Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Tony Baloney

Are their any figures in the public domain in UK etc as to how percentage of multiple abortions by a single person as using abortion as birth control has been a key argument. I remember reading that some women in England had >5 abortions. In those cases I'd have said the women needed counselling.

AZOffaly

Quote from: sid waddell on May 01, 2018, 04:33:08 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 01, 2018, 04:28:55 PM
To be honest, I try to ignore all the Yes and No bullshit. As I said on another thread, I read the proposed referendum changes, and the proposed legislation, and that's what I'll make my mind up on. (Or have already)

what lies are the No side putting out?
For a start, their narrative is to try and fool the public that there will be unrestricted access to abortion up to six months.

This is a blatant lie.

David Robert Grimes laid out some of their other lies in an Irish Times article last month.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/myths-and-lies-about-abortion-must-be-debunked-1.3448176

That's obviously a lie, *but* it's not untrue to say this referendum would allow legislation to be brought at some point in the future which could have any term right up to birth.

I realise legislation like that would (hopefully) never get through the Dáil, but the actual constitutionality of it would be fine.

Syferus

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 01, 2018, 04:37:07 PM
Are their any figures in the public domain in UK etc as to how percentage of multiple abortions by a single person as using abortion as birth control has been a key argument. I remember reading that some women in England had >5 abortions. In those cases I'd have said the women needed counselling.

Or more likely the pill. Sex ed would be more effective than counselling in addressing that sort of problem.

The Iceman

Quote from: sid waddell on May 01, 2018, 04:21:54 PM
I think there is a clear majority in favour of repealing the 8th Amendment among all the public, but I expect the actual poll to be very close, perhaps as close as the divorce referendum in 1995.

The No side polled 37.93% in the 2015 same sex marriage referendum. It's hard to imagine anybody who voted No in that referendum voting Yes to repealing the 8th Amendment.

So, notwithstanding the small turnover in the electorate in that three year gap, the No side are effectively starting with almost 38%.

But there will be people who voted Yes in the 2015 referendum voting No this time.

Then, the Yes side have the age old problem of getting young people to actually come out and vote. That won't be a problem for the No side.

The potential for fake news and lies pushed by the No side to become the dominant narrative over the next three and a half weeks is very real. That's the only way they can win. Gavin Sheridan was on Twitter and on radio over the last couple of days detailing how the No side are putting up fake "unbiased" Facebook pages in order to gather data on undecided voters and microtarget.

The No campaign, like Brexit and Trump, are relying on underhand Cambridge Analytica-style methods to sway voters.
the majority of the people who surprisingly voted yes in the same sex marriage referendum, I feel voted to stick one to the church. And in their eyes it doesn't have a negative impact on society or doesn't hurt anyone. Those same people won't vote yes for abortion. Theres a big difference and the two issues cannot be compared. I know loads of atheists and agnostics who are anti abortion.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Syferus

Quote from: The Iceman on May 01, 2018, 04:41:36 PM
I think there is a clear majority in favour of repealing the 8th Amendment among all the public, but I expect the actual poll to be very close, perhaps as close as the divorce referendum in 1995.

The No side polled 37.93% in the 2015 same sex marriage referendum. It's hard to imagine anybody who voted No in that referendum voting Yes to repealing the 8th Amendment.

So, notwithstanding the small turnover in the electorate in that three year gap, the No side are effectively starting with almost 38%.

But there will be people who voted Yes in the 2015 referendum voting No this time.

Then, the Yes side have the age old problem of getting young people to actually come out and vote. That won't be a problem for the No side.

The potential for fake news and lies pushed by the No side to become the dominant narrative over the next three and a half weeks is very real. That's the only way they can win. Gavin Sheridan was on Twitter and on radio over the last couple of days detailing how the No side are putting up fake "unbiased" Facebook pages in order to gather data on undecided voters and microtarget.

The No campaign, like Brexit and Trump, are relying on underhand Cambridge Analytica-style methods to sway voters.
the majority of the people who surprisingly voted yes in the same sex marriage referendum, I feel voted to stick one to the church. And in their eyes it doesn't have a negative impact on society or doesn't hurt anyone. Those same people won't vote yes for abortion. Theres a big difference and the two issues cannot be compared. I know loads of atheists and agnostics who are anti abortion.

You're an insufferable twàt to suggest people voted Yes to stick it to the church from your birds eye view of modern Ireland over in America.

The fact you call it surprising shows how massively out of touch you are with this country.

AZOffaly

I voted Yes in the Marriage Equality Referendum. Because I wanted to allow Gay People have the same access to a family unit, even just as a couple, as anyone else. That was about fairness, and nobody was getting hurt at all.

This referendum is not nearly a clear cut in my view.

whitey

Both sides are spreading bvllshit, but the No side seem to have an huge edge in that regard

The  "In Her Shoes" page had a whopper just this past week where a featured posters story completely contradicted what she had posted on social media when she was pregnant

The Iceman

Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2018, 04:44:27 PM

You're an insufferable twàt to suggest people voted Yes to stick it to the church from your birds eye view of modern Ireland over in America.

The fact you call it surprising shows how massively out of touch you are with this country.
I'm talking about our generation - the older generation - your da an ma and aunts and uncles - a lot of them would have voted for marriage referendum because of gripes with the church - i've talked to more people about it, older people and they agree thats the underlying reason...
abortion is a whole different issue and in no way correlates
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Syferus

Quote from: The Iceman on May 01, 2018, 05:00:30 PM

I'm talking about our generation - the older generation - your da an ma and aunts and uncles - a lot of them would have voted for marriage referendum because of gripes with the church - i've talked to more people about it, older people and they agree thats the underlying reason...
abortion is a whole different issue and in no way correlates

They are literally 100% incorrect if they think it materially effected the result. The church's role in that referendum as any sort of driving force was minuscule. People simply do not care anymore.

Tony Baloney

If the Yes vote goes through what is the financial impact on the person seeking an abortion? Presumably this wouldn't be within the remit of health insurance and if it's driven by lifestyle rather than medical necessity will the women have to pay?

longballin

Was more towards Yes but not convinced until I saw Late Late Show debate on Friday night. Have no vote though. So it's a Yes from me.

mrdeeds

Owenmoresider

sid waddell

Quote from: whitey on May 01, 2018, 04:58:13 PM
Both sides are spreading bvllshit, but the No side seem to have an huge edge in that regard

The  "In Her Shoes" page had a whopper just this past week where a featured posters story completely contradicted what she had posted on social media when she was pregnant
You can provide a link to this of course?

Because you wouldn't want to have a reputation for just spouting nonsense - not that I'm saying you have, not at all...  ;D

Eamonnca1

There's no need for that.