Words used incorrectly that get on your tits.

Started by AZOffaly, July 08, 2015, 01:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 08, 2015, 01:50:52 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 08, 2015, 01:48:18 PM
The double-is is starting to drive me mental.

Explain?

Two consecutive is's, usually with the emphasis on the first.

The thing is is that everybody's at it. Everywhere - it's more common now (it seems to me) than the correct construction and heard all over the international media. I've never seen it written, though.

The problem is is nobody seems to notice.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ballinaman on July 08, 2015, 01:53:33 PM
Don't know if this is suited for this thread but being in a whatsapp conversation and the other person sends a separate message for each line of text one after another.....just hit return FFS and send it all together.

I know, that really gets on my tits!!  Like, come on, sort it out people!

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on July 08, 2015, 01:56:34 PM
The thing is is that everybody's at it.

Would that not be better expressed as "the thing is, is that everybody's at it"? It's, like, you know, 'you know'.

AZOffaly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 08, 2015, 01:57:26 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 08, 2015, 01:53:33 PM
Don't know if this is suited for this thread but being in a whatsapp conversation and the other person sends a separate message for each line of text one after another.....just hit return FFS and send it all together.

I know, that really gets on my tits!!  Like, come on, sort it out people!
I agree.

AZOffaly

AZOffaly

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 08, 2015, 01:52:57 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 08, 2015, 01:49:24 PM
Also for free.

I must admit I use that myself, but I'd have said that's more grammatical or colloquial as opposed to the wrong word per se.

That's the thing. I find it very hard NOT to use it, now that it's become the universal form. My understanding, from memory and experience is that "free" was an abbreviation for "free of charge". Then somebody added "for" as a kind of joke syntax. I think I heard it first in ads. "We're not offering it for €10; we're not offering it for €5; we're offering it for free."

Hardy

Quote from: deiseach on July 08, 2015, 01:58:36 PM
The thing is is that everybody's at it.

Would that not be better expressed as "the thing is, is that everybody's at it"? It's, like, you know, 'you know'.

That was the case. The comma was there to be heard as it was spoken. But it's become such a standard usage now that people run the two is's together. "The thing is-is ..."

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 08, 2015, 01:50:52 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 08, 2015, 01:48:18 PM
The double-is is starting to drive me mental.

Explain?

Two consecutive is's, usually with the emphasis on the first.

The thing is is that everybody's at it. Everywhere - it's more common now (it seems to me) than the correct construction and heard all over the international media. I've never seen it written, though.

The problem is is nobody seems to notice.

I have to say it isn't something I have ever noticed

dec

deiseach

Quote from: dec on July 08, 2015, 02:20:36 PM
I could care less.

It's not something I like, but I get it. I could care less if I tried but I care so little that I can't summon up the energy to care less, that's how little I care. Besides, you don't argue with Jimmy McNulty.

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on July 08, 2015, 02:23:12 PM
Quote from: dec on July 08, 2015, 02:20:36 PM
I could care less.

It's not something I like, but I get it. I could care less if I tried but I care so little that I can't summon up the energy to care less, that's how little I care. Besides, you don't argue with Jimmy McNulty.

No. I'm not having that :) It's an Americanism as far as I can see, and it literally means 'It's impossible for me to care less about this' i.e. 'I couldn't care less'.