St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

magpie seanie

Was away at the weekend and nervously awaiting updates at the other end of a phone. Thankfully from my point of view we got our act together after what was supposedly a very shaky opening 25 or so minutes (some of the problems self inflicted). I heard Molaise Gaels displayed great hunger and passion and if they keep working at it their day will come. We need further improvement to live with Calry or Harps in the next game though from what I'm told.

Our minors saved their season tonight with a much improved display to beat Farnan's and clinch a quarter final spot. Last weeks display against Mary's was simply unacceptable but thankfully not fatal. We have a talented squad who on their day are a match for anyone but they can mix the sublime with the ridiculous. The draw will be interesting (is it made already????). I'd say one or two minor games went by the wayside this evening because of the incredibly bad weather.

Junior next Sunday and again St Molaise Gaels are our opponents. Any truth in the rumour that a secret weapon is being flown back from the middle east for the game??!!!!! Winner should go through to semis.

xwave7000

I don't understand the griping about bias towards Ballymote on the forum here, the match deserved to end up as a draw, the penalty was perfectly legit - a footblock in the penalty area despite what people say - but defending by both sides was bad, particularly in the full back line. Sligonian, how can you say that Tourlestrane were the better team, you're not even in the country. Ballymote were the better team after the Tourlestrane penalty miss, completely deserved a draw after the awful decision in the first half, with the ref blowing up for half time with the ball in mid-flight. Poor refereeing in general I agree but to say he was biased is a ridiculous statement - O'Hara once again did ye no favours with his constant complaining.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 31, 2009, 11:52:01 PM
Was away at the weekend and nervously awaiting updates at the other end of a phone. Thankfully from my point of view we got our act together after what was supposedly a very shaky opening 25 or so minutes (some of the problems self inflicted). I heard Molaise Gaels displayed great hunger and passion and if they keep working at it their day will come. We need further improvement to live with Calry or Harps in the next game though from what I'm told.

Our minors saved their season tonight with a much improved display to beat Farnan's and clinch a quarter final spot. Last weeks display against Mary's was simply unacceptable but thankfully not fatal. We have a talented squad who on their day are a match for anyone but they can mix the sublime with the ridiculous. The draw will be interesting (is it made already????). I'd say one or two minor games went by the wayside this evening because of the incredibly bad weather.

Junior next Sunday and again St Molaise Gaels are our opponents. Any truth in the rumour that a secret weapon is being flown back from the middle east for the game??!!!!! Winner should go through to semis.

Heard more reports of the game last night, and some were very critical of some of our lads. Still cant believe Gavin Gilsenan was put corner forward. But no point going in to indepth analysis. We still have alot of work to do, and I hope James Watters takes it on next yr, hes done well with our minors last few yrs albeit a very talented bunch.

Last yrs pain at losing the semi should help Coolera, last yr they should of beaten Tubber and will hopefully have learned, this yr its harps or calry next up should be a cracking semi, as will Johns v tour or Balymote. Costello got plenty of praise from my sources, cute hoor, great football brain, his positional sense and reading of the game was second to none. I think its worth highlighting seeming as I and others were quick to criticise earlier in the yr, pity he was off form for end of the county yr and hopefully he can sustain his form next yr. Kevin Walsh was at the game and that was good to hear.

Seanie no truth in that, you'll only have to worry about JJJ this weekend..just count yourself lucky they didnt fly me back for the game last weekend :P  :D

Quote from: xwave7000 on September 01, 2009, 09:05:00 AM
I don't understand the griping about bias towards Ballymote on the forum here, the match deserved to end up as a draw, the penalty was perfectly legit - a footblock in the penalty area despite what people say - but defending by both sides was bad, particularly in the full back line. Sligonian, how can you say that Tourlestrane were the better team, you're not even in the country. Ballymote were the better team after the Tourlestrane penalty miss, completely deserved a draw after the awful decision in the first half, with the ref blowing up for half time with the ball in mid-flight. Poor refereeing in general I agree but to say he was biased is a ridiculous statement - O'Hara once again did ye no favours with his constant complaining.

Not my words as I stated, just passing on the opinions of my sources from my club who would be neutrals in regards that game. No harm in that and that has been the case all yr. They said Tour did collapse but at one stage Gaughan missed a sitter of a goal chance to put game out of sight. Then Balymote got mainly frees to get them back into it. Listen I was happy it was tight game but its worth mentioning, hope ye do well in the replay. Is Brendan Egan back for tour?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

stevo-08

Draw was made before start of the championship. Group A v Group B, Group C v Group D. The final group games in A & B were not played last night but I cant see the tables changing, which will leave the following draw:
SMG v Ballymote/Bunninadden
Tubbercurry v Curry
St. Johns v Coolera
Drumcliff v St. Farnans

All games scheduled for next monday, so they'll try and get the final group games played before then.

magpie seanie

Sligonian - fair dues on the Costello comment.

Stevo08 - good stuff. More headaches by the looks of things!

Mano

I don't understand the griping about bias towards Ballymote on the forum here, the match deserved to end up as a draw, the penalty was perfectly legit - a footblock in the penalty area
Poor refereeing in general I agree but to say he was biased is a ridiculous statement - O'Hara once again did ye no favours with his constant complaining.

How can blocking the ball with the hand be called a footblock?
Ballymote are a good side and have given us problems over the last number of years so credit where it is due there. Hopefully we can use that referee decision as motivation for the replay

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 31, 2009, 02:37:09 PM
The above isnt my opinion but, it is that of a well respected neutral. I have to agree with manos take on it from knowing that ref personnally. Wouldnt have him ref a match involving tourletrane, the peno decision was mentioned to me and it wasnt one. It would be akin to me reffing a match involving mayo. Dont get me wrong, I have no bias towards either balymote or tour, glad it was good tight game with plenty of drama.

Sligonian why does he have a dislike of Tourlestrane?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stevo-08 on September 01, 2009, 09:24:51 AM

Draw was made before start of the championship. Group A v Group B, Group C v Group D. The final group games in A & B were not played last night but I cant see the tables changing, which will leave the following draw:
Tubbercurry v Curry
St. Johns v Coolera
Drumcliff v St. Farnans

All games scheduled for next monday, so they'll try and get the final group games played before then.

Wouldnt say SMG are certs yet, its all to play for down to scoring difference and Calry are at home. If they beat us it comes down to scoring difference as all teams will be on 2pts.. We play them some day this week. Best of luck to our lads.

Quote from: Mano on September 01, 2009, 10:11:18 AM
I don't understand the griping about bias towards Ballymote on the forum here, the match deserved to end up as a draw, the penalty was perfectly legit - a footblock in the penalty area
Poor refereeing in general I agree but to say he was biased is a ridiculous statement - O'Hara once again did ye no favours with his constant complaining.

How can blocking the ball with the hand be called a footblock?
Ballymote are a good side and have given us problems over the last number of years so credit where it is due there. Hopefully we can use that referee decision as motivation for the replay

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 31, 2009, 02:37:09 PM
The above isnt my opinion but, it is that of a well respected neutral. I have to agree with manos take on it from knowing that ref personnally. Wouldnt have him ref a match involving tourletrane, the peno decision was mentioned to me and it wasnt one. It would be akin to me reffing a match involving mayo. Dont get me wrong, I have no bias towards either balymote or tour, glad it was good tight game with plenty of drama.

Sligonian why does he have a dislike of Tourlestrane?

Not worth talking about, just IMO i wouldnt have him in charge of a tour game, certain refs shouldnt get a SMG game like Pat McDermott after last yr. Hughes should never get a Sligo one. Theyre Human and just like me and you we have our likes and dislikes. Ye wont have him the next day.

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 01, 2009, 10:41:23 AM

Tubbercurry v Curry
St. Johns v Coolera
Drumcliff v St. Farnans

Wouldnt say SMG are certs yet, its all to play for down to scoring difference and Calry are at home. If they beat us it comes down to scoring difference as all teams will be on 2pts.. We play them some day this week. Best of luck to our lads.

Well thats true, and the points diff is quite tight so a Calry win could mean any combination of 2 teams progressing. I'd fancy your lot to beat Calry but as you said, with home advantage, you'd never know. By the way, for those interested the semi-final draw was also made with 1 v 3, 2 v 4 in the q-final list I posted above. Hopefully some good quality games ahead.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stevo-08 on September 01, 2009, 10:53:50 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 01, 2009, 10:41:23 AM

Tubbercurry v Curry
St. Johns v Coolera
Drumcliff v St. Farnans

Well thats true, and the points diff is quite tight so a Calry win could mean any combination of 2 teams progressing. I'd fancy your lot to beat Calry but as you said, with home advantage, you'd never know. By the way, for those interested the semi-final draw was also made with 1 v 3, 2 v 4 in the q-final list I posted above. Hopefully some good quality games ahead.
I hope your right Steve, weve a good side, Good to see plenty of North Sligo teams competing aswell, Would obviously prefer to avoid Curry, although seen a cracker last yr in the semis. The minors games can throw up some entertainment on/off the field ;)...

Lads did any of hear any of the results from Manning and Ted Webb Cups this yr? Its over and we were knocked out but Id still like to know how competitive we were..cant find it anywhere on the net.

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 01, 2009, 11:08:57 AM
I hope your right Steve, weve a good side, Good to see plenty of North Sligo teams competing aswell, Would obviously prefer to avoid Curry, although seen a cracker last yr in the semis. The minors games can throw up some entertainment on/off the field ;)...

Lads did any of hear any of the results from Manning and Ted Webb Cups this yr? Its over and we were knocked out but Id still like to know how competitive we were..cant find it anywhere on the net.

Think we were beaten by Offaly by 5-6 points in manning cup semi. However I know we were missing niall murphy for that game who was away on hols, he was one of the best players on that team. I think we had been fairly competitive throughout. Cant remember the results from the webb cup but dont think we got out of the group stage.

On an aside, something that needs to be addressed next year is the fixtures for minors. There's no way minor championsip games should be played on mondays after senior/inter/junior games. Puts alot of unfair pressure on young players to play multiple games in 2-3 days. This weekend's fixtures for example have junior ch'ship games on sunday and minor q-finals on the monday!!! No doubt some players will be asked to play on both days. Minor games should be played on fridays, and then any player required for the adult games on sat/sun can play if not injured/tired.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stevo-08 on September 01, 2009, 11:59:31 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 01, 2009, 11:08:57 AM

Think we were beaten by Offaly by 5-6 points in manning cup semi. However I know we were missing niall murphy for that game who was away on hols, he was one of the best players on that team. I think we had been fairly competitive throughout. Cant remember the results from the webb cup but dont think we got out of the group stage.

On an aside, something that needs to be addressed next year is the fixtures for minors. There's no way minor championsip games should be played on mondays after senior/inter/junior games. Puts alot of unfair pressure on young players to play multiple games in 2-3 days. This weekend's fixtures for example have junior ch'ship games on sunday and minor q-finals on the monday!!! No doubt some players will be asked to play on both days. Minor games should be played on fridays, and then any player required for the adult games on sat/sun can play if not injured/tired.

Cheers for the synopsis on the u16s, not far off anyway by the sounds of things.

Spot on, my Dad was mentining this to me, we have 3 minors starting against Coolera, but with our pull on Bord na Nog I see we got the Calry game postponed, it was fixed for last night. I would hope every club would be treated the same. I actually think our minor championship should be played in July as soon as LC finishes, and depending on how county minors do.  I would agree with playing the minor game before the mens as it gives the minor more importance for them at that age is the right message to send out. Its something that should be reviewed at least and Im sure win/win solution could be found.

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 01, 2009, 12:09:52 PM

Cheers for the synopsis on the u16s, not far off anyway by the sounds of things.

Spot on, my Dad was mentining this to me, we have 3 minors starting against Coolera, but with our pull on Bord na Nog I see we got the Calry game postponed, it was fixed for last night. I would hope every club would be treated the same. I actually think our minor championship should be played in July as soon as LC finishes, and depending on how county minors do.  I would agree with playing the minor game before the mens as it gives the minor more importance for them at that age is the right message to send out. Its something that should be reviewed at least and Im sure win/win solution could be found.

U16 championship was played in july, so minor's only started after those finals were played. That's ok in theory as alot of U16s play minor aswell and it prevents them playing too much. But with the minor league finishing at the end of march (apart from the finals), it meant some clubs (including my own) had a break of almost 5 months between minor league and championship. Thats just wrong!!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stevo-08 on September 01, 2009, 12:26:50 PM

U16 championship was played in july, so minor's only started after those finals were played. That's ok in theory as alot of U16s play minor aswell and it prevents them playing too much. But with the minor league finishing at the end of march (apart from the finals), it meant some clubs (including my own) had a break of almost 5 months between minor league and championship. Thats just wrong!!

Ya that was mentioned all right, wasnt this brought up a County Board convention and was shot down, ok so 1 month for LC, with April/May I preume County, July is u16s, wheres the solution, we should really play league in April/May aswell to be fair to players not on County panels... thatd be a start.

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 01, 2009, 12:35:30 PM
Quote from: stevo-08 on September 01, 2009, 12:26:50 PM

Ya that was mentioned all right, wasnt this brought up a County Board convention and was shot down, ok so 1 month for LC, with April/May I preume County, July is u16s, wheres the solution, we should really play league in April/May aswell to be fair to players not on County panels... thatd be a start.

Yea, to be fair it's definitely a very difficult job, so cant be too critical. I think one of the problems this year was having league q-finals. The original schedule was to complete league by end march, and run the q-finals, s-finals & final in april. May is for county and June for LC. I think they should have just allowed top 2 teams to qualify for semis, and not bother with q-finals at all. Semis & finals could be played within 1 week so it means all clubs could play league games right up to the end of april & forget about playing football in february. Ch'ship groups are decided by league placings so that would ensure league would still be competitive throughout.

Now as it turned out, due to the monsoon conditions in march, the league games did get pushed out by a week or two.

anyway, as I said it's a very difficult job, and no matter what structure is put in place, it'll never be 100% right.

Edit - i forgot to say that the coiste na nog did organise a minor blitz in June/July which was very beneficial to clubs involved. so credit where credit is due..

SLIGONIAN

Was that the minor 7 a side I seen results of a while back? At least there trying to fill in the gaps...