Roscommon's next Manager

Started by Rossfan, July 20, 2015, 10:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac2

Quote from: Rudi on July 20, 2015, 01:53:35 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on July 20, 2015, 01:44:32 PM
Quote from: Rudi on July 20, 2015, 01:13:40 PM
Evans is a grand lad, nothing like Maughtan or Carr. However he has failed this team in big championship games. I would however not be devastated if he he stayed on another year, as I believe we have nothing to replace him with. Us Rossies should be somewhat happy to have avoided an awful kicking by them Mayo hoors. Nothing worse than them shower thrashing us, they lack mercy, no class at all.
Explain what you mean by that?

What point( s) needs clarification?

moysider

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 20, 2015, 01:46:54 PM
Chalk and Cheese
Apples and Oranges

does anybody believe Roscommon would have set up as naively v Mayo as Sligo did?
A Roscommon team with the spine of their team fit would give Mayo a good game.

I do. And I was in Mark park. Sligo much better than Ros and Sligo played the same yesterday. They actually managed a second goal against us. Ye lost since against Fermanagh who are no better than Sligo. If ye had doubled up on O Se yed have been cut open by the runners anyway. As I said already ye dodged a right shoeing. Sligo took one for ye.

macdanger2

I think Evans deserves another year, he's exceeded expectations by getting ye up to D1 and while they were poor in the championship, I think ye're set up better than say Kildare / Westmeath who were both relegated but are still in the championship

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 02:11:30 PM
Chalk and Cheese
Apples and Oranges

does anybody believe Roscommon would have set up as naively v Mayo as Sligo did?

I do. And I was in Mark park. Sligo much better than Ros and Sligo played the same yesterday. They actually managed a second goal against us. Ye lost since against Fermanagh who are no better than Sligo. If ye had doubled up on O Se yed have been cut open by the runners anyway. As I said already ye dodged a right shoeing. Sligo took one for ye.

Fermanagh are a better side than Sligo and will be playing in D2 next year.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2015, 02:47:00 PM
Chalk and Cheese
Apples and Oranges

There's damn all in it. Sligo finished the league very well. Did they not beat Armagh?

The thing Sligo were set up same v Ros as Mayo. So how come Ros did not do a number on them with their dodgy kick-out strategy obvious from the off. How come Senan didn t score 3 gaols against them seeing them so naïve?  Why didn t Ros score 6-25 against the same Sligo with their superior forwards than ours and all?
In fairness there were Sligo fans on here thinking they had better forwards than us  too.

Rudi

Mac2, over the years Mayo have hammered Ros (far too many times to mention), Galway, Donegal and now Sligo without any level of mercy. Sligo were beaten after 5 mins yesterday, could Mayo not have went easy on them in the second half. What was to be gained by hammering them into the ground? Mayo in the past have taken some severe hammerings from Cork and Kerry on the bigger days in Croke Park, I think its bad form to kick the living daylights out of a team in that merciless manner. Donegal have won an All Ireland in recent times, yet they never felt the need to trounce the opposition, they could have murdered Armagh this year, they choose not to. In fact they probably could have murdered Mayo in that All Ireland they won. It seems a bit mental hammering teams year in year out and then coming up short when it matters.

moysider

Quote from: Rudi on July 20, 2015, 03:18:19 PM
Mac2, over the years Mayo have hammered Ros (far too many times to mention), Galway, Donegal and now Sligo without any level of mercy. Sligo were beaten after 5 mins yesterday, could Mayo not have went easy on them in the second half. What was to be gained by hammering them into the ground? Mayo in the past have taken some severe hammerings from Cork and Kerry on the bigger days in Croke Park, I think its bad form to kick the living daylights out of a team in that merciless manner. Donegal have won an All Ireland in recent times, yet they never felt the need to trounce the opposition, they could have murdered Armagh this year, they choose not to. In fact they probably could have murdered Mayo in that All Ireland they won. It seems a bit mental hammering teams year in year out and then coming up short when it matters.

Mayo have let teams back into games in the past by not pressing home the advantage. Examples being Sligo and Dublin in 2012 and Dublin 2013.
On of the most pleasing aspects of yesterday was how we didn t get sloppy and complacent at any stage. Not as many silly passes and turnovers as usual.
Factor in lads playing for places as well. A welcome ruthlessness. Hopefully it will continue.

rodney trotter

Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 03:29:39 PM

Mayo have let teams back into games in the past by not pressing home the advantage. Examples being Sligo and Dublin in 2012 and Dublin 2013.
On of the most pleasing aspects of yesterday was how we didn t get sloppy and complacent at any stage. Not as many silly passes and turnovers as usual.
Factor in lads playing for places as well. A welcome ruthlessness. Hopefully it will continue.

Did ye not concede 2-11? That would win a lot of games.

Mac2

Can't agree with this at all it's far more condescending to the opposition to start taking it easy on them. You show more respect for the opposition by playing ball all the way through. If anything Mayo have been accused in the past of not being ruthless enough when we had teams on the rack. If a team takes us apart in the future I certainly won't be blaming them for going to town on us, the fault will lie with ourselves. We've been goaded all year that we were going to get done in Connacht, now we're at fault for winning by too much.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 03:04:12 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2015, 02:47:00 PM
Chalk and Cheese
Apples and Oranges

There's damn all in it. Sligo finished the league very well. Did they not beat Armagh?

The thing Sligo were set up same v Ros as Mayo. So how come Ros did not do a number on them with their dodgy kick-out strategy obvious from the off. How come Senan didn t score 3 gaols against them seeing them so naïve?  Why didn t Ros score 6-25 against the same Sligo with their superior forwards than ours and all?
In fairness there were Sligo fans on here thinking they had better forwards than us  too.

Armagh played their b team that day, already promoted and nothing to play for. I'd say even Sligo supporters would admit that. Sligo very limited by a really poor hand in the middle. Fermanagh have a decent midfield and McGrath has done a good job moulding a solid outfit in Fermanagh over the last two seasons.

The signs for McDonnell being skinned alive by AOS were there in the semi, on one leg Kilbride won just about everything sent into him. What happened yesterday is ye could actually use all the ball you were getting in the middle.

Anyways, this thread is about 'Roscommon's next manager'. If Evans is gone I'd say the job will be McStay's if he actually wants it.

moysider

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 20, 2015, 03:32:46 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2015, 03:29:39 PM

Did ye not concede 2-11? That would win a lot of games.

Yes. Sligo managed to beat Ros with the same total.

So we re obviously still not ruthless enough. Ideally we should have scored 10 - 40 and kept them scoreless.

Farrandeelin

Fair play moy. Yes we conceded 2-11 so we needed to score all we could. It mightn't be worth a shite next time out,  but I was glad we showed no mercy yesterday. Our club got a coach down from Tyrone . His mantra, why not beat the opposition by 11 when you're 10 up. I'm sure he would bs impressed.

What did ye want Mayo to do? Kick 10 wides in the second half or what? By the way I felt really sorry for the Sligo fans, players and mgmt yesterday. That said I was delighted Mayo played so well from the hb line forward.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

manfromdelmonte

Chalk and Cheese
Apples and Oranges

I'm not from Roscommon

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Mac2 on July 20, 2015, 03:33:36 PM
Can't agree with this at all it's far more condescending to the opposition to start taking it easy on them. You show more respect for the opposition by playing ball all the way through. If anything Mayo have been accused in the past of not being ruthless enough when we had teams on the rack. If a team takes us apart in the future I certainly won't be blaming them for going to town on us, the fault will lie with ourselves. We've been goaded all year that we were going to get done in Connacht, now we're at fault for winning by too much.
Yeah but when you're 4-17 to 1-8 up you'd want to be a right p***k to keep going for goals, it was long over as a contest before then.

moysider

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 20, 2015, 04:20:03 PM
Chalk and Cheese
Apples and Oranges

I'm not from Roscommon

Apologies. Silly of me. A Roscommon man would know better than the bit in bold above.