Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: J70 on August 22, 2023, 12:12:12 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 22, 2023, 09:50:34 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 21, 2023, 06:34:09 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 21, 2023, 05:28:32 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 21, 2023, 04:58:08 PM
Satellite Data Record Shows Climate Change's Impact on Fires

Hot and dry. These are the watchwords for large fires. While every fire needs a spark to ignite and fuel to burn, the hot and dry conditions in the atmosphere determine the likelihood of a fire starting, its intensity and the speed at which it spreads. Over the past several decades, as the world has increasingly warmed, so has its potential to burn.

Since 1880, the world has warmed by 1.9 degrees Fahrenheit (1.09 degrees Celsius), with the five warmest years on record occurring in the last five years. Since the 1980s, the wildfire season has lengthened across a quarter of the world's vegetated surface, and in some places like California, fire has become nearly a year-round risk. The year 2018 was California's worst wildfire season on record, on the heels of a devasting 2017 fire season. In 2019, wildfires have already burned 2.5 million acres in Alaska in an extreme fire season driven by high temperatures, which have also led to massive fires in Siberia.

Full article.

What data has the satellite produced which shows forest fires are linked to climate change. This is the crap that gives every conspiracy but in the world an argument. The data from a satellite may show warming, it may show more fires but does it show a link between both?

So the increase in wildfires and the increase in global average temperatures are just a coincidence then?

Coincidence, two facts that are not linked - whatever you are having yourself. Going around linking everything and its mother to climate change does incredible damage to the argument for less burning off fossil fuels, moving to sustainable energy etc as the doubters will continue to doubt. Next thing we will have people linking increased sightings of UFOs to Climate change!

Jaysus Itchy, you're sitting on a goldmine there and you don't know it. There are plenty of right think tanks and donors out there dying to feed money to mouthpieces who will "prove" the lack of links between climate change and wildfires, severe weather, drought etc etc. You can be the new guy (singular) who Fox News wheels out because they don't have many options among scientists who are pretty much unanimous that increasingly severe wildfires are at least partly down to climate change.

And this argument some lads are throwing around here about arson?

So what? Arson, carelessness, a rim hitting a curb, or a lightning strike -what's the difference? The issue is that once they start, they very rapidly burn out of control consuming everything and anything that is in their path and cause massive destruction due to the conditions humans have created through climate change, habitat destruction, invasive species spread, poor management and building in unsuitable areas.

The key word is "partly" in your post. How much of the increase in fires are the due to climate change. What are the other factors because I am hearing none being presented in media and yet on here we all know fires are being started deliberately. Are all fire started by vandals or is there farmers doing it too (there certainly are in Ireland) What if one of the other contributing causes can be addressed  more quickly than climate change? Why are we not having media inform us about this? It seems if you ask a question or point out something that goes against this new cult you will be metaphorically be burned at the stake. And I believe that Climate Change is real and man made by the way before you accuse me of being a conspiracy theorist.

Eamonnca1

CiKe

Quote from: CiKe on August 22, 2023, 11:33:52 AM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on August 22, 2023, 08:08:44 AM
I'm in Greece at the minute and nearly all the fires here have been started deliberately. It's heartbreaking to see so much destruction caused by a few pricks. The latest fires in the north east have been started by illegal immigrants who are trying to keep the authorities busy. Burn half a county f**k the consequences the death and destruction. Can't understand the mentality

A fireman I know who has been fighting these fires told me that they have feck all to do with a carelessly discarded cigarette butt - they're not sufficient to start a fire. All the major fires are deliberate, either cos someone is just a c*nt or because of some dispute with the neighbour where they try to burn some land and things get out of control (which is apparently WAY more common than you would think, at least here in Spain).

On basis of last few comments about climate deniers (not sure if I got lumped in there), to be clear, I am not denying climate change at all. What I am saying is that a fireman here in Spain has told me that the vast majority of these fires are not being started by climate change or discarded cigarette butts, they are being started by arson. Climate change undeniably makes the impact far worse as everything is bone dry, but if you could eliminate the firestarters, we'd see many less fires.

One fireman, take of that what you will, if other people have heard different am happy to hear what they have been told.

bennydorano

BBC News - Greece wildfires: Eighteen bodies found in Greek forest
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66579193

18 bodies believed to be migrants.

seafoid

Awful tragedy like something out of WW2. Climate change is run by different Nazis.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AustinPowers

Quote from: Itchy on August 22, 2023, 12:30:52 PM

Hot and dry. These are the watchwords for large fires. While every fire needs a spark to ignite and fuel to burn, the hot and dry conditions in the atmosphere determine the likelihood of a fire starting, its intensity and the speed at which it spreads. Over the past several decades, as the world has increasingly warmed, so has its potential to burn.

Since 1880, the world has warmed by 1.9 degrees Fahrenheit (1.09 degrees Celsius), with the five warmest years on record occurring in the last five years. Since the 1980s, the wildfire season has lengthened across a quarter of the world's vegetated surface, and in some places like California, fire has become nearly a year-round risk. The year 2018 was California's worst wildfire season on record, on the heels of a devasting 2017 fire season. In 2019, wildfires have already burned 2.5 million acres in Alaska in an extreme fire season driven by high temperatures, which have also led to massive fires in Siberia.

Full article.

What data has the satellite produced which shows forest fires are linked to climate change. This is the crap that gives every conspiracy but in the world an argument. The data from a satellite may show warming, it may show more fires but does it show a link between both?

So the increase in wildfires and the increase in global average temperatures are just a coincidence then?

Coincidence, two facts that are not linked - whatever you are having yourself. Going around linking everything and its mother to climate change does incredible damage to the argument for less burning off fossil fuels, moving to sustainable energy etc as the doubters will continue to doubt. Next thing we will have people linking increased sightings of UFOs to Climate change!

Jaysus Itchy, you're sitting on a goldmine there and you don't know it. There are plenty of right think tanks and donors out there dying to feed money to mouthpieces who will "prove" the lack of links between climate change and wildfires, severe weather, drought etc etc. You can be the new guy (singular) who Fox News wheels out because they don't have many options among scientists who are pretty much unanimous that increasingly severe wildfires are at least partly down to climate change.

So what? Arson, carelessness, a rim hitting a curb, or a lightning strike -what's the difference? The issue is that once they start, they very rapidly burn out of control consuming everything and anything that is in their path and cause massive destruction due to the conditions humans have created through climate change, habitat destruction, invasive species spread, poor management and building in unsuitable areas.

The key word is "partly" in your post. How much of the increase in fires are the due to climate change. What are the other factors because I am hearing none being presented in media and yet on here we all know fires are being started deliberately. Are all fire started by vandals or is there farmers doing it too (there certainly are in Ireland) What if one of the other contributing causes can be addressed  more quickly than climate change? Why are we not having media inform us about this? It seems if you ask a question or point out something that goes against this new cult you will be metaphorically be burned at the stake. And I believe that Climate Change is real and man made by the way before you accuse me of being a conspiracy theorist.

Climate change has  become the new religion and any   questioning  of it , no matter how small ,  is akin to   blasphemy

RedHand88

Quote from: AustinPowers on August 22, 2023, 04:16:01 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 22, 2023, 12:30:52 PM

Full article.

Climate change has  become the new religion and any   questioning  of it , no matter how small ,  is akin to   blasphemy

Not blasphemy no. But you can't expect people to not laugh at you when you come out with this guff. You are free to express your opinion, but we are also free to mock you relentlessly.

Eamonnca1

Sweet Jesus. Here comes the self-pity crew.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 22, 2023, 05:15:41 PM

No it's  not.  I'm simply  saying that Some people  here have   questioned    Whether fires  are linked to  climate change  (others have questioned  other things here and elsewhere ).   But your reply and the  reply before yours ,  kind of sums up  my point. 

RadioGAAGAA

Probably fair to say that the origin of the fire may not be climate related, but the difficulty in putting the damn thing out most certainly is.
i usse an speelchekor

From the Bunker

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 22, 2023, 05:15:41 PM

Hey have a bit of respect. There is a tidal wave of hysteria on the Climate Change stuff. Media has gone into overdrive. Every half arsed weather condition that is a bit out of the ordinary is lumped into this doom and gloom category.

There are legitimate Climate Change stuff and there is the load of B*llocks stuff that in no way involves climate change.
If we can't question, have a debate, show doubt, about what is and what is not - then what are we?

thewobbler

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on August 22, 2023, 09:53:14 PM
Probably fair to say that the origin of the fire may not be climate related, but the difficulty in putting the damn thing out most certainly is.

Lots of trees in close proximity to each other is a bigger reason again, and that's not a man made issue.

Whilst I am being largely facetious here, I don't think it's possible for the climate to revert back to what our scientists might describe as normal or acceptable levels, without a rapid depopulation of the planet. For the more humans there are, the greater the need for industry, the greater the thirst for experimentation good and bad, and the greater the output of waste.

The real dilemma for the human race is not about whether to go green, but whether it can accept that a Thanos style solution is the best way to ensure a liveable planet for our distant generations.

burdizzo

Quote from: thewobbler on August 22, 2023, 10:24:25 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on August 22, 2023, 09:53:14 PM

Lots of trees in close proximity to each other is a bigger reason again, and that's not a man made issue.

Whilst I am being largely facetious here, I don't think it's possible for the climate to revert back to what our scientists might describe as normal or acceptable levels, without a rapid depopulation of the planet. For the more humans there are, the greater the need for industry, the greater the thirst for experimentation good and bad, and the greater the output of waste.

The real dilemma for the human race is not about whether to go green, but whether it can accept that a Thanos style solution is the best way to ensure a liveable planet for our distant generations.

Exactly. Recently-deceased Finnish philosopher, Pentti Linkola, advocated for measures such as an end to democracy, licences for couples to be allowed to have children, and the destruction of the cities (and their populations), to be imposed as soon as possible, before the damage to the planet became irreversible. However, there weren't too many willing for that harsh medicine...!

armaghniac

People are having less children in any case. but perhaps the population decline will not be fast enough.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

burdizzo

Quote from: armaghniac on August 22, 2023, 10:53:48 PM
People are having less children in any case. but perhaps the population decline will not be fast enough.

I don't think world population is projected to decline before 100 years from now? Definitely not soon enough!