FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by laoislad, April 01, 2022, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CiKe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 09, 2022, 11:40:29 PM
The media love in with messi would make you vomit. I really think the guy on the pitch is a wizard but seeing him against Poland initially then tonight it tends to muddy the waters

I would have loved to see him win it, not so sure anymore. Read that it was Weghorst who he made the "what you looking at, fool?" comment to before his interview. Wonder did Weghorst say anything, not very classy in any case, two goal supersub and rolled in his penalty.

thebuzz

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 09, 2022, 11:29:06 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on December 09, 2022, 11:23:55 PM
The Argentinians will be great fellas if they beat England in the final.
Pains me to say it but I would rather England win than that shower
I don't know how anyone in this country could want England to win over any other team in the competition no matter what their faults.

I have nothing against the players or the fans but the shite the English media come out with would absolutely do my head in if they won.

Jell 0 Biafra

The players honestly seem like a nice enough bunch, certainly the most likeable England team in my lifetime.  The fans...well, the ones over there right now seem grand, but well, England fans...do I really need to say more?

But yeah, like you say, if they won, their media would be unbearable.  And Brexiteers would somehow claim the credit.

Gabriel_Hurl

American journalist Grant Wahl has passed away in Qatar after the NED-ARG match. His family thinks it wasn't just an accident.

This was his last story yesterday.

Armagh18

Quote from: Blowitupref on December 09, 2022, 06:19:07 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 09, 2022, 06:08:02 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on December 09, 2022, 05:53:38 PM
Quote from: weareros on December 09, 2022, 05:51:53 PM
Croatia well capable of making final again. Population 3.8m. You have to admire them.

An example to small countries like ourselves to what can be done.

You have to remember everybody who plays a team game plays Soccer in Croatia.
Ireland has Gaelic Football, Hurling and Rugby that takes away many available athletic individuals.

They play Basketball and water polo in Croatia also winning medals in the Olympics and world championships
We win boxing medals ;) and rowing

seafoid

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 09, 2022, 11:56:02 PM
Still say he nowhere as good as Maradona and I am well old enough to have seen enough of them play. Messi never had to deal with the legal tackle from behind before it was outlawed. Destroyed many a forward.
Messi doesn't have the charisma that Maradona had. He was adored in Naples.

Messi's pass for the Molino goal was superb. He can create something out of nothing.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

smort

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 10, 2022, 02:50:34 AM
American journalist Grant Wahl has passed away in Qatar after the NED-ARG match. His family thinks it wasn't just an accident.

This was his last story yesterday.

Pretty worrying

Read that he had been feeling unwell for a few days, but it's very suspicious. He was detained for wearing a rainbow tshirt earlier in the tournament

seafoid

Argentina are now 15/8. France with one match more are 17/5.

imtommygunn

Still say he nowhere as good as Maradona and I am well old enough to have seen enough of them play. Messi never had to deal with the legal tackle from behind before it was outlawed. Destroyed many a forward.

Watch some of the tackles he endured in el classico. Pepe, Ramos and carvalho all out to destroy him. He's endured plenty too.

Very sad about the American guy grant wahl.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thebuzz on December 10, 2022, 01:16:57 AM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 09, 2022, 11:29:06 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on December 09, 2022, 11:23:55 PM
The Argentinians will be great fellas if they beat England in the final.
Pains me to say it but I would rather England win than that shower
I don't know how anyone in this country could want England to win over any other team in the competition no matter what their faults.

I have nothing against the players or the fans but the shite the English media come out with would absolutely do my head in if they won.
With you on that one. At the last Euros I thought I didn't mind them as the players seem to be a fairly decent bunch. Then fhe fans started at Wembely. The natural order of things was swiftly restored and I wanted to see them hammered.

Itchy

Quote from: thewobbler on December 10, 2022, 12:05:45 AM

"Nowhere near as good." Such tripe.

Why people feel the need to run down all time greats, I'll never understand.

Yep, that's an idiotic statement. No doubt both were incrediblely skilled players but the major difference for me is Messi sustained the incredible level he plays at for over a decade without dropping a level. He is simply the greatest soccer player ever and I cannot understand how anyone, other than either being thick or contrary, could think otherwise.

Main Street

Van Gaal has history with the hoof ball tactic, not least against Ireland sept 2001 when facing exit from the WC in the qualifiers. The Dutch ended up with 6 forwards  and the ball being relentlessly hoofed in against the elites of the hoof genre.

I don't know how Paredes avoided a second yellow for that ball he hit into the Dutch subs bench  and Otamendi  only picked up a yellow for a 3 hack tackle, with the 3rd hack entering the top 20 of the Argentinian Hack charts with a bullet.

michaelg

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 09, 2022, 10:28:26 PM

Only really saw the penalty shootout in the pub but there seemed to be an awful lot of slabbering from both sides during the shootout - People forgeting that Dutch footballers have been a bunch of pricks for decades - Slap it up them I say, and better that the World Cup semis has teams from all across the globe in it, rather than 4 Europeans teams

AustinPowers

Quote from: Main Street on December 10, 2022, 09:47:54 AM
Van Gaal has history with the hoof ball tactic, not least against Ireland sept 2001 when facing exit from the WC in the qualifiers. The Dutch ended up with 6 forwards  and the ball being relentlessly hoofed in against the elites of the hoof genre.

Then he did the reverse at United. , where he got rid of  all the strikers, and decided he'd try  and win games without scoring

Always felt he was  overrated, LVG

seafoid

Quote from: AustinPowers on December 10, 2022, 10:39:16 AM
Quote from: Main Street on December 10, 2022, 09:47:54 AM

Then he did the reverse at United. , where he got rid of  all the strikers, and decided he'd try  and win games without scoring

Always felt he was  overrated, LVG
I wouldn't judge any manager by success or otherwise at Man Utd post Fergie