?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

yellowcard

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 26, 2019, 01:59:11 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 26, 2019, 01:38:16 PM
Bizarre timing and for Rodgers to leave in the middle of a season when 8 points clear with 11 games to play is simply astounding. If it was for a team capable of challenging for the English PL it might be understandable but he has clearly gone for the cash since Leicester will never be much more than a top half EPL club.

Lennon is the obvious choice to fill the gap at least temporarily.   

Really?

Absolutely, I don't think many would consider them to be among the top 10 clubs in England using any metric in terms of fan base, historical success or European status. Championship clubs like Villa, Leeds would be traditionally bigger clubs than them. 

trailer

Celtic are realistically competing with Championship and League one clubs. This is a return to the big time for Rodgers. Celtic job will always be there as is proved by the fact that they're going after Neil Lennon.

Over the Bar

Rodgers will see it as a stepping stone to a bigger job. Runaway domestic success at Celtic coupled with a top 8 finish with Leicester might get him a big job. His failure at Liverpool will still be fresh in the memory but they've won nothing for years before him or since I  suppose. 

screenexile

I know I'm taking the piss a bit but I really thought he would have held out for the Chelsea job. . . he has history there as well he would have definitely gotten the job.

This Leicester thing seems very premature especially mid season but then Celtic aren't really in much danger and realistically what more can he achieve up there and is there any real excitement with Celtic anymore? I'd say it's more to do with the challenge than anything else.

Main Street

Rafa would be an obvious choice for a club with money and ambition, even if that club has such a puny ethos like Leicester :)
Possibly Rafa's not available or not willing to down tools right now or waiting for another call.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: cornerback on February 26, 2019, 01:05:53 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 26, 2019, 12:38:43 PM
Should go for Steve Clarke straight away.

Lennon may have issues from when he left.

Same issues of non funding that Rodgers is considering leaving for.

It coukd be a ploy to shake the board into spending money.

I can't believe he would go to Leicester. Ok more wage and loads more money to spend... but the only glory there will be getting them promoted back into English premier next season...
So I can't believe it's a pure footballing decision.
More likely his bird wants back to engerland

What are you talking about?
If they are relegated... apologies for not spelling it out

( Leicester that is..)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2019, 03:09:43 PM
Rafa would be an obvious choice for a club with money and ambition, even if that club has such a puny ethos like Leicester :)
Possibly Rafa's not available or not willing to down tools right now or waiting for another call.
It can't be just for the spending money he would get...

Has to be his bird wanting back to Blighty... this whole thing doesn't make sense ... to jump ship for a tiny minnow like Leicester ( Ok they have millions more in spending money than celtic)  .. it does t add up from footballing perspective..

But if he goes then that's fine

As jock Stein once said.. no one person is bigger than Celtic football club

tonto1888

Lads, I'm absolutely gobsmacked. Didn't see this coming at all. I mean I knew he would go back to the EPL at some stage but the way he spoke about being Celtic manager and why have you....
Also, the timing just doesn't sit right with me

red hander

Who do we want if he goes? The Lennon talk seems to be about a caretaker role. I wouldn't be averse to seeing Celtic approach Kilmarnock for Steve Clarke.

Main Street

He coulda been a contender, coulda been a legend, not just in this life but for generations of Celtic fans, instead of just another epl managerial statistic.
Was he worse than Ronny in Europe?
At least Ronny had an excuse, he was a daft Norwegian (probably still is).

Targetman

Disappointed at the timing of Rodgers' decision, we have to move on and Lennon if appointed will make sure we clinch 8 in a row, as for long term I'd be happy enough with Steve Clarke but you just don't know what the decision makers will come up with!!

Dougal Maguire

I'd almost put up with having Fearon back for the evening to hear his views on BRexit. Good luck to Lennon, he started the 10 in a row, I'd like to see him complete it.
Careful now

Insane Bolt

Would like to see Henrik Larsson appointed.

BennyCake

Makes it look like Rodgers was only biding his time until a PL team came in for him. Won't sit well with Celtic fans. Had he waited till end of season, I'm sure nobody would have complained, they'd have all come to the station to wave him off.

It somewhat tarnishes his time there and his achievements (which were very good tbh).

trailer

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 26, 2019, 05:48:50 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2019, 03:09:43 PM
It can't be just for the spending money he would get...

Has to be his bird wanting back to Blighty... this whole thing doesn't make sense ... to jump ship for a tiny minnow like Leicester ( Ok they have millions more in spending money than celtic)  .. it does t add up from footballing perspective..

But if he goes then that's fine

As jock Stein once said.. no one person is bigger than Celtic football club

You do know they have won the Premier League more recently than Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs...... They're a massive club in relation to Celtic.