Mayo v Armagh- Round 3 Qualifier

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 24, 2019, 11:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 29, 2019, 12:50:49 PM
Mayo won the u20 all-ireland last year; how many them lads starting the day. Should be about 5 at least. Donegal renewed their team over a 3yr period without dropping out the top 5. No reason Mayo cant do the same.

Mayo won the 2016 U21 All Ireland. E O’Donoghue; M Ruane, S Coen; F Boland, C Loftus, D O’Connor; M Plunkett. J Carr are now on the team/bench or be it two of them are now ruled out though injury.

U20 is a poor mans U21 competition.  Donegal had a good U21 team in 2017 that arguably would have won that All Ireland if Donegal senior management didn't wear out those players by playing them in the McKenna cup and NFL that year. U21 level was was a great bridge to senior level though and now you have a replacement competition that is poorly scheduled and where a lot of its best U20 players aren't even playing for their counties. 

Angelo

Mayo won the u20 all-ireland last year; how many them lads starting the day. Should be about 5 at least. Donegal renewed their team over a 3yr period without dropping out the top 5. No reason Mayo cant do the same.

Donegal have managed to renew their team relatively quickly but they had a lot of low points in the Gallagher era. 2017 saw them get absolutely destroyed by both Tyrone and Galway.

I think when a squad goes through a bit of a transition you are generally looking at 2-3 years where you will fall off to a certain scale. Donegal definitely fell off since McGuinness left - I certainly wouldn't have considered them genuine All Ireland contenders in that time - this year I would. This is the 5th year post McGuinness, Gallagher would have got a lot of stick when he was over Donegal but that's what happens when you have overhaul a squad of great players. He gave a lot of those youngsters their break around 2015/16 and 3/4 years later they are really beginning to look like top intercounty players. Guys like Hugh McFadden, Jamie Brennan, Langan, McMenamin, Ban Gallagher all have 3/4/5 years experience at this level and are all beginning to look the part.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Blowitupref

Quote from: Angelo on June 29, 2019, 02:12:25 PM

Donegal have managed to renew their team relatively quickly but they had a lot of low points in the Gallagher era. 2017 saw them get absolutely destroyed by both Tyrone and Galway.

I think when a squad goes through a bit of a transition you are generally looking at 2-3 years where you will fall off to a certain scale. Donegal definitely fell off since McGuinness left - I certainly wouldn't have considered them genuine All Ireland contenders in that time - this year I would. This is the 5th year post McGuinness, Gallagher would have got a lot of stick when he was over Donegal but that's what happens when you have overhaul a squad of great players. He gave a lot of those youngsters their break around 2015/16 and 3/4 years later they are really beginning to look like top intercounty players. Guys like Hugh McFadden, Jamie Brennan, Langan, McMenamin, Ban Gallagher all have 3/4/5 years experience at this level and are all beginning to look the part.

A lot of those players would have played under a Declan Bonner managed U21 team and maybe its a case he knows those players better than most and can get the best out of them?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Halfquarter

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 28, 2019, 03:17:10 PM
I'm quite worried about tomorrow, I could see a potential banana skin popping up again in the qualifiers again. However, if they make it out alive I can still see Mayo giving any team, Dublin included, a proper game in a once off. I also believe Mayo are still the best placed team to challenge the dubs. I see this year as a last roll of the dice, if not this year I think it could be a quiet decade.

Cannot see much point in talking about challenging the Dubs when we have no guarantee of making it out of the qualifiers.
Also, a big disadvantage of the qualifiers is the amount of injuries that could be picked up, not to mention possibly one or two suspensions as well.
If we are still standing at the end of the qualifiers we'll hopefully have a better idea of where the team stand.

larryin89

Cillian is on the bench , so is James Carr.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

giveballaghback

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 29, 2019, 11:49:05 AM
Quote from: giveballaghback on June 28, 2019, 11:55:16 PM
Eamon Fitzmaurice has a nice article about Mayo and their style of play in Saturdays examiner, at last someone has the balls to say publicly what everyone knows.
Yerra, he could be right for all I know.  ;D
Telling him he's a gobshite won't change anything even if it is the truth.
It's not really relevant to what he has had to say about Mayo'd gamesmanship but people in glasshouse really shouldn't throw stones.
Under his watch, Kerry were masters of technical fouling. Cynical in the extreme
and they probably still are.  If you noticed, Kerry seldom gave away frees withing
scoring distance but would pull and draw away further outfield id the opposition
mounted an attack that looked dangerous.

That doesn't alter the credibility or otherwise of what he has to say but his remarks about Lee Keegan is another matter.

Leeroy tried , in vain as it turned out, to distract a freetaker at a crucial stage of the most important game of his life.
That was gamesmanship without a doubt but it's hypocritical to latch onto that incident while ignoring the facts of life. Cynicism is a hallmark of modern football and it's dog eat dog out there on the field whenever a Gaelic match is played.
Alan Brogan saw nothing wrong with what Keegan did. He said he'd have done the same under the same circumstances. Philly McMahon said he'd fire his shirt at the freetaker if he thought he'd get away with it.
Crocodile tears have no place in modern day football.
And talking about hypocrisy, why has there been  no mention from Keegan's critics about the gamesmanship of Cormac Costello , just after "Keegan's transgression?"
Costello prevented David Clarke taking a kickout by running up to the tee and booting the ball into the crowd.
Leeroy did not succeed in doing what he was trying to do whereas Costello certainly did.
So why demonise one while ignoring the other?
Don't think any sensible person will pay a lot of attention of what Eamonn "Sour Grapes" Fitzmaurice has to say about anything; his credibility is shot and , btw, so is yours if you think like he does.

[/quo
Is that where the game is going, kerry or Tyrone doing it justifies mayo doing it or any other team doing it, the answer I would have expected from anyone who loves our games is that this behaviour must stop. The longer we let it go the more acceptable it gets. I hear my own county supporters saying we need a lee keegan type player on our team, my answer is no way but I know in my heart it will happen.
Until the powers that be act it wont happen and while the attitude of supporters is what you reflected in your reply to my post remain then the powers that be wont act.
have a nice day.

BennyCake

Are BBC Radio 6 Counties providing match commentary?

MayoBuck

Quote from: giveballaghback on June 29, 2019, 04:06:47 PM
Eamon Fitzmaurice has a nice article about Mayo and their style of play in Saturdays examiner, at last someone has the balls to say publicly what everyone knows.
It's not really relevant to what he has had to say about Mayo'd gamesmanship but people in glasshouse really shouldn't throw stones.
Under his watch, Kerry were masters of technical fouling. Cynical in the extreme
and they probably still are.  If you noticed, Kerry seldom gave away frees withing
scoring distance but would pull and draw away further outfield id the opposition

That doesn't alter the credibility or otherwise of what he has to say but his remarks about Lee Keegan is another matter.

Leeroy tried , in vain as it turned out, to distract a freetaker at a crucial stage of the most important game of his life.
That was gamesmanship without a doubt but it's hypocritical to latch onto that incident while ignoring the facts of life. Cynicism is a hallmark of modern football and it's dog eat dog out there on the field whenever a Gaelic match is played.
Alan Brogan saw nothing wrong with what Keegan did. He said he'd have done the same under the same circumstances. Philly McMahon said he'd fire his shirt at the freetaker if he thought he'd get away with it.
And talking about hypocrisy, why has there been  no mention from Keegan's critics about the gamesmanship of Cormac Costello , just after "Keegan's transgression?"
Costello prevented David Clarke taking a kickout by running up to the tee and booting the ball into the crowd.
Leeroy did not succeed in doing what he was trying to do whereas Costello certainly did.
Don't think any sensible person will pay a lot of attention of what Eamonn "Sour Grapes" Fitzmaurice has to say about anything; his credibility is shot and , btw, so is yours if you think like he does.

[/quo
Is that where the game is going, kerry or Tyrone doing it justifies mayo doing it or any other team doing it, the answer I would have expected from anyone who loves our games is that this behaviour must stop. The longer we let it go the more acceptable it gets. I hear my own county supporters saying we need a lee keegan type player on our team, my answer is no way but I know in my heart it will happen.
Until the powers that be act it wont happen and while the attitude of supporters is what you reflected in your reply to my post remain then the powers that be wont act.
have a nice day.

Maybe if someone wrote a balanced piece on what should be done instead of singling out 1 county to try and get a reaction?

From the Bunker

He can write all he wants about us. There won't be to many columns filled about us this season.  Suppose he has to get his two pence worth before we are yesterdays news for another season!

Halfquarter

Quote from: giveballaghback on June 29, 2019, 04:06:47 PM

[/quo
have a nice day.

Is this the man you are talking about ?

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/lee-keegan-mayo-roscommon-132739

Farrandeelin

Treacy starting instead of McLoughlin.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

dec

Quote from: BennyCake on June 29, 2019, 04:18:54 PM
Are BBC Radio 6 Counties providing match commentary?

Doesn't look like it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl8w

but maybe it is
https://twitter.com/bbcchampionship/status/1144992331768184834

All-Ireland qualifiers- Round 3
Kildare v Tyrone 17:00 Mayo v Armagh 19:00
Live on BBC Radio Ulster 1341MW @ 16:45

▶️https://bbc.in/2IWVQ9K

kerryforsam19

Expect Mayo to win 10/15 points. Armagh had their All Ireland beating Monaghan last week

Blowitupref

There are 4 change to Mayo starting team, Colm Boyle, Ciaran Treacy, Jason Doherty & Darren Coen replace Michael Plunkett, Donal Vaughan, Kevin McLoughlin & Fergal Boland
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Over the Bar

Nice display of comedy defending from both sides in the first 8 minutes!  :D