?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Square Ball

To pose a question here...

how would Celtic and possibly Rangers make it into the EPL, would they have to start in Div 2 and work up? cant see them being "Invited" into the prem over the teams form the championship, they wont increase the size as they are looking to decrease the numbers in the future. any ideas ???
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ClosetotheHarte

Just to show what Celtic are up against, here's a list of annual TV revenues the major clubs receive that I found on another site. The top 3 clubs negotiate their own TV deals, with the EPL negotiating for all of its clubs (with higher placed teams getting the most). The EPL revenues are due to rise even more from next season.

Barcelona £81.4m
Real Madrid £77.54m
AC Milan £67.82m
Man Utd £30.65m
Chelsea £30.41m
Liverpool £28.83m
Arsenal £28.72m

As long as Celtic are in the SPL they cannot compete with these clubs, even though they are potentially as big a club as any one of them and potentially bigger than most.
The incredible thing is that Celtic made circa £18million profit in the last 6 months and only get about £2million a year in TV revenue. And nearly every year they make it into the top 20 clubs in the world for turnover, without any of the TV money the others get.
There is some talk of Celtic negotiating their own deal like the Barcelonas and Real Madrids do but I'm not sure if it can/will happen. Getting into the EPL is the dream for Celtic but that looks unlikely.
I find it pathetic how much criticism Celtic get after drawing home and away with Milan (who are suddenly seen as an average side as a result!) when you look at the difference in TV revenue between the 2 clubs.
Despite these drawbacks Celtic are building a good team at the moment and will have close on 20 million to spend this summer. Two or three quality additions will make a huge difference for next season's CL.

ClosetotheHarte

Quote from: Square Ball on March 09, 2007, 09:28:11 PM
To pose a question here...

how would Celtic and possibly Rangers make it into the EPL, would they have to start in Div 2 and work up? cant see them being "Invited" into the prem over the teams form the championship, they wont increase the size as they are looking to decrease the numbers in the future. any ideas ???

It looks like a near impossible task for Celtic to get straight into the EPL. Because of the huge sums of TV money now available nobody is ever going to agree to let Celtic in.
One idea that I've heard talked about is buying up a struggling Championship club and eventually getting in that way through time.

lfdown2

lads not sure why this is being discussed, as much as it is needed it is a non-issue, the english clubs dont want it and the sfa/spl wont allow it so there is no issue!

good young backbone to the team, need a quality striker and midfield player in the summer that could push us one step further in europe, the domestic scene seems tobe tied up for a few years unles we see hearts spending because quite frankly rangers dont have the cash and wont have a win tomorrow and next week against falkirk then we can look forward to the cup final and summer targets!

its happy times for the hoops and hopefully happier ahead!

ClosetotheHarte

Quote from: lfdown2 on March 10, 2007, 11:52:15 PM
lads not sure why this is being discussed, as much as it is needed it is a non-issue, the english clubs dont want it and the sfa/spl wont allow it so there is no issue!

good young backbone to the team, need a quality striker and midfield player in the summer that could push us one step further in europe, the domestic scene seems tobe tied up for a few years unles we see hearts spending because quite frankly rangers dont have the cash and wont have a win tomorrow and next week against falkirk then we can look forward to the cup final and summer targets!

Agree with everything. These are good times for Celtic and WILL get even better.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: lfdown2 on March 10, 2007, 11:52:15 PM

falling revenues in epl will make them again look to 'spice up' the epl and the obv and easy answer is invitng a few scots clubs in.
It may take a 'breakaway'  british league for this to happen, so epl wont have a say, neither will the chairmen or clubs not invited into such a breakaway league.

Celtic might have 20 million to spend, but they wil hardly spend it.
Strachan would be more comfortable with a 3 million budget than a 20 million one.
Martin oneill was actually very similar in this.
Both need to learn that aspect of management.
Strachan has done well, but even with money and better players, I am not so sure he could send them out to play like milan, barca or lyon

ONeill

0-0 after 36.

Celtic fairly much in control.

McGeady running a plenty.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

hairyhog

anyone wanting to watch the live stream can at

http://www.myp2p.eu/Matches/Match7.htm

you will have to have tv ants downloaded first though

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vw4a14

Square Ball

IMHO PPmate is better, at least TVants is in English!!!

hairyhog

Square Ball, can a live stream of setanta be found anyehere? would be useful for the SPL/GAA games

Square Ball

cant find one for GAA, but myp2p cover a lot of SPL, there was even an EC league match on Friday night

lynchbhoy

rangers might not have deserved the win on the balance of play, but they defended well and spoiled celtic's game. Thats what Celtic tried to do in europe. OK rangers looked dreadful in the first half, but they gave 100% effort to make last ditch tackles and even put off the shooting celtic forwards/midfielders when the def was breached.
Celtics problem is that they cannot score- or find it difficult to score.
If you cant put more than one or two goals past the likes of dunfermiline, hearts, falkirk etc - how the heck are they gonna ever score against the decent euro sides.
It has been said that celtic are looking for another decent striker - JVOH is a very good centre forward, but kenny miller is a disaster -although he tries and works very hard- he just cannot shoot.
Beattie is also not good enough, and Zurawski lacks pace enough for europe - although is perfect for SPL/EPL.

Almost a good result for celtic - in not their fans- as it will let them see that its not all rosy and changes still need to be made.

wasnt impressed by pressley and mcmanus. Rather biasedly I think young ODea is a far bette defensive prospect than the two of them.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

While the defeat means nothing in terms of this season's title the manner of Rangers win might be a bit worrying for Celtic. Coming to Celtic Park and surviving an onslaught before heading off with a narrow win was the hallmark of previous Walter Smith (and Ally McCoist) Rangers teams....what happened yesterday might well be a big confidence boost for them for next season.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 12, 2007, 12:22:19 PM
While the defeat means nothing in terms of this season's title the manner of Rangers win might be a bit worrying for Celtic. Coming to Celtic Park and surviving an onslaught before heading off with a narrow win was the hallmark of previous Walter Smith (and Ally McCoist) Rangers teams....what happened yesterday might well be a big confidence boost for them for next season.
the only part that would be worrying for Celtic is the notion of that in itself. PEople will hark back to when walter smiths teams used to routinely beat celtic
but most will also forget that in his last couple of seasons at ibrox, smith himself became victim to the same kind of results and performances - which signalled the end to his rangers managerial tenure...

that people will state that walter/rangers have an indian sign over celtic could get to the players/fans etc - but I think it would not get to the management. G Strachan is a looney and will take such losses very personally and will be looking for revenge - he always looks to buck the trend and this will just add fuel to his fire.
Rangers will take confidence from this result, but as they were so bad (and they were really bad yesterday as well) everything will improve for them.
They need some serious injection of players as if Celtic had anyone who could shoot - then it would have been a massacre.
It was the most dominant that I had seen Celtic in a derby game - in the first half, and it was obv their complacency, as they fell to pieces and couldnt even pass the ball when they conceeded that one to Ugo (who I must admit , thought had fouled mcmanus prior to scoring the goal out and it should have been a free kick to celtic rather than a goal). Still that will waken them up ...it would be bad if it didnt!
Bad for their chances in europe next year that is...

ClosetotheHarte

For the first time ever after an Old Firm defeat, yesterday's result didn't bother me that much. On the law of averages they have to beat us sometime and better to let them have their day when the result means little or nothing. Their win also gives them false hope because in the first half yesterday Celtic were streets ahead (playing great stuff at times) and could have scored four or five.
What did annoy/frustrate me was the poor finishing by Celtic - and I think yesterday was the final straw as regards Miller. I wanted to look away every time he lined up a shot because I knew there was one place the ball wasn't going to end up! I'm confident we'll get a good partner for Jan (who's form is affected by injury right now) in the summer but if we'd got him by now we would have hammered Rangers yesteray and might even have beaten Milan on Wed.
Rangers fans will now believe they are going to be serious challengers next year when in truth the gap is still huge. If we'd got the penalty (we're not getting any of these decisions at the minute!) and Ugo had been blown up for a clear foul on McManus just before he scored, victory would have been ours.
But as I've said, it's better to let them win the games that are meaningless - I've got no long-term worries about Wally or Indian signs, that's for sure! The current Rangers team is probably as bad as I've seen and they don't have the money to make it much better next year.