St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

FROM SLIGO GAA.ie. More good news for SLIGO FOOTBALL.

We need Stephen Coen our best forward at this level aswell for the championship, must ave been injured for this game. Ewing coming off is a worry too, must be an injury aswell. Is DAVID MAYE not playing for u21s? I know he is minor again this yr but he was by far our best minor last yr.

The Sligo U-21 Team won the final of the Northwest League tonight in Ballybofey beating Donegal on a 2-08 to 0-07 scoreline. A solid second half display yielded 2-04 with the goals coming from Gary Gaughan and Keelan Cawley. Half time score was Sligo 0-4, Donegal 0-4.

Scorers: Gary Gaughan 1-3 (2f), Eoin McHugh 0-4(2f), Keelan Cawley 1-0, Stephen Gilmartin 0-1.

Team:

1  Mark Rooney

2 Conor Davey

3 Brian Murphy

4 Noel Gaughan

5 Gavin Gilsenan

6 Neil Ewing

7 Keelan Cawley

8 Stephen Gilmartin

9 Michael Hanley

10 Darren Gilsenan

11 James Hynes

12 Conor Brady

13 Gary Gaughan

14 Eoin McHugh

15 Stephen Kilcoyne

Subs: Niall Egan for Darren Gilsenan (Half Time), Paul Brennan for Neil Ewing (44 Mins)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Owenmoresider

The opening league knockings:

Sunday 22nd February 2009
Feile Finals
Team 1   Score   Score   Team 2   Venue   Comment   
Castleconnor    2-10   2-9   St Marys    Markievicz Park   

Senior League Division 1
Curry    1-16   1-5   Castleconnor    Curry   Round 1    
Tourlestrane    1-11   1-7   Coolera-Strandhill    Tourlestrane   Round 1    
Eastern Harps    1-10   1-9   Tubbercurry    Eastern Harps - Keash   Round 1    
Ballymote    0-13   1-7   Geevagh    Ballymote   Round 1   

Senior League Division 2
Bunninadden    2-8   0-10   Shamrock Gaels    Bunninadden   Round 1    
Easkey    0-7   0-6   St Marys    Easkey   Round 1    
St Johns    2-7   1-8   Calry/St Josephs    St Johns   Round 1    

Senior League Division 3
Coolaney/Mullinabreena    0-9   0-9   St Patricks    Coolaney/Mullinabreena   Round 1    
Cloonacool    0-13   1-5   St Molaise Gaels    St Molaise Gaels   Round 1    

Senior League Division 4
St Michaels    0-11   1-11   Owenmore Gaels    St Michaels   Round 1    

U-18 League Division 1 Section 1
Eastern Harps    2-9   2-9   Enniscrone/Kilglass    Eastern Harps - Keash      
Coolaney/Mullinabreena    1-7   1-8   St Farnans    Coolaney/Mullinabreena      

U-18 League Division 1 Section 2
Drumcliffe Rosses Point    3-3   6-7   St Johns    Drumcliffe      
Ballymote/Bunninadden    3-6   2-9   Calry/St Josephs    Bunninadden      
St Marys    0-7   1-5   St Molaise Gaels    St Marys   

U-18 League Division 2
Owenmore Gaels    2-2   7-17   St Patricks    Owenmore Gaels      
Shamrock Gaels    2-11   1-8   Geevagh    Riverstown Park      

Saturday 21st February 2009
Senior League Division 2
St Farnans    2-5   1-8   St Molaise Gaels    St Farnans   Round 1

Senior League Division 3
Eastern Harps    1-6   2-7   Drumcliffe Rosses Point    Eastern Harps - Keash   Round 1    
Enniscrone/Kilglass    0-10   3-7   St Michaels    Enniscrone   Round 1   

Senior League Division 4
St Marys    0-8   1-12   Tourlestrane    St Marys   Round 1    
Coolera-Strandhill    1-3   1-12   Ballymote    Coolera   Round 1    
Curry    3-10   0-4   Ballisodare    Curry   Round 1    

U-18 League Division 2
St Michaels    0-6   5-10   Castleconnor    St Michaels

Good result for Castleconnor in the Feile, not so good in the senior. The other D1 results went as expected. Easkey, John's and the Bunnies got good wins in D2, Michael's, Drumcliffe and Cloonacool in D3, and a few easy wins in D4. Ballisodare look to be in bad shape, Coolera not doing much better, while we got the points in a scrappy aul' game in Ballintogher, the going was soft to put it mildly. Not impressive, but a win's a win. Sets us up for part two of the three neighbourly league meetings next weekend.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 21, 2009, 04:13:16 AM

We need Stephen Coen our best forward at this level aswell for the championship, must ave been injured for this game. Ewing coming off is a worry too, must be an injury aswell. Is DAVID MAYE not playing for u21s? I know he is minor again this yr but he was by far our best minor last yr.

Stephen Henry and Patrick Greene are also missing from the lineup - I think Henry has been injured lately. Ewing has been playing a lot of games lately with County, club and NUIG in the Sigerson so was probably given a rest when the result was in the bag.

magpie seanie

I think Henry is injured. He didn't play for Tourlestrane against our seniors at the weekend from what I hear.

magpie seanie

Congrats to Castleconnor on the Feile win. That's a huge achievement for a club with a really small pick. They do serious work out there fair play to them. Hope they have a great time and i'm sure they will represent Sligo well.

Westie

Thanks Seanie - didn't want to come on blowing our own trumpet(but here I go). The final was what you would hope for in a final, a brillant match from both teams.  We are very lucky with that group coming through and we had as you know a few classics with yourselvesr 2-3 years back where it took a lot of extra time and replays to get a result(in yer favour).
They are a good bunch who all seem to love the game.  If they keep it up definitely 2 class forwards there for the future and at least 1 defender.
Sligonian will be happy to hear we had 2 players from the Mayo part of the parish who only want to play for us and Sligo, so things are beginning to look up on that front.
Numbers is a problem with our subs all aged 10, but one day out like that every few years is very rewarding.

Senior - the less said the better but the lads who have gone are a massive loss.  The lads replacing them are good but are too young and light at the moment but their time will come.

Division 2 this year is where all the interesting battles will be, you could not pick who would go up or down.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 21, 2009, 04:13:16 AM

The Sligo U-21 Team won the final of the Northwest League tonight in Ballybofey beating Donegal on a 2-08 to 0-07 scoreline. A solid second half display yielded 2-04 with the goals coming from Gary Gaughan and Keelan Cawley. Half time score was Sligo 0-4, Donegal 0-4.

Scorers: Gary Gaughan 1-3 (2f), Eoin McHugh 0-4(2f), Keelan Cawley 1-0, Stephen Gilmartin 0-1.

Team:

1  Mark Rooney

2 Conor Davey

3 Brian Murphy

4 Noel Gaughan

5 Gavin Gilsenan

6 Neil Ewing

7 Keelan Cawley

8 Stephen Gilmartin

9 Michael Hanley

10 Darren Gilsenan

11 James Hynes

12 Conor Brady

13 Gary Gaughan

14 Eoin McHugh

15 Stephen Kilcoyne

Subs: Niall Egan for Darren Gilsenan (Half Time), Paul Brennan for Neil Ewing (44 Mins)

That's a decent Under 21 team ye have there lads. And considering ye've a decent draw, ye've a great chance to win Connacht. I thought David Kelly was still under 21, no? Was it 2007 or 06 that he came onto the senior team while still in St Attracta's?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

magpie seanie

Yeah, its a decent squad alright. Most of us would have quiet hopes for them (except Sligonian who doesn't do quiet!).

Westie as you said Div 2 is going to be fierce tight. Very hard to predict anything with it. Div 1 is going to be similar though possibly not to the same extent. Vital to get some points on the board early. We did last year and it makes a big difference.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Westie on February 23, 2009, 12:47:53 PM
Thanks Seanie - didn't want to come on blowing our own trumpet(but here I go). The final was what you would hope for in a final, a brillant match from both teams.  We are very lucky with that group coming through and we had as you know a few classics with yourselvesr 2-3 years back where it took a lot of extra time and replays to get a result(in yer favour).
They are a good bunch who all seem to love the game.  If they keep it up definitely 2 class forwards there for the future and at least 1 defender.
Sligonian will be happy to hear we had 2 players from the Mayo part of the parish who only want to play for us and Sligo, so things are beginning to look up on that front.
Numbers is a problem with our subs all aged 10, but one day out like that every few years is very rewarding.

Senior - the less said the better but the lads who have gone are a massive loss.  The lads replacing them are good but are too young and light at the moment but their time will come.

Division 2 this year is where all the interesting battles will be, you could not pick who would go up or down.

That is great hear Westie, I want all clubs to maximise there potential for the good of SLIGO football, keep it up.

Westie how is Niall Judges recovery from injury going? He needs to be kept a eye on and not lost to GAA as he was massive loss to sligo minors last yr.

On the u21s I knew Henry was stil underage but didnt know why he was unavailable, will he be back does anyone know?, Himself and Gilmartin were perfect foils for each other last yr. Burns from my club will push Hanley for his place though so good competition and cover there.

Paddy greene was outstanding against Galway minors in carrick the yr they went on to win All Ireland. Would be a good addition. Keelan cawley was class that day too. Need Coen fully fit though, extra scoring power, will he be back. Good to see Eoin back to form and Gavin Gilsenan got our Club player of the year, Congrat to him.

I cant argue with that Seanie i dont do quiet, I expect Sligo u21s to win Connacht. Im going to go to alot of trouble to get home for that final if we get to it, not coming home to see us lose. If leitrim beat us in the semi my partially made plans are screwed :-\.

Sligoper

Glad to see league getting underway, Curry and Tour to be the favourites this year. Bunnies to win everything else :P

Hopefully Sligo U21s do the busines, they've a good manager in Fla and i think he's learn't alot from last year.

On a final note, came across this in work, the Sligo players involved in the Sigerson this weekend. Fantastic acheivement. Where's Gilmartin though? All the best to them.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=10984.270
Go on the Bunnies!

magpie seanie

Yeah - was away for a few weeks so hoping to play this weekend for the first time this season. Very short on numbers with injuries and what not for both seniors and juniors around our way. Need to start picking up a few results.

SLIGONIAN

Div2 Shamrock Gaels 0-13 St Molaise Gaels 1-3
In Div 3 we lost to Pats. Were going struggle this yr, the seniors are playing alot of intermediates who really are only junior standard players, because a lack of commitment of some of best players who dont turn up for every game. Disappointing but we have get our strongest team out every week or we have no chance in Div2.

Our SMG Seniors were missing last weekend Martin Feeny, Eoin McHugh, Peter Wilson, Cathal Burns, Gavin and Darren Gilsenan and Conor Loughlin.. wont have a chance if that continues, most were injured. Burns was on NUIGs panel fair play to him. just thought id add this in.

Our website is worth a look, well done to all involved.

http://www.molaisegaels.com/

Sligo Ladies thumped Wexford, the venue choice is a bit crazy though, brought them out to castleconnor, not like they had far enough to travel already.

Sligo hurlers had a disappointing loss to Fermanagh at home where the goals killed us, 0-15 to 2-11. But were missing Raymond and seevers (maybe retired).

From Independant.ie Fermanagh sealed a two-point victory over Sligo at Markievicz Park yesterday with Andrew Breslin's goal in the 68th minute proving crucial as the Ernesiders bagged the points.

SCORERS -- Fermanagh: K Keogh 1-1, A Breslin 1-0, D McGarry 0-3 (0-2f), R Bogue, S Curran 0-2 each, J Duffy (0-1f), S Corrigan, B McGarry 0-1 each. Sligo : C Herity 0-10 (0-9f ), M Gilmartin, J Bannerton, C Brennan, D Burke, S Lynch 0-1 each.

Fermanagh -- P McEvoy; F Bannon, C McGarry, C Rice; F McBrien, M Slevin, B Smyth; R Bogue, D McGarry (capt); J Duffy, B McGarry, S Curran; P McGoldrick, K Keogh, S Corrigan. Subs: A Breslin for McGoldrick (31), D Curran for S Curran (h-t), S Curran for D Curran (55, y/c), D Slevin for J P McGarry (66, y/c)

SLIGO -- M Kearney; N Cadden, M Burke, F Coyne (capt); J Mullins, R Cox, L Reidy; C Herity, C Brennan; M Gilmartin, D Burke, M Fitzsimons; J Bannerton, M Shelly, S Lynch

Subs: C Hackett for Reidy (21, y/c)

magpie seanie

Well we did pick up points in both Div 1 and Div 4 so I suppose that was the primary goal. Seniors were very short and perhaps rode their luck to beat Geevagh whose indicipline really cost them (2 sent off for the second week in a row). Our juniors got a walkover from Mary's who seem to be struggling badly for numbers this early in the season.

Elsewhere Tourlsetrane's big win over Harps is an eyebrow raiser. Those that saw them last week against us reckoened they weren't going all that great but maybe they had a few players back this weekend. Ballymote made it 2 out of 2 against Curry, an 8 point half time lead being decisive. Tubber beat Castleconnor in a high scoring encounter by the looks of things.

Mary's are struggling in Div 2, well beaten by Bunninadden and rock bottom of the table. John's for once seem to have their act together early season - could be a sign of a good year for them. Winning by 6 in Easkey is a good result for anyone. Calry would have wanted more than a draw at home to Farnans. Shamrock Gaels had a good home win against Molaise that they needed to get them opff and running. Drumcliffe and Michaels, perhaps surprisingly, set the pace in Div 3, both with two good wins under their belts. Eastern Harps second team should come into the reckoning at some point as well.

Curry seconds are the class of the field in Div 4 boasting numbers that many club first teams would be envious of. Ballymote's double jobbers ensure they keep pace at the top for now. Ballisodare's traditional early season struggles continue.

Sligonian - I'd say the ladies just have trouble getting a pitch and especially with the weather not being great. Expect widespread postponements next weekend.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 02, 2009, 10:03:19 AM
Well we did pick up points in both Div 1 and Div 4 so I suppose that was the primary goal. Seniors were very short and perhaps rode their luck to beat Geevagh whose indicipline really cost them (2 sent off for the second week in a row). Our juniors got a walkover from Mary's who seem to be struggling badly for numbers this early in the season.

Elsewhere Tourlsetrane's big win over Harps is an eyebrow raiser. Those that saw them last week against us reckoened they weren't going all that great but maybe they had a few players back this weekend. Ballymote made it 2 out of 2 against Curry, an 8 point half time lead being decisive. Tubber beat Castleconnor in a high scoring encounter by the looks of things.

Mary's are struggling in Div 2, well beaten by Bunninadden and rock bottom of the table. John's for once seem to have their act together early season - could be a sign of a good year for them. Winning by 6 in Easkey is a good result for anyone. Calry would have wanted more than a draw at home to Farnans. Shamrock Gaels had a good home win against Molaise that they needed to get them opff and running. Drumcliffe and Michaels, perhaps surprisingly, set the pace in Div 3, both with two good wins under their belts. Eastern Harps second team should come into the reckoning at some point as well.

Curry seconds are the class of the field in Div 4 boasting numbers that many club first teams would be envious of. Ballymote's double jobbers ensure they keep pace at the top for now. Ballisodare's traditional early season struggles continue.

Sligonian - I'd say the ladies just have trouble getting a pitch and especially with the weather not being great. Expect widespread postponements next weekend.

Weathers pretty bad out here too 8).

Are county players playing Club fixtures this yr? Seanie, wheres McPartland?

Any Sligo lads on here going to London this weekend? Is it on Ocean fm do ye know?

magpie seanie

In reverse order:

The game is on Ocean FM next week. It is rare I listen to Ocean but had it on in the car and Tommy Clarke told us he is doing live and exclusive commentary from "Roy - slip".

Not going to London myself and haven't heard of anyone going.

John McPartland played for us yesterday and did fine. Still a bit of work to do before he comes into contention with the county but he's training away with them. He'll be there or thereabouts in a few weeks I'd say.

County players were playing the last two weeks.

My heart goes out to you on the weather front! I'm sure its torture!