TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

It's hard to compare because they were in 2 different era's if LeBron had been around in MJ's time it would be the same thing I think. Michael was a bigger star nearly because he wasn't as accessible so was up on a higher pedestal. Also he pretty much began the notion of a player being a brand.

I think LeBron is the better player and going back to the Cavs and winning a championship was huge but in terms of being an icon Jordan is the name you associate with Basketball!

bennydorano

Finished that White Lines on Netflix, watchable but overall pretty poor tbh, with some hammy acting & story lines. Unique in that every character was hateful, jesus you were rooting for no one in it.

Taylor

Quote from: bennydorano on May 22, 2020, 12:03:59 AM
Finished that White Lines on Netflix, watchable but overall pretty poor tbh, with some hammy acting & story lines. Unique in that every character was hateful, jesus you were rooting for no one in it.

Finished the first episode which was average.
Only started it because it was trending as number 1.

Should I bin the rest of it?

JimStynes

I thought it was shite and stopped watching after 3/4 episodes. The acting is terrible.

bennydorano

To quote the wife "that's 10 hours of my life I'm not getting back".

Some good tunes tho.

Jeepers Creepers

As much as love dance music and Ibiza stories and scenery, I haven't rush back to watch after the first 2 episodes even with orgy scenes.

rosnarun

Quote from: screenexile on May 19, 2020, 10:37:28 PM
It’s hard to compare because they were in 2 different era’s if LeBron had been around in MJ’s time it would be the same thing I think. Michael was a bigger star nearly because he wasn’t as accessible so was up on a higher pedestal. Also he pretty much began the notion of a player being a brand.

I think LeBron is the better player and going back to the Cavs and winning a championship was huge but in terms of being an icon Jordan is the name you associate with Basketball!
what has to be constantly remembered about The last Dance is it more or less a Michael Jordan/Nike production so don't expect any serious analysis of his place in the pantheon or of the NBA place in the world
. in Ireland your considered a US sports freak if you know the names of the teams let alone the top players on anything other than the best teams .
without google who can name me the bulls 2 best players now?
Jordan was show business and brought in money to Basketball . nobody's going to Question that
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Minder

As Gallsman says impossible and futile to compare, stats for instance When people compare LBJ & Jordan's stats - 3 point shooting wasn't part of the game then the way it is now, when Jordan was playing in college there wasn't even a 3pt line.

Game totally different then, most teams went through a big centre in the paint, Olajuwon, Ewing & Shaq etc. Now you have players like LeBron at 6"9 & Durant at 6"11 running the floor like guards and shooting 3s. Does anyone think Jordan wouldn't have become a very good 3 shooter if playing now ?

Good article here discussing it -

https://www.espn.co.uk/nba/story/_/id/29158278/five-reasons-michael-jordan-just-good-today-nba
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

rosnarun

Quote from: Minder on May 22, 2020, 01:28:31 PM
As Gallsman says impossible and futile to compare, stats for instance When people compare LBJ & Jordan’s stats - 3 point shooting wasn’t part of the game then the way it is now, when Jordan was playing in college there wasn’t even a 3pt line.

Game totally different then, most teams went through a big centre in the paint, Olajuwon, Ewing & Shaq etc. Now you have players like LeBron at 6”9 & Durant at 6”11 running the floor like guards and shooting 3s. Does anyone think Jordan wouldn’t have become a very good 3 shooter if playing now ?

https://www.espn.co.uk/nba/story/_/id/29158278/five-reasons-michael-jordan-just-good-today-nba
if your allowing for time then JOrdan could not lace the boots of Bill Russell 11/13 and an Olympic gold without a dream team around him.

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

J70

Quote from: Minder on May 22, 2020, 01:28:31 PM
As Gallsman says impossible and futile to compare, stats for instance When people compare LBJ & Jordan's stats - 3 point shooting wasn't part of the game then the way it is now, when Jordan was playing in college there wasn't even a 3pt line.

Game totally different then, most teams went through a big centre in the paint, Olajuwon, Ewing & Shaq etc. Now you have players like LeBron at 6"9 & Durant at 6"11 running the floor like guards and shooting 3s. Does anyone think Jordan wouldn't have become a very good 3 shooter if playing now ?

Good article, and hard to argue with any of that.

Its like saying Pele wouldn't still be an all-time great if he were around today.

Milltown Row2

Great players would always have adopted.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Is that as well as having their own children MR2 😉🙊

Main Street

I never would have guessed that basketball was such a popular sport here with so many knowledgeable followers, who must have played the game at some level themselves and avidly followed the fortunes of Michael Jordon et al in the NBA in the 1990s, however that was possible -  perhaps by a transatlantic phone connection?
Perhaps we just knew things differently before broadband. We'd look at a photo in the newspaper and just know that such and such was a class act.

JoG2

Quote from: Main Street on May 22, 2020, 10:02:38 PM
I never would have guessed that basketball was such a popular sport here with so many knowledgeable followers, who must have played the game at some level themselves and avidly followed the fortunes of Michael Jordon et al in the NBA in the 1990s, however that was possible -  perhaps by a transatlantic phone connection?
Perhaps we just knew things differently before broadband. We'd look at a photo in the newspaper and just know that such and such was a class act.

No Channel 4 in the Free State?

Milltown Row2

I've a few mates who are basketball fanatics! Our club had a very successful team back in The day. Few international players, games would have been played in Andytown leisure centre for the games..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea