the player Trap/Stan/Kerr/McCarthy/Charlton/Hand  is not picking, is the best thing since sliced bread and is the missing link between abject failure and winning the world cup. That so and so, who is selected, is an absolute disgrace.
Last night he claimed that Gibson was something like horrific? and described his couple of deliveries as  "boom boom"  as if to indicate brain dead. In actual fact  for the few minutes he was on,  Gibson sprayed the ball around all right and those two boom boom balls were delivered with perfection into the box, considering the goalie was not going to come and catch them.
Dunphy pours his poison out towards every manager Ireland has ever had. Sometimes for 2 or 3 games the manager is the bees knees and just exactly what we need, then the tide turns, that's his  one issue platform. He is ably asisted in this by the second biggest clown on tv, Hokey Dokey Bill. He suckers in all the suckers every time. They all fall for his line.
I suppose the simplicity of it has an appeal, that people forget his hypocrsy, his pure stupidity and his contradictions.
His appeals on tv  are the most pathetic drivel on rte. He, with a tear welling up  in his eye, waxes with drippy sentiment on just how such and such a player must be feeling at being left out - frozen out of the squad.
Then we had his famous rant against Venables, which he claimed was from his research, but in fact was ripped off, word for word from a post on Foot.ie.
But of course it's entertainment  ::)  Yes it's entertainment but I prefer analysis, If I want entertainment I'll watch the comedy hour.

INDIANA

Quote from: Main Street on October 09, 2010, 03:38:44 PM
Quote from: Hardy on October 09, 2010, 03:28:41 PM
Quote from: Main Street on October 09, 2010, 03:13:33 PM
In fact, the only complaints, are the usual self loathing Irish folk who occasionally condescend to watch an Irish international game.

What in the name of imperial hell is this supposed to mean?

People of a self flagellation nature who cannot look at an incident like this  objectively and come to a rational judgement of what happened and instead use their warped judgement of what happened as a stick to beat with . The rationality gets blinded by prejudice towards Keane, towards soccer, towards Ireland or any combination of the three.
Most times when Ireland get awarded a penalty it is regarded as down to luck by detractors. The last qualification campaign being also an example, Ireland were supposed to have had all the luck in order to finish 2nd, conveniently forgetting that Italy were fortunate to win in Montenegro, fortunate to get 2  incredible own goals in Georgia, a last gasp equaliser against us and a very fortunate last gasp winner against Cyprus.

I have looked at it several times and it was a dive.

But dont let that get in the way of how most irish players couldnt trap a bag of sand.

muppet

Quote from: tyroneman on October 09, 2010, 08:30:50 PM
We must have the poorest central midfield in Irelands history. A shambolic pairing who offer nothing whatsoever beyond a lot of running around.

Dunphy's choice of words may have been OTT but his sentiment was spot on; Gibson is a very poor player. Russia could, should, have won by 5.

It's a shame that only 3 players could make all the difference. A LB and CM x 2.

Young McCarthy and anybody would be an improvement on what we have in the middle. I'd go for Lawrence who seems to be a player with a brain.

Kilbane at his galloping best was still never a left back.
MWWSI 2017

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Boycey

Why are people discussing what Dunphy  said on this thread?? He's an idiot, people keep saying he's better than the bland guys on Sky,no he's not he's just as predictable as they are. He'll just slag off Utd/Liverpool/Ireland, whoever will get him the most notice at that particular time. He has nothing constructive to offer.

On Doyle being out, he's a huge loss. Our whole game is based around booting the ball up to him and seeing what happens next.

muppet

Quote from: Boycey on October 10, 2010, 02:20:31 PM
Why are people discussing what Dunphy  said on this thread?? He's an idiot, people keep saying he's better than the bland guys on Sky,no he's not he's just as predictable as they are. He'll just slag off Utd/Liverpool/Ireland, whoever will get him the most notice at that particular time. He has nothing constructive to offer.

On Doyle being out, he's a huge loss. Our whole game is based around booting the ball up to him and seeing what happens next.

Trap has called up Aisake.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

never fear caleb folan is on standby

ross4life

I bet the people who watch Dunphy are the same one's that watch Simon Cowell (lame ass entertainment)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Sure the team may as well hoof the ball up to Shane Long. At least he got a goal at the end of it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Billys Boots

QuoteBut dont let that get in the way of how most irish players couldnt trap a bag of sand.

Why would anyone want to trap a bag of sand?

If your point is that, as a soccer-playing nation, that inadequate resources are put towards the perfecting of basic technical skills, then I agree wholeheartedly. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

screenmachine

With Robbie Keane and Given to a lesser extent not having much/any first team football with their clubs for an extended period, we can't really expect much from them to be honest.  You can't just turn it on when you want, you need to be playing regularly.  Hopefully with a competitive game uinder the belt they can both kick on a bit for tomorrow nights game, it should benefit Keane more than Given but I thought he could have done better with the first goal although the free leading up to it was a bit of a mind boggler to be honest...Need another 3 points tomorrow night to get things back on track sharpish...Here's hoping... 8)
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

magpie seanie

Quote from: INDIANA on October 09, 2010, 02:23:48 PM
Quote from: Hardy on October 09, 2010, 12:48:57 PM
There was no contact any of the times he went down. He's vying with Duff as the most annoying Irish diver. Tiresome shite to watch. I know this stuff is endemic in the value-free world of professional soccer, but it's still annoying seeing overpaid millionaires purporting to represent our country carrying on like this.

I agree.

Henry dives and he's a cheat

Keane dives and he's a hero.

You couldn't write the hypocrisy of it.

It shows where soccer is in Ireland when the only way we can score a goal against a decent side is using Wimbeldon tactics. Says everything.

Yeah and if you point out things like the above you're a traitor or a bogball idiot or something. Wasn't it rather apt they played that "we're all part of Jackie's army" song just before kickoff.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 11, 2010, 12:38:23 PM
There was no contact any of the times he went down. He's vying with Duff as the most annoying Irish diver. Tiresome shite to watch. I know this stuff is endemic in the value-free world of professional soccer, but it's still annoying seeing overpaid millionaires purporting to represent our country carrying on like this.

I agree.

It shows where soccer is in Ireland when the only way we can score a goal against a decent side is using Wimbeldon tactics. Says everything.

Yeah and if you point out things like the above you're a traitor or a bogball idiot or something. Wasn't it rather apt they played that "we're all part of Jackie's army" song just before kickoff.

Watched it in the pub & shouted dive in real time to a chorus of "nah, he was tripped". Not a peep out of them after the replays. Agree with everything Hardy said there, it's a different game to the one I grew up with, was hoping Russia would hold out at the end & I'm glad they did.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 11, 2010, 02:20:34 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 11, 2010, 12:38:23 PM

I agree.

Watched it in the pub & shouted dive in real time to a chorus of "nah, he was tripped". Not a peep out of them after the replays. Agree with everything Hardy said there, it's a different game to the one I grew up with, was hoping Russia would hold out at the end & I'm glad they did.

Wow great supporter you are  ::) Mullingar must be twinned with Moscow or something.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Croí na hÉireann

I'd rather get the hockeying we were in line for than try and cheat and dive our way out of it. Honesty of effort goes a long way, I don't see soccer coming back from the depth's it has plunged to. It's now a "sport" that actively encourages cheating and diving and it's a much poorer game for it.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...