Big feckin' spiders!!

Started by BennyCake, October 01, 2014, 07:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

I've found spiders in the house this last couple of months, that are far bigger than what I've seen before. I'd say the leg span is a good 5-6 inches. Now I don't mind the wee normal spiders we get here, but I don't like the look of these bollixes.

Apparently they're harmless, but that's not the point.

Has anyone else noticed them, and why the hell are they so feckin' big?!

Puckoon

5-6 inches is a serious size. Are you sure you know what an inch is or have you been overestimating all these years?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Puckoon on October 01, 2014, 08:18:35 PM
5-6 inches is a serious size. Are you sure you know what an inch is or have you been overestimating all these years?
He's been hoodwinking his missus for years. "Yep it's definitely 8 inches"  ;D

BennyCake

Oh wait... That should be 4 inches.

BennyCake

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 01, 2014, 08:21:34 PM
He's been hoodwinking his missus for years. "Yep it's definitely 8 inches"  ;D

I hope she's not reading this  ;D

Puckoon

I'd be wondering what a 6 inch spider would be eating that could be living in my house also!

armaghniac

A dose of big spiders arrived from the Canary Islands, apparently.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on October 01, 2014, 08:52:16 PM
A dose of big spiders arrived from the Canary Islands, apparently.

Between all the stags and now this, Michael O'Leary has a lot to answer for.
MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

Heard someone on about "False Widow" spiders earlier, very big and mildly poisonous apparently

Gold

Page 3 of today's Irish news had a story on them. Reckon they are living longer so are growing more.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

BennyCake

Quote from: Gold on October 01, 2014, 11:56:20 PM
Page 3 of today's Irish news had a story on them. Reckon they are living longer so are growing more.

Seen that. These new boyos aren't the regular spiders we get. No way. They are definitely a different breed.

JUst retired

Hereiam

What do you expect. We have /food, fruit containers coming in from all parts of the world so the fact that a few insects hitch a ride should be no surprise

armaghniac

False widow spider: Woman has finger amputated after bite
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29419418
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

outinfront

Read there that house spiders are very common at this time of year and are at their biggest now. Males have longer legs and females bigger bodies. Apparently the males can be quite "aggressive" and although harmless can bite with little provocation even. Also there should be big whopping garden spiders in huge webs in bushes etc at the minute. Have a distinctive white/green cross on their bodies and usually hangout in the middle of their webs. Pretty cool though creepy.  #nerd