Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 30, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman

GAA-SMART

Well done to all involved in this. Hopefully its a continuation of the last few years, maybe even with abit of off the record help from Sugrue

blueandwhite1

Definitely an imaginative appointment. Will bring energy and enthusiasm and I'd say lads will want to play for him.

I'd say he will be quick to talk to some of the lads who are thinking of retiring.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Happy with the appointment, but would've been happier if Sugrue was still involved.

BallyroanAbu

Excellent appointment I listen to Quirkes podcast most weeks,  again I would be happier with Laois based coaches or Sugrue remaining.  With some of the names going round this is a lot better, fair play to the County Board. 

les Antiques

It'll be interesting to see his backroom team and who is involved from Laois .

town1980

Interesting appointment please god it works who has he managed.? I don't know much about him is all? Gutted John has left and he will be missed I think it's a tough job ahead for the new management team and a tough guy to follow so let's see how it pans out

High Fielder

Good luck to him. It's a better appointment than I expected. He has a difficult task following Sugrue for a number of reasons, but he can only do his best. I'm assuming he spoke to John before agreeing to take the job, because there's not much you could find fault in when looking at Sugrue's time. Any deficiencies we had under Sugrue were not of his making. He made the Senior team better, unlike other coaches who probably didn't get the best out of what they had available to them. I hope Quirke can make his mark for all our sakes, but I'm still shook up about Sugrue.

Chrimtain

My initial reaction was that this is a good appointment for Laois. Of course time will tell, but I get the impression that he is a good motivator and may be able to persuade lads who have been considering retirement to play for the county. I would like to think that he has been in communication with John Sugrue and may have been persuaded by him to take on the job. Hopefully, its onwards and upwards.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

For anyone who's still wondering what this is all about read this::
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/09/12/breaking-new-laois-senior-football-manager-revealed/

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Smurfy123

Excellent appointment because you listen to his podcast? He talks a lot of waffle he does. Talking easier than managing. Prepare to fail. I'll touch back in a few months

Don Draper

Quirke is a very intelligent, clued in operator. He's a good and well respected coach and has performed at the top level of the game too. He's as good as we could hope for post Sugrue, and possibly even better than we could have hoped for. The backroom team will be interesting.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Smurfy123 on September 13, 2019, 08:59:05 AM
Excellent appointment because you listen to his podcast? He talks a lot of waffle he does. Talking easier than managing. Prepare to fail. I'll touch back in a few months

f**k off Poacher, back to Down forum.

Tony

To be honest, I thought we were going to get an awful appointment like Evans or a TOF like person. But to be fair, this is an imaginative and frankly exciting appointment. Hopefully the players agree. Well done to all involved in getting him in. To those who think it's a bad appointment - who were the alternatives - any outstanding canditates? Don't think so. Hopefully upwards from here, I was fearing the worst. But there's no doubt that is a positive appointment. Word is he's pally with Sugrue so hopefully John will help him get settled in, too.

SCFC

Quote from: Tony on September 13, 2019, 11:43:56 AM
Word is he's pally with Sugrue so hopefully John will help him get settled in, too.
Maybe he'll need a good physio?! One that used to manage the team would be handy...