Possible Rule changes

Started by Rossfan, October 13, 2015, 04:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 20, 2015, 03:18:49 PM
Quote from: Red eye on November 20, 2015, 03:08:47 PM
How about referees applying the rules there at the minute? Only one tackler allowed at a time? The swarm tackle - applied by most but perfected by Tyrone - in a lot of cases is a foul as the player in possession is physically tackled by more than one person at a time. It takes a lot of discipline by the tackling team to ensure only one tackle at a time goes in.

How many times do you see a referee blowing up and you just haven't a clue which way the free is to go - to the player who was executed the high catch and upon landing is swarmed and wins a free due to this rule - or as the case more often is - he is blown up for over carrying.

High fielding is a magnificent skill in our game but is being lost to the swarm!!

Does it actually say in the rule book that this is a foul?

I'm unaware of it if it does.

Keyser soze

Contact with another player is only permitted shoulder to shoulder. All other physical contact resulting in a foul. Maybe some whizzkid can cut and paste the relevant rule. Again.

Esmarelda

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 20, 2015, 03:25:27 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 20, 2015, 03:18:49 PM
Quote from: Red eye on November 20, 2015, 03:08:47 PM
How about referees applying the rules there at the minute? Only one tackler allowed at a time? The swarm tackle - applied by most but perfected by Tyrone - in a lot of cases is a foul as the player in possession is physically tackled by more than one person at a time. It takes a lot of discipline by the tackling team to ensure only one tackle at a time goes in.

How many times do you see a referee blowing up and you just haven't a clue which way the free is to go - to the player who was executed the high catch and upon landing is swarmed and wins a free due to this rule - or as the case more often is - he is blown up for over carrying.

High fielding is a magnificent skill in our game but is being lost to the swarm!!

Does it actually say in the rule book that this is a foul?

I'm unaware of it if it does.
You hear a lot of lads shouting it from the stands but I'd be amazed if this is a rule. I'm not sure if the word "physically" has any relevance in that sentence.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Keyser soze on November 20, 2015, 03:44:13 PM
Contact with another player is only permitted shoulder to shoulder. All other physical contact resulting in a foul. Maybe some whizzkid can cut and paste the relevant rule. Again.

Yeah, I'm aware the only legal tackle is either on the ball itself, or shoulder to shoulder. What I'm asking about is this notion that only 1 player can tackle at a time.

blewuporstuffed

I'm pretty sure any number of tacklers are permitted as long as they are each tackling within the rules.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Keyser soze

No mention of that in the rules at all afaik. But it's hard for 2 lads to shoulder one person at the same time. Amusingly this happened to me one time and the 2 lads bounced of me like a rubber ball leaving me relatively unscathed, forces of equal and opposite mass and all that lol

AZOffaly

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 20, 2015, 03:51:03 PM
I'm pretty sure any number of tacklers are permitted as long as they are each tackling within the rules.

So am I. I suppose it's more likely that an obvious foul will be committed if a number of people are all pulling out of a ball carrier, but I don't think there's anything that says you can only tackle 1 on 1.

westbound

If I remember correctly, I think there was a clarification issued from HQ last year (?????) which confirmed that two(or more) players tackling another is not automatically a foul!

westbound

Actually, after a quick google search, it turns out it was issued as part of the black card guidelines!

https://www.gaa.ie/about-the-gaa/rules-and-regulations/

it's down near the bottom of the page under the heading 'the tackle'

"More than one player can tackle the player in possession"

Q.E.D.  :)