Mayo Millionaire backer withholds Money

Started by TheGreatest, September 26, 2019, 08:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

Very interesting. "Governance issues"

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/millionaire-withholds-250000-from-mayo-county-board-38536084.html

I know posters will come back with " But Dublin this and Dublin that" so work away.

250K donation.
60K training trips
370,000 USD New York Gala Dinners.

Plus plenty plenty more.

How can the likes of Sligo and Leitrim compete with is huge advantage to Mayo.

mup

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 26, 2019, 08:59:59 AM

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/millionaire-withholds-250000-from-mayo-county-board-38536084.html

I know posters will come back with " But Dublin this and Dublin that" so work away.

250K donation.
60K training trips

Plus plenty plenty more.

Any chance Dublin's millionaire backers (aka The GAA) will withhold monies?

dublin7

Quote from: mup on September 26, 2019, 09:43:57 AM

250K donation.
60K training trips

Plus plenty plenty more.

No. The Dublin county board is well run and well organised and there are no issues around money, unlike the Mayo co board it seems.

Charging €5k for All Ireland tickes with a face value of €950. Classy move. Imagine ripping off your own donors like that. Is it any wonder they are so furious.

Baile Brigín 2

250K donation.
60K training trips

Plus plenty plenty more.

Stunningly missed the point.

rosnarun

if the monies were raised  in the name of mayo Gaa .  then he should hand it over with out delay . these 3rds party organizations are unelected and unaccountable cannot  the policies of the GAA in a county just because they are now in possession of monies raised for Mayo gaa.
if he is making personal donations. that is different he can do as he like and out as many conditions on it as he likes .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

Quote from: dublin7 on September 26, 2019, 09:55:59 AM

250K donation.
60K training trips

Plus plenty plenty more.

No. The Dublin county board is well run and well organised and there are no issues around money, unlike the Mayo co board it seems.

Charging €5k for All Ireland tickes with a face value of €950. Classy move. Imagine ripping off your own donors like that. Is it any wonder they are so furious.

You really have no idea how a fundraising auction works do you? I suppose Dublin don't need to go out and do this kind of fundraising. They just tap up to a few multinationals like AIG. Sadly not every county has those available.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: rosnarun on September 26, 2019, 09:59:47 AM
if the monies were raised  in the name of mayo Gaa .  then he should hand it over with out delay . these 3rds party organizations are unelected and unaccountable cannot  the policies of the GAA in a county just because they are now in possession of monies raised for Mayo gaa.
if he is making personal donations. that is different he can do as he like and out as many conditions on it as he likes .

They weren't.

He offered x for a training facility. A couple of years later no progress, but as I understand it they asked for the money anyway, he said no.

Hopefully this helps the message that some county boards couldn't run a bath and all the funding in the world wont change that

Aaron Boone

shark

Quote from: Tubberman on September 26, 2019, 10:00:54 AM

250K donation.
60K training trips

Plus plenty plenty more.

You really have no idea how a fundraising auction works do you? I suppose Dublin don't need to go out and do this kind of fundraising. They just tap up to a few multinationals like AIG. Sadly not every county has those available.

Sadly not every county has access to this type of foreign cash. Dublin's level of funding is a real problem. So is Mayo's, Kerry's and a few others. There are 32 counties.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: shark on September 26, 2019, 10:45:22 AM

250K donation.
60K training trips

Plus plenty plenty more.

Sadly not every county has access to this type of foreign cash. Dublin's level of funding is a real problem. So is Mayo's, Kerry's and a few others. There are 32 counties.

Im not sure I buy this. If Mayo can find a group of wealthy backers I really dont see why others cant.

Again, I get the feeling its easier to whinge thaen do

Maroon Manc

Who else is part of this Mayo foundation and have they any background in the Gaa?

rosnarun

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 26, 2019, 10:20:32 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on September 26, 2019, 09:59:47 AM

They weren't.

He offered x for a training facility. A couple of years later no progress, but as I understand it they asked for the money anyway, he said no.

Hopefully this helps the message that some county boards couldn't run a bath and all the funding in the world wont change that
the Gala dinner in New York was very much sold as a Mayoo GAA event ,
Bad show now if he doesn't want to hand over the money now because hes not getting his own way ,
as the saying goes 'Beware of Greeks bearing Gifts'
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Sadly an awful lot of Co Boards are vulnerable to this kind of individual as they try to fund and compete at Inter County level.
Now if the GAA was to decide that " football needs a strong Mayo" etc etc
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

shark

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 26, 2019, 10:50:07 AM
Quote from: shark on September 26, 2019, 10:45:22 AM

250K donation.
60K training trips

Plus plenty plenty more.

Im not sure I buy this. If Mayo can find a group of wealthy backers I really dont see why others cant.

Again, I get the feeling its easier to whinge thaen do

Well of course it is. And for sure some counties will not be proactive enough or have the required competencies to chase this type of cash.

But there is a finite number of people who will want to bankroll amateur GAA teams. Counties with larger populations, and larger emigrate populations are in a stronger position to make use of this. The money here is eye watering. There is no way every county can raise to the same level.