Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 04:33:25 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 20, 2015, 04:20:03 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 02:11:30 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 20, 2015, 01:46:54 PM
Chalk and Cheese
Apples and Oranges

does anybody believe Roscommon would have set up as naively v Mayo as Sligo did?
A Roscommon team with the spine of their team fit would give Mayo a good game.

I do. And I was in Mark park. Sligo much better than Ros and Sligo played the same yesterday. They actually managed a second goal against us. Ye lost since against Fermanagh who are no better than Sligo. If ye had doubled up on O Se yed have been cut open by the runners anyway. As I said already ye dodged a right shoeing. Sligo took one for ye.
I'm not from Roscommon

Apologies. Silly of me. A Roscommon man would know better than the bit in bold above.
In fairness with most of the same Mayo players the lined out yesterday were given a game by Roscommon last year. Mayo were ruthless yesterday however any side that concedes 6-25 need to have hard look at themselves.

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 20, 2015, 05:03:10 PM
Chalk and Cheese
Apples and Oranges

does anybody believe Roscommon would have set up as naively v Mayo as Sligo did?

I do. And I was in Mark park. Sligo much better than Ros and Sligo played the same yesterday. They actually managed a second goal against us. Ye lost since against Fermanagh who are no better than Sligo. If ye had doubled up on O Se yed have been cut open by the runners anyway. As I said already ye dodged a right shoeing. Sligo took one for ye.
I'm not from Roscommon

Apologies. Silly of me. A Roscommon man would know better than the bit in bold above.
In fairness with most of the same Mayo players the lined out yesterday were given a game by Roscommon last year. Mayo were ruthless yesterday however any side that concedes 6-25 need to have hard look at themselves.

Different scenario yesterday. Horan's teams - apart from one year - were economical rather than punishing in Connacht.
As I said last week Holmes in particular could not afford not to win this Connacht and if were to lose to Sligo complacency would not be a factor. The new management had to put down a marker and convince the county they were the right choice. I think they may well have done that. A huge performance for the management team. I think Ros would have got a bit of a doing as well in Castlebar. If anything Mayo would have gone harder on Ros if we had them on the run. A bit like we did in 99 with a few more goals ;D

Mac2

Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 20, 2015, 04:30:52 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on July 20, 2015, 03:33:36 PM
Quote from: Rudi on July 20, 2015, 03:18:19 PM
Mac2, over the years Mayo have hammered Ros (far too many times to mention), Galway, Donegal and now Sligo without any level of mercy. Sligo were beaten after 5 mins yesterday, could Mayo not have went easy on them in the second half. What was to be gained by hammering them into the ground? Mayo in the past have taken some severe hammerings from Cork and Kerry on the bigger days in Croke Park, I think its bad form to kick the living daylights out of a team in that merciless manner. Donegal have won an All Ireland in recent times, yet they never felt the need to trounce the opposition, they could have murdered Armagh this year, they choose not to. In fact they probably could have murdered Mayo in that All Ireland they won. It seems a bit mental hammering teams year in year out and then coming up short when it matters.
Can't agree with this at all it's far more condescending to the opposition to start taking it easy on them. You show more respect for the opposition by playing ball all the way through. If anything Mayo have been accused in the past of not being ruthless enough when we had teams on the rack. If a team takes us apart in the future I certainly won't be blaming them for going to town on us, the fault will lie with ourselves. We've been goaded all year that we were going to get done in Connacht, now we're at fault for winning by too much.
Yeah but when you're 4-17 to 1-8 up you'd want to be a right p***k to keep going for goals, it was long over as a contest before then.
Ye're feeling sore after a tanking but don't go calling us P***ks when teams Kerry or Dublin would've done the exact same thing. I didn't see any showboating or over-celebrating or jeering yesterday. If the ire is to be directed anywhere it should be at Carew for making it so easy for us.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 05:13:28 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 20, 2015, 05:03:10 PM
Chalk and Cheese
Apples and Oranges

I'm not from Roscommon

Different scenario yesterday. Horan's teams - apart from one year - were economical rather than punishing in Connacht.
As I said last week Holmes in particular could not afford not to win this Connacht and if were to lose to Sligo complacency would not be a factor. The new management had to put down a marker and convince the county they were the right choice. I think they may well have done that. A huge performance for the management team. I think Ros would have got a bit of a doing as well in Castlebar. If anything Mayo would have gone harder on Ros if we had them on the run. A bit like we did in 99 with a few more goals ;D
Having watched Mayo against Galway in June I didn't see a side looking to lay down a marker if anything it took a lucky goal to set Mayo on their way. The scenario yesterday was how poorly Sligo were set up they gave up the fight early only some of their forwards gave the required effort.

moysider

Sligo were set up same for Ros and it was good enough that evening. Sligo clearly set out to win the game not to keep the score down like Westmeath did. When they went down early they had to chase with a first half wind. Then they were wide open. It snowballed but Mayo were clinical enough to fillet them. Not sure we d have been able to do that last year.

True I wasn t too convinced by the Galway game but the sloppiness from that game was largely absent yesterday. We were clearly at a different pitch yesterday. Compare Parson's non-tackle on Sice to the superb defensive grafting he got through yesterday e.g. It was like of him, Seamie and others who got stuck in around the middle with the forwards pressing up remorselessly.

Also it was only repeated desperate fouling of Aidan by Finian Hanley that prevented goals in the Galway game too.

Syferus

And ye same lads have the neck to complain about 'inflecting' Mayo threads with talk of Roscommon ;D

Dinny Breen

QuoteYe're feeling sore after a tanking but don't go calling us P***ks when teams Kerry or Dublin would've done the exact same thing.

It is a very non-Corinthian thing to do. Certain lack of class about running up big scores against inferior teams especially by going for goals when the game is completely done. You can justify it by saying it's what Dublin or Kerry would have done but actually I find Kerry when a game is won are quite happy to tap over points, when was the last time Kerry put six goals past an opponent? You can also justify it by ruthlessness/attitude etc but putting running big scores won't help win the games that matter.
#newbridgeornowhere

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2015, 05:51:09 PM
And ye same lads have the neck to complain about 'inflecting' Mayo threads with talk of Roscommon ;D

The only reason this thread was started was because rossfan though it such a shame that a team that beat Roscommon were lorried by 26 points by Mayo. His pride can t accept that and he is looking for a scapegoat in the manager. I m only pointing out how lucky he is that Sligo did beat Ros and spared him worse humiliation ;) So it is our business ;D
Besides anything Roscommon does should be closely observed for its entertainment value.

moysider

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2015, 06:01:22 PM
QuoteYe're feeling sore after a tanking but don't go calling us P***ks when teams Kerry or Dublin would've done the exact same thing.

It is a very non-Corinthian thing to do. Certain lack of class about running up big scores against inferior teams especially by going for goals when the game is completely done. You can justify it by saying it's what Dublin or Kerry would have done but actually I find Kerry when a game is won are quite happy to tap over points, when was the last time Kerry put six goals past an opponent? You can also justify it by ruthlessness/attitude etc but putting running big scores won't help win the games that matter.

I actually thought we took the foot off the gas. Could easily have worked a few more if we wanted.

Blowitupref

Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 05:49:24 PM

Sligo were set up same for Ros and it was good enough that evening. Sligo clearly set out to win the game not to keep the score down like Westmeath did. When they went down early they had to chase with a first half wind. Then they were wide open. It snowballed but Mayo were clinical enough to fillet them. Not sure we d have been able to do that last year.

True I wasn t too convinced by the Galway game but the sloppiness from that game was largely absent yesterday. We were clearly at a different pitch yesterday. Compare Parson's non-tackle on Sice to the superb defensive grafting he got through yesterday e.g. It was like of him, Seamie and others who got stuck in around the middle with the forwards pressing up remorselessly.

Also it was only repeated desperate fouling of Aidan by Finian Hanley that prevented goals in the Galway game too.

You are falling into the trap of judging Mayo too much on yesterdays mis match the game against Galway is a better judge for the more difficult games ahead. Sligo got off to a good start against Roscommon led for the majority game it is much easier sticking to a game plan or system in that scenario than yesterday when the contest was over after 8 minutes.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rodney trotter

Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 03:41:22 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 20, 2015, 03:32:46 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 03:29:39 PM
Quote from: Rudi on July 20, 2015, 03:18:19 PM
Mac2, over the years Mayo have hammered Ros (far too many times to mention), Galway, Donegal and now Sligo without any level of mercy. Sligo were beaten after 5 mins yesterday, could Mayo not have went easy on them in the second half. What was to be gained by hammering them into the ground? Mayo in the past have taken some severe hammerings from Cork and Kerry on the bigger days in Croke Park, I think its bad form to kick the living daylights out of a team in that merciless manner. Donegal have won an All Ireland in recent times, yet they never felt the need to trounce the opposition, they could have murdered Armagh this year, they choose not to. In fact they probably could have murdered Mayo in that All Ireland they won. It seems a bit mental hammering teams year in year out and then coming up short when it matters.

Mayo have let teams back into games in the past by not pressing home the advantage. Examples being Sligo and Dublin in 2012 and Dublin 2013.
On of the most pleasing aspects of yesterday was how we didn t get sloppy and complacent at any stage. Not as many silly passes and turnovers as usual.
Factor in lads playing for places as well. A welcome ruthlessness. Hopefully it will continue.

Did ye not concede 2-11? That would win a lot of games.

Yes. Sligo managed to beat Ros with the same total.

So we re obviously still not ruthless enough. Ideally we should have scored 10 - 40 and kept them scoreless.

A ruthless team would be pissed off about conceding 2 goals as well. Sligo weren't at the races yesterday and still managed 2-11.

Mac2

I presume the Dubs lack class so after putting 5-18 past ye.
I never saw Kerry let up, they were beating us out the gate in 2006 and Brosnan showed no mercy in booting in a late goal  if he'd fisted it over the bar it wouldn't have made us feel any better. We win 5 in a row and we're called pr**ks and lack class, jeez you couldn't make it up.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Mac2 on July 20, 2015, 06:48:54 PM

I presume the Dubs lack class so after putting 5-18 past ye.
I never saw Kerry let up, they were beating us out the gate in 2006 and Brosnan showed no mercy in booting in a late goal  if he'd fisted it over the bar it wouldn't have made us feel any better. We win 5 in a row and we're called pr**ks and lack class, jeez you couldn't make it up.

Have to say I did not enjoy seeing Sligo getting so embarrassed. The thing is there are a few players on the team who are fighting for places. And want to put on a show to earn their place. That's what kept things busy right up to the end. Plus this is Mayos only competitive game in 8 weeks!

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2015, 01:54:43 PM
You're going to look a bit of a tool if Evans stays Rossfan..
A history lesson for you childeen.
Back in 2004 when you were sucking your thumb and filling nappies I pleaded with a few members of the then Co Board Executive to thank TommyTom for his efforts and get him out of the place as he and the panel had gone as far as they could. They ignored me and we saw who the tools were the following March.

Summer 2007 (as Syfín prepares for Junior Infants) after Maughtan spent countless €thousands on a Portuguese training camp after which Sligo wiped the floor with us in the 2nd half and a Kildare team at rock bottom bet us handily I again pleaded with a  couple of the Executive to thank Tanman for his efforts and send him on his way before there wasn't a € left in the County and what little football we had left was wiped out.
Again I was ignored and again we saw who the tools were the following March.

Year 3 of JE and we have little or no discernable gameplans, no defence or strategy or system to try and cope with the fact that we have few proper defenders, Championship defeats to Sligo and Fermanagh,  , daft team selections and substitutions, now blaming Gary Wynne over things even though Gary only came in to a few sessions, a few other issues I'm not putting here for those pesky Rhubarbs to start jibing.
We stuttered through a lot of the League and only for Paddy O'Rourke we'd have finished mid table which would have kept feet on the ground and we'd prepare for the Sligo game instead of blathering about winning All Irelands in a few years.
As for " Ahhh but we're in Division 1" - if you lose to BOTH Fermanagh and Sligo you have no business in Division 1.

Anyway I feel that JE is not the man to take us any further, a new voice and tactics and preparation needed if we're to progress.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on July 20, 2015, 08:04:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2015, 01:54:43 PM
You're going to look a bit of a tool if Evans stays Rossfan..
A history lesson for you childeen.
Back in 2004 when you were sucking your thumb and filling nappies I pleaded with a few members of the then Co Board Executive to thank TommyTom for his efforts and get him out of the place as he and the panel had gone as far as they could. They ignored me and we saw who the tools were the following March.

Summer 2007 (as Syfín prepares for Junior Infants) after Maughtan spent countless €thousands on a Portuguese training camp after which Sligo wiped the floor with us in the 2nd half and a Kildare team at rock bottom bet us handily I again pleaded with a  couple of the Executive to thank Tanman for his efforts and send him on his way before there wasn't a € left in the County and what little football we had left was wiped out.
Again I was ignored and again we saw who the tools were the following March.

Year 3 of JE and we have little or no discernable gameplans, no defence or strategy or system to try and cope with the fact that we have few proper defenders, Championship defeats to Sligo and Fermanagh,  , daft team selections and substitutions, now blaming Gary Wynne over things even though Gary only came in to a few sessions, a few other issues I'm not putting here for those pesky Rhubarbs to start jibing.
We stuttered through a lot of the League and only for Paddy O'Rourke we'd have finished mid table which would have kept feet on the ground and we'd prepare for the Sligo game instead of blathering about winning All Irelands in a few years.
As for " Ahhh but we're in Division 1" - if you lose to BOTH Fermanagh and Sligo you have no business in Division 1.

Anyway I feel that JE is not the man to take us any further, a new voice and tactics and preparation needed if we're to progress.

John Evan has a tendency to (as my midland in-laws would say) open his mouth too wide.  I don't think he's the man for to bring Roscommon on to another level. But in fairness he has done a decent job so far to get ye to the top table. I said it earlier in the year when Roscommon were playing out of their skins in the FBD, Div 2 and the under 21's were busy also, that ye had peaked. This has taken it's tole with injuries, players losing form and loss of focus for the Championship. To do well in the competitions named ye had to. There is no shame in this, all your eggs were put in basket for the earlier part of the season. The FBD gave confidence to doing well in Div 2 and the under 21's well they do what under 21's every year try to do...go as far in that Championship as they can. Evans deserves a year, he got ye to Div 1. Ye have a tough 7 games ahead! But hey, they'll make you or break you. And maybe even break and later on make you.