The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hedley Lamarr

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 09, 2010, 10:05:07 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 09, 2010, 12:48:32 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 09, 2010, 12:11:19 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 09, 2010, 12:05:57 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 09, 2010, 12:05:09 AM
Oh yeah, I remember that thread. You were acting a snob in it too and I wasn't so keen on continuing the discussion with you when you called me a bigot due to my views on rowing  ::)

No, the bigot comment had nothing to do with your views on rowing, just your personality in general
And there you go again, you know everything about everything and everyone, even me  :D

I'm not sure what word use to describe you - you've the Trinity education, what would a big word me for "an oul know-it-all".

Another to ignore the fact that I also went to DCU. I find this fixation with Trinity hilarious - I'm not the one who keeps mentioning it.

I'd love someone to try and explain these accusations of snobbery. I've stated my belief of the likelihood of a certain demographic to be Sinn Fein supporters -  how is that snobbish or prejudiced in any way? In order for it to be so I would have to condemn being a Sinn Fein supporter as some form of inferiority. I happily challenge you all to point out where exactly this occurred.

Then again, I did go to Trinity so am obviously immediately intellectually superior to the lot of you and so am actually capable of understanding the meaning of the word "snob"  ::) ::) ::)

Ehhh - already did, I'll not go through it all again but he's a couple of examples

- "I'm reinforcing the point that my insight is a lot greater than yours"

- "I believe I'm slightly better qualified than Pints to comment on such matters....Whether or not he or you dispute this is irrelevant."

Hopefully you will now realise that passing comment on who you assume people vote for due to their clothes isn't the only way you can be a snob. Quotes like those above and others I posted a page or two back should give plenty proof of that.

Glad to be of help.

(However I do expect that, despite what you said, you really wouldn't have loved to have had it pointed out to you; as no doubt you will blindly ignore all the proof of your snobbery, claiming it wasn't proof of snobbery at all.)

Those quotes probably better describe arrogance than snobbery.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Nally Stand

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 09, 2010, 10:25:13 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 09, 2010, 10:05:07 AM
Oh yeah, I remember that thread. You were acting a snob in it too and I wasn't so keen on continuing the discussion with you when you called me a bigot due to my views on rowing  ::)

No, the bigot comment had nothing to do with your views on rowing, just your personality in general
And there you go again, you know everything about everything and everyone, even me  :D

I'm not sure what word use to describe you - you've the Trinity education, what would a big word me for "an oul know-it-all".

Another to ignore the fact that I also went to DCU. I find this fixation with Trinity hilarious - I'm not the one who keeps mentioning it.

I'd love someone to try and explain these accusations of snobbery. I've stated my belief of the likelihood of a certain demographic to be Sinn Fein supporters -  how is that snobbish or prejudiced in any way? In order for it to be so I would have to condemn being a Sinn Fein supporter as some form of inferiority. I happily challenge you all to point out where exactly this occurred.

Then again, I did go to Trinity so am obviously immediately intellectually superior to the lot of you and so am actually capable of understanding the meaning of the word "snob"  ::) ::) ::)

Ehhh - already did, I'll not go through it all again but he's a couple of examples

- "I'm reinforcing the point that my insight is a lot greater than yours"

- "I believe I'm slightly better qualified than Pints to comment on such matters....Whether or not he or you dispute this is irrelevant."

Hopefully you will now realise that passing comment on who you assume people vote for due to their clothes isn't the only way you can be a snob. Quotes like those above and others I posted a page or two back should give plenty proof of that.

Glad to be of help.

(However I do expect that, despite what you said, you really wouldn't have loved to have had it pointed out to you; as no doubt you will blindly ignore all the proof of your snobbery, claiming it wasn't proof of snobbery at all.)

Those quotes probably better describe arrogance than snobbery.

I suppose an argument could be made for both alright!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

gallsman

That's it, someone points out where you're wrong and you try to make it appear as if they were supporting you.

TAM - When posted like so, with selctive quoting, yes it can appear arrogant. However, when all posts are read in context it is quite clear that I stated my opinion, and then stated the reasons I believe entitle me to have that opinion. Is that arrogant?

What I would consider far more arrogant is a bunch of clowns attempting to shout me down and complaining about this and that, offerinf no evidence to support their claims and dismissing my opinion because, you know, I went to Trinity.

Nally Stand

Quote from: gallsman on November 09, 2010, 10:39:36 AM
That's it, someone points out where you're wrong and you try to make it appear as if they were supporting you.

TAM - When posted like so, with selctive quoting, yes it can appear arrogant. However, when all posts are read in context it is quite clear that I stated my opinion, and then stated the reasons I believe entitle me to have that opinion. Is that arrogant?

What I would consider far more arrogant is a bunch of clowns attempting to shout me down and complaining about this and that, offerinf no evidence to support their claims and dismissing my opinion because, you know, I went to Trinity.

What EVIDENCE have you presented? All I have heard from you is that you have some friends who study law, therefor you believe that most law students who wear GAA jerseys support SF.

That is NOT "evidence". Why criticise people for not having any evidence with which to counter your opinion, when that opinion is one that you yourself cannot back up with any single solitary shred of evidence?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

gallsman

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 09, 2010, 10:47:31 AM

What EVIDENCE have you presented? All I have heard from you is that you have some friends who study law, therefor you believe that most law students who wear GAA jerseys support SF.

That is NOT "evidence". Why criticise people for not having any evidence with which to counter your opinion, when that opinion is one that you yourself cannot back up with any single solitary shred of evidence?

It's evidence of my insight you clown, which is what I've been talking about from the beginning. From the outset I stated my belief that this was the case. No matter what way you or anyone else tries to spin it, I did not come out and say I don't give a shit about anyone else's opinion on the matter becaus mine had to be right - what I stated was that I didn't give a shit about anyone's opinion of my qualification to state that belief seeing as nobody had attempted to offer any valid reason for why my insights might be invalid.

First of all, I come from the generation under discussion - Pints does not. I'd wager that you do as well, but are unwilling to admit it. I pray to God you're no older than me or I'll abandon my faith in humanity.

Secondly, I have MANY friends who study both law and medicine and have done over the last five or six years. These people come from all corners of this island, but are primarily from the six counties.

Nally Stand

Quote from: gallsman on November 09, 2010, 11:16:53 AM

It's evidence of my insight you clown, which is what I've been talking about from the beginning. From the outset I stated my belief that this was the case. No matter what way you or anyone else tries to spin it, I did not come out and say I don't give a shit about anyone else's opinion on the matter becaus mine had to be right - what I stated was that I didn't give a shit about anyone's opinion of my qualification to state that belief seeing as nobody had attempted to offer any valid reason for why my insights might be invalid.

First of all, I come from the generation under discussion - Pints does not. I'd wager that you do as well, but are unwilling to admit it. I pray to God you're no older than me or I'll abandon my faith in humanity.

Secondly, I have MANY friends who study both law and medicine and have done over the last five or six years. These people come from all corners of this island, but are primarily from the six counties.

I have insight of students in law who wear GAA jerseys (and in medicine since you bring it up) who unfortunately wouldn't vote SF in a fit. So we both have "evidence" which contradicts each other. Well well well where do we go from here? Both of us have rock solid evidence which point to different conclusions  :o !!

I assume you didn't do law? I'm guessing you didn't simply because if you did, you would have a firmer grasp of the idea of evidence.

gallsman

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 09, 2010, 11:41:50 AM
I have insight of students in law who wear GAA jerseys (and in medicine since you bring it up) who unfortunately wouldn't vote SF in a fit. So we both have "evidence" which contradicts each other. Well well well where do we go from here? Both of us have rock solid evidence which point to different conclusions  :o !!

I assume you didn't do law? I'm guessing you didn't simply because if you did, you would have a firmer grasp of the idea of evidence.

Congratulations! You've finally grasped the point. Thank you for finally explaining your insight, something you'dfailed to do so far. Your opinion is perfectly valid (becuase you've offered something to back it up) - that doesn't make mine invalid though, does it??

Nally Stand

I also am being sarcastic when I refer to my friends' views as "evidence". It is not "evidence". It is still a plain old generalisation with no scientific or credible basis on which to prove it's accuracy. Like your generalisation.

gallsman

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 09, 2010, 01:26:04 PM
I also am being sarcastic when I refer to my friends' views as "evidence". It is not "evidence". It is still a plain old generalisation with no scientific or credible basis on which to prove it's accuracy. Like your generalisation.

Bullshit, you're on the run again.

Poor choice of words, perhaps - you probably think of it as a compliment.

Nally Stand

Banana Man

QuoteQuote from: Nally Stand on Today at 01:26:04 PM

So when Nally tells you what he is thinking (that he was being sarcastic) you refuse to believe and tell him what you perceive his thoughts to be, I didn't realise Trinity done a course on reading other people's thoughts or was that what you done in DCU?? Perhaps you are Dereck Acorah  :D

That's before I even consider your pathetic attempt at political satire

gallsman

Quote from: Banana Man on November 09, 2010, 02:30:45 PM
QuoteQuote from: Nally Stand on Today at 01:26:04 PM

So when Nally tells you what he is thinking (that he was being sarcastic) you refuse to believe and tell him what you perceive his thoughts to be, I didn't realise Trinity done a course on reading other people's thoughts or was that what you done in DCU?? Perhaps you are Dereck Acorah  :D

That's before I even consider your pathetic attempt at political satire

Satire? Where? I was being completely serious.

Arthur_Friend

Prejudice does not necessarily have to be negative, it is merely a preconceived judgement or opinion.

Maguire01

Well it is evidence. It's probably anecdotal evidence and you can argue over the quality / reliability of it, but it is evidence.