Significantly increased in recent years
Significantly decreased in recent years
It's about the same

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Therealdonald on October 10, 2018, 11:27:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 10, 2018, 11:03:51 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on October 10, 2018, 10:55:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 10, 2018, 10:42:50 PM
Would you go to the peelers if your son was absolutely hammered by a thug on the pitch?

Would not. And would look down on anyone that did.

So if someone assaulted your child on the street you'd do nothing?

You asked about the pitch? Is it the street or pitch? Where is it happening?

Is there a difference where someone is assaulted? What about watching a game? In the stand?

Surely assault is assault no matter where it is?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Therealdonald

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 10, 2018, 11:30:41 PM
Would you go to the peelers if your son was absolutely hammered by a thug on the pitch?

Is there a difference where someone is assaulted? What about watching a game? In the stand?

In my mind no it's not the same. There's plenty of digs thrown during the course of games down through the years, that would constitute assault. But they were and remain part and parcel of the game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Therealdonald on October 10, 2018, 11:33:34 PM

In my mind no it's not the same. There's plenty of digs thrown during the course of games down through the years, that would constitute assault. But they were and remain part and parcel of the game.

Digs in a game, that happens, you hope the ref will deal with that, but an assault (which is what I have been posting, and the thread title) is when two or more players start punching and kicking the f**k out of someone which results in damage to that person, you'd look down on someone reporting it?

I suppose if that's the norm round your way then play on. Dirty Joe punches are a part of the game!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Therealdonald

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 10, 2018, 11:39:43 PM

Digs in a game, that happens, you hope the ref will deal with that, but an assault (which is what I have been posting, and the thread title) is when two or more players start punching and kicking the f**k out of someone which results in damage to that person, you'd look down on someone reporting it?

I suppose if that's the norm round your way then play on. Dirty Joe punches are a part of the game!

But where do you draw the line? My dig could be your assault? Slippery slope. Did Paidi assault yer man from Cork? Or what about Diarmuid Marsden on Philly Jordan?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Therealdonald on October 10, 2018, 11:43:21 PM

But where do you draw the line? My dig could be your assault? Slippery slope. Did Paidi assault yer man from Cork? Or what about Diarmuid Marsden on Philly Jordan?
Poor example as Marsden didn't lay a finger on Jordan.

Milltown Row2

Boys going toe to toe happens in all sports.. someone coming in blind side and 'dirty joe'ing' a player and causing serious injury is assault.. now you can give me a thousand examples of what I've said and it's still assault from a coward.

trailer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 10, 2018, 11:48:09 PM

No he laid 10 on him.

befair

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 10, 2018, 11:48:09 PM

Jordan's dive and the resultant red card for Marsden was the start of a very unfortunate trend in GAA. Teams saw the very real benefits of getting red/yellow cards for the opposition. It has always sullied Tyrone's reputation, which is a shame because they had so many magnificent players

Gabriel_Hurl

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/gaa-club-expresses-dismay-after-one-of-their-players-was-left-with-extensive-facial-injuries-but-opponent-had-red-card-rescinded-37407964.html

QuoteA Limerick club has expressed their disappointment after a player that was sent off for hitting one of their players off the ball had his red card rescinded.

Ballysteen GAA club called for an investigation into how the red card was overturned on appeal.

A letter from the club was read out at a county board meeting this week outlining the significant injuries suffered in the incident that occurred during the Limerick SFC quarter-final between Ballysteen and Ballylanders.

The Limerick Leader has published the details of the letter.

The letter signed by Ballysteen chairman Alan Kehoe read: "I am writing to express our disappointment following an incident that took place during the senior football match between Ballysteen and Ballylanders - the match took place on Saturday September 29 when Ballysteen and Ballylanders played the quarter final of the Limerick senior football championship.

"During the game one of our players received an unprovoked blow to the face at one point in the game, in which he did not have possession of the ball. He had to immediately leave the field and could not continue. The Ballylanders player who inflicted the injury received a red card and was sent-off immediately by the referee.

"The extent of the Ballysteen players' injuries were discovered upon medical examination and included the following; cheekbone fracture, lower eye socket fracture and bone behind the eyebrow fracture. The player was sent to University Hospital later that evening for x-ray and the above facial injuries were discovered. Due to severe bruising and swelling, an operation was deferred until October 4.

"In addition to the facial reconstruction, a plate was inserted which will remain for life, and he has suffered a numbness in the side of his face and jaw and surgeons have advised that this may not recover due to nerve damage sustained in the blow.

"The player who inflicted this injury received a straight red card and automatically a one match ban must be served, however in this instance the red card was overturned on appeal.

The letter went on to allege that: "The player moved 20-30 yards and inflicted a single blow to the face, captured on match video and I am asking the County Board to investigate how such an appeal was successful."

The letter stressed: "The Ballysteen club wants to make it clear we harbour no animosity or ill towards Ballylanders GAA club or its players and wish them the best of luck for the remainder of the championship.

J70

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 11, 2018, 09:26:46 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/gaa-club-expresses-dismay-after-one-of-their-players-was-left-with-extensive-facial-injuries-but-opponent-had-red-card-rescinded-37407964.html

QuoteA Limerick club has expressed their disappointment after a player that was sent off for hitting one of their players off the ball had his red card rescinded.

Ballysteen GAA club called for an investigation into how the red card was overturned on appeal.

A letter from the club was read out at a county board meeting this week outlining the significant injuries suffered in the incident that occurred during the Limerick SFC quarter-final between Ballysteen and Ballylanders.

The letter signed by Ballysteen chairman Alan Kehoe read: "I am writing to express our disappointment following an incident that took place during the senior football match between Ballysteen and Ballylanders - the match took place on Saturday September 29 when Ballysteen and Ballylanders played the quarter final of the Limerick senior football championship.

"During the game one of our players received an unprovoked blow to the face at one point in the game, in which he did not have possession of the ball. He had to immediately leave the field and could not continue. The Ballylanders player who inflicted the injury received a red card and was sent-off immediately by the referee.

"The extent of the Ballysteen players' injuries were discovered upon medical examination and included the following; cheekbone fracture, lower eye socket fracture and bone behind the eyebrow fracture. The player was sent to University Hospital later that evening for x-ray and the above facial injuries were discovered. Due to severe bruising and swelling, an operation was deferred until October 4.

"In addition to the facial reconstruction, a plate was inserted which will remain for life, and he has suffered a numbness in the side of his face and jaw and surgeons have advised that this may not recover due to nerve damage sustained in the blow.

"The player who inflicted this injury received a straight red card and automatically a one match ban must be served, however in this instance the red card was overturned on appeal.

The letter went on to allege that: "The player moved 20-30 yards and inflicted a single blow to the face, captured on match video and I am asking the County Board to investigate how such an appeal was successful."

The letter stressed: "The Ballysteen club wants to make it clear we harbour no animosity or ill towards Ballylanders GAA club or its players and wish them the best of luck for the remainder of the championship.

What a f**king joke.

Hope the injured lad gets that video and a good solicitor and shoved them up the arses of that coward and his club.

Are the GAA going to cover his medical bills? Damages for any long term effects?

Milltown Row2

"What a f**king joke.

Hope the injured lad gets that video and a good solicitor and shoved them up the arses of that coward and his club.

Are the GAA going to cover his medical bills? Damages for any long term effects?"

According to the GAA it never happened, so I doubt that they will pay

dublin7

Quote from: J70 on October 12, 2018, 11:30:18 AM

What a f**king joke.

Are the GAA going to cover his medical bills? Damages for any long term effects?

It's not right, but is anyone that surprised.

You can almost guarantee that the reason the offender got his red card rescinded was due an administrative error in submitting/completing the report. The problem all county boards face is that when they look for every loophole or technicality to have suspensions overturned at inter county level they can't then turn around and impose zero tolerance on their own clubs.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: dublin7 on October 12, 2018, 02:36:01 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 12, 2018, 11:30:18 AM

What a f**king joke.

It's not right, but is anyone that surprised.

You can almost guarantee that the reason the offender got his red card rescinded was due an administrative error in submitting/completing the report. The problem all county boards face is that when they look for every loophole or technicality to have suspensions overturned at inter county level they can't then turn around and impose zero tolerance on their own clubs.

Well if thats the case the ref's need to look at the rule book and discuss it with a county offical before submitting and  put the proper terms in place.. and the players (and clubs) need to cop the fcuk on and take their medicine

Therealdonald

Can't believe this thread is still going. The men complaining here more than likely sit down to pish. Bad things happen playing sport. No condoning it. But to still have people proposing police involvement. Find it hard to believe that the above story, was a completely unprovoked attack with no slabbering done, or digs thrown beforehand. Now it was an awful injury, but very few people playing GAA do these acts without some sort of provocation.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Therealdonald on October 12, 2018, 03:43:12 PMFind it hard to believe that the above story, was a completely unprovoked attack with no slabbering done, or digs thrown beforehand. Now it was an awful injury, but very few people playing GAA do these acts without some sort of provocation.

Are you just excusing this despicable action because he may have done a bit of "slabbering" - which you have no idea if he did or not?