Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Voting boundaries help them. The map is interesting viewing. It's purely coastal and nowhere near border counties they have seats in.

whitey

All my family in England are hardcore Labour supporters-just pulled this comment of my cousins page

"Let us all revolt against this evil regime start marching against there political issues let's kick the f**k out of every tory cvnt sc**bag bastards"

LOL

Mikhailov

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 14, 2019, 04:03:51 PM
Voting boundaries help them. The map is interesting viewing. It's purely coastal and nowhere near border counties they have seats in.

Sure coastal is the new border. The DUP now hold all the areas close to the new sea border - complete bunch of fools. No leader(s) whatsoever in that party at all. Arlene our, Jeffrey too weak so where do they go from here

seafoid

Corbyn was given as the reason why Labour lost seats in traditional Labour areas but it doesn't make sense unless there is something behind it like a culture war.

@steveTbone
·
I'm northern, working class, I've seen the disaffection up here Michael. It's a feeling of abandonment mixed with rage. We know something is wrong, but we are not encouraged to delve into politics. That's for the political class. That's what political class tell us.

@Luke Pagarani
... so it has taken four years for low engagement voters to absorb it fully. The real charge against Corbyn is that he fundamentally believes that British/white lives are of equal value with the lives of others.

@LukePagarani

Our opponents wouldn't put it so bluntly but that is what it has always been about. That prioritisation of British lives must always be assumed, never justified, taken for granted as the ground the state is built on, never officially avowed except through ritual.

@LukePagarani
·
The cenotaph. Gerry Adams. Prosecutions of historic crimes in N.I. Laying wreaths in foreign cemeteries. Poppies. Diane Abbott. Pushing the button. Watching the Queen at Christmas.

@LukePagarani

It is impossible to defend Corbyn against this unspoken charge because it is clearly true.

@LukePagarani

What is particularly strange about all this is how it has moved away from primarily a concern about immigration itself, to a broader set of questions of patriotism, fiscal constraint, Brexit for its own sake rather than to end free movement, and deference to authority. 14/

Liberty
@libertyhq

𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗲'𝗿𝗲 𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗴:

Edits to the Human Rights Act.
More surveillance.
More discriminatory policing.
Racist hostile environment.
Government that wants to put itself above the law.

George Eaton
@georgeeaton

What a Conservative majority means:

- Brexit.
- End of free movement.
- Potential abolition of Human Rights Act.
- Voter ID law.
- Judiciary curbed.
- Boundary reforms.

@GabrielleKent
My brother is a personal trainer in Newcastle. This morning he was training a British Asian client from Darras Hall area. Her neighbour knocked on her door this morning and said, "Just to let you know, the Conservatives won. So we won't have to put up with you lot much longer."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/12/13/cataclysmic-election-confirms-realignment-british-politics-almost/
"The realignment of politics in England and Wales, which began with the rise of Ukip after 2010, is now almost complete.
We are now in a new political settlement in which the main division over politics is not so much economics as national identity and cultural politics, although economic issues still play a part."

This is English Nationalism. It's a distraction from income inequality and is really scary for Unionists. 

gallsman

Quote from: whitey on December 14, 2019, 05:17:20 PM
All my family in England are hardcore Labour supporters-just pulled this comment of my cousins page

"Let us all revolt against this evil regime start marching against there political issues let's kick the f**k out of every tory cvnt sc**bag b**tards"

LOL

No you didn't.

LOL

Eamonnca1

Quote from: marty34 on December 14, 2019, 10:07:28 AM
Eastwood's pledge was "he'll stop Brexit", if elected.

That was on the assumption of a hung parliament.

Pearse Doherty the best of the T.D.'s.  Doing great works on the mortgage crisis/banks and only this week, super work on car insurance.

Agreed. An underrated character. The likes of him and Máirtín Ó Muilleoir are excellent leadership material.

Eamonnca1

Okay, is it just me or is nobody talking about the fact that the Tories did not win the popular vote? They got 43.6% of the vote. In a PR voting system the pro-Remain vote would have been even stronger and this would have been a hung parliament.

screenexile

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 15, 2019, 04:37:10 AM
Okay, is it just me or is nobody talking about the fact that the Tories did not win the popular vote? They got 43.6% of the vote. In a PR voting system the pro-Remain vote would have been even stronger and this would have been a hung parliament.

If your Granny had balls she'd be your grandad!

Labour lost and instead of changing the rules they need to figure out how they haven't won an election agains the worst incumbent Govt in history.

imtommygunn

Quote from: screenexile on December 15, 2019, 06:13:04 AM

Labour lost and instead of changing the rules they need to figure out how they haven't won an election agains the worst incumbent Govt in history.

Exactly. I like Corbyn but if you can not oust what is probably the most unscrupulous of prime ministers in the history of prime ministers, and that is saying something, then you have no chance. Yes media smear etc etc but a leader needs conviction in his beliefs and he did not display this in his campaign.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 15, 2019, 10:11:46 AM

Exactly. I like Corbyn but if you can not oust what is probably the most unscrupulous of prime ministers in the history of prime ministers, and that is saying something, then you have no chance. Yes media smear etc etc but a leader needs conviction in his beliefs and he did not display this in his campaign.
Labour went all left wing

They needed to move to a centrist position with a very simple message.
People don't read manifestos
They will only remember slogans and dirt on the opponents

Labour should have been attacking the clearly racist Tories and what they have done with their 9 years in power
How many billions already wasted on brexit?

seafoid

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 15, 2019, 10:18:34 AM

Labour should have been attacking the clearly racist Tories and what they have done with their 9 years in power

They didn't understand what was going on in the working class seats they lost in the North of England. The election was basically a transfer of 60 Labour seats to the Tories and some Tory losses.

Racism won seats for the Tories in working class areas. It's a culture war.

seafoid

England is basically middle class in much of the South and certain areas elsewhere and poor in the deindustrialised areas of the Midlands and the North. Enough of the people who live in these areas are desperate enough to follow the Tories and deliver them a majority. They won them the Leave vote and they won them this election The UK needs a  Marshall Plan to fix this problem.

http://shura.shu.ac.uk/14603/1/cresr30th-jobs-welfare-austerity_Final%20published%20Report.pdf

imtommygunn

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 15, 2019, 10:18:34 AM

Exactly. It was a really weak campaign.

LCohen

Where to next for the UUP voter. FST is a case apart as the reported UUP vote includes DUP supporters. But in a number of constituencies (East Belfast, south Antrim and Lagan Valley) they can roll in behind Alliance and dislodge DUP. In a few more a similar give from say SDLP (East Antrim) or SDLP + Green (Strangford) will dislodge DUP. The move in moderate unionism is well underway. Moderate nationalism could well do the same. Tactical voting by natural SF supporters would accelerate all of this

whitey

Time to move the goalposts