St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

Was at our club game yday, against Bunninaden, very heavy conditions game was played wholeheartdly, got very physical at times, some good scores, jees doohan is still a great asset at club level, he got a good few scores from play, we had strong enough team out, with quinn and g gilsenan the best for us, we were 4 down at ht and cameback to go a pt ahead and bunninaden equalised late on for a draw.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Just reading sligogaa.ie and I see our U-16's have 4 games in a week and one of them is on the same day as Summerhill play in a Connacht juvenile final! So that's at least 5 GAA matches for some of our players in a week. John's are in the same boat. Coiste na nóg are the very people who were talking about burnout when it suited them. Absolute clowns. They are doing nothing for football in the county, if anything they are turning lads away from it. Just get the games played - that's the motto.

3 Junior games and a senior game for us within the space of 5 days starting Wednesday too.

paddypastit

... and no doubt a lot of those lads won't get to kick a ball for 40 odd weeks in an average year which will include at least 10 of the 13 odd weeks between 1 June and 31 August... and then folks wonder why kids are attracted to 'other games'??!!
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

magpie seanie

Exactly. It does my head in and if you complain you are the anti-Christ. They know who I am and it will go back to them/they'll read this themselves so I should really shut up but its just not right. They have zero regard for clubs and people running them.

SLIGONIAN

People dont like to hear the truth, Seanie, do coiste na nog expect people who care about Sligo football to accept this mediocracy?, do they look at themselves ever. Damn right you should complain, because you care people call you the anti Christ, ffs they should take on board your suggestions for the betterment of Sligo underage.  Are they not open to constructive criticism to better Sligo football, if not then fck off id say to them. I hear this every year and whats been done about it. These people over comittees are hailed as heros, giving up their free time but all there doing is holding the county back. Wasnt this brought up at the county convention but it wasnt warmly received...What was the excuse, Leaving cert and holidays etc... fair enough the LC but thats takes up a month what else?.

I always hope what said on here goes back 8). Surely these people can do better, step up to the plate, take on suggestions and get a structure to the underage fixtures to keep lads playing throughout the whole summer.

magpie seanie

Just to update I heard last night that someone in a position of authority but outside Coiste na n-óg spotted the problem and is moving to ease the problem so credit must be given to him.

SLIGONIAN

Fair play to that man, common sense but still worrying that it was fixed that way in the first place and that it took a man outside coiste na nog to fix it.

Westie

Seanie, you probably know who I am, but everytime I have brought up issues on scheduling it is like you are insulting someone when all you want to do is give a possible solution. 
Also when you don't have the numbers, amalgamate is the solution.  I and our club will never agree to this.  We tried it and all we did was lose the lads that would not get on an amalgamated team. I would rather put out a 9 a side team then have 5 lads on a successful amalgamted team. We have too few teams in the county as it is.
This 4 month gap for the minors is ridiculous - we will be playing them all on our second team, just to keep them involved.
Not allowing lads to play for their clubs for months - when did we become professional.  I would never stop a lad playing for his county, in fact I would push them to do it but it is getting harder and harder with these outlandish requests.

Sligonian - I never answered your questions a few weeks back as I was working out of the country.  The good news is that we have 2 lads from the Mayo side of the parish playing with us  on our Feile team as both have Sligo parents.  However I have learned that the Mayo champs Ballina have I believe(not certain yet) their captain from our domain!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Westie on April 28, 2009, 12:21:49 PM
Seanie, you probably know who I am, but everytime I have brought up issues on scheduling it is like you are insulting someone when all you want to do is give a possible solution. 
Also when you don't have the numbers, amalgamate is the solution.  I and our club will never agree to this.  We tried it and all we did was lose the lads that would not get on an amalgamated team. I would rather put out a 9 a side team then have 5 lads on a successful amalgamted team. We have too few teams in the county as it is.
This 4 month gap for the minors is ridiculous - we will be playing them all on our second team, just to keep them involved.
Not allowing lads to play for their clubs for months - when did we become professional.  I would never stop a lad playing for his county, in fact I would push them to do it but it is getting harder and harder with these outlandish requests.

Sligonian - I never answered your questions a few weeks back as I was working out of the country.  The good news is that we have 2 lads from the Mayo side of the parish playing with us  on our Feile team as both have Sligo parents.  However I have learned that the Mayo champs Ballina have I believe(not certain yet) their captain from our domain!

Exactly.

I would always be in favour of amalgamations but NOT at the cost of having individual club teams. I'd have them as additional to help the better lads play at a higher level. A club need to bring everyone with them, for county team purposes the best lads need to play at the highest level. Possibly an organisational nightmare but its the best solution to cater for all I think.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Westie on April 28, 2009, 12:21:49 PM

Sound definitly good to hear, i know its not easy but its great to hear of Sligo people being loyal and sticking with there roots. Westie i know in castleconnor alot of work is being done i wish ye well. Along border areas with Mayo there will always be a struggle with players but we have to keep her lit and keep as many as we can.

SLIGONIAN

Was at our div3 game the other evening against harps, our lads fought hard but getting scores was a problem even though we had a high hr of possession. Fair play to harps though big area i know but at least 10 subs on away game on work night. Harps ran out winners by couple of points late on.

Seen that our minor league qtr final with tubber wasnt played because they couldnt field a team :o, a minor league qtr final and not been able to field is a disgrace for a club like tubber, what is going on, how did they qualify for it... we got a bye but it worries me for Sligo football that happening.

SLIGONIAN

Well lads, in Doha Qatar now, and no email last few days, but at least i can access other websites.

How are our minors fixed for Saturday in Tuam Throw in 7pm, heard theyve done well in recent challenges but i try not to read into them too much, any of ye going?

Were Summerhill in 2 finals lately, I heard they beat Attractas, Colmans and Jarlaths this yr at u16? Id appreciate an update if anyone knows as i could be wrong, how did attractas do aswell this yr?.

I see the Bunnies are running away with DIv2, was home for that league game and we should of won but drew. Sligoper is delighted im sure.

SLIGONIAN

Going to answer my own question here,

Summerhill 3-8 St marys 1-11 Junior A Colleges Final

Summerhill 3-12 st marys 2-6 Juvenile A Colleges Final

Congrats to Liamog, Shane ryenolds and Damien Keenan,

Now keep these lads together with there clubs and county teams and it should be a precursar for some good county teams. Time to change my avatar ;D.

SLIGONIAN

St Molaise gaels drew at home with Shamrock gaels, 10pts a piece, by all accounts we should have won.

Going back to Friday our county juniors lost to Ros juniors, 1-9 to 0-14 at home, Our team had 5 or 6 senior starters including the midfeld, the rest are on the fringes and u21, Ross team was made of 3 senior panelists, u21s and club players.

I personnaly think that result is a disgrace with the strength of team we fielded, and doesnt bold well for Galway. Winning is a good habit no matter what level.

Then i see this on Sligogaa.ie u14 div1

Eastern Harps  0-0          6-12 Castleconnor  Eastern Harps - Gurteen Round 7  harps catchment area is huge, are they doing no work on underage with there senior success??????????? There is something not right there.

magpie seanie

Last things first - Castleconnor have an excellent U-14 team but it does look bad for Harps to be beaten so badly. No doubt they will pick it up in the years to come though.

The junior is disappointing. A home game with so many seniors eligible should have been won. Good to see Keelan progressing through the ranks.

On the club scene we got a good win in an absolute "must win" game. all credit to our lads who put aside the loss of our county players (I'll speak more of that later) to produce a strong performance. Need to add a few more wins but hopefully a corner has been turned. On the junior front we had no league game but beat John's in extra time in the North JFC last Wednesday. Have Calry this Wed and the winners face SMG in the final.

I want though to register my absolute disgust with the county senior football team management for their treatment of the clubs in Sligo who provide the players. The entire county panel were away on Saturday and were hardly able to walk on Sunday when they came back. I understand they were told not to play for their clubs yesterday - on a weekend where they were supposed to. How can this be allowed to happen? If they had to do this what was wrong with the weekend before when there were no club games? Its nothing short of a disgrace. I hear St Mary's refused to play their league game over this nad I say fair play to them. Its about time someone called stop and brought a bit of sense to proceedings. Everyone wants Sligo to succeed but you cannot keep disrespecting clubs and the senior league like this. I can only imagine what I'd be like if we'd lost!