Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 28, 2019, 11:09:03 AM
Everyone playing their cards close to their chest ;D

Some run by Stephen Scullion for 2nd. Former doper in first too.

Few friends did it again this year, one finally got under 4 hours the others finished under 3.30

They said the crowds were great. If and it's a big if, I might do Dublin, but feel I'd need to join a running club for the year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No1

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 28, 2019, 11:09:03 AM
Everyone playing their cards close to their chest ;D

Some run by Stephen Scullion for 2nd. Former doper in first too.

Scullion's race was perfectly executed, unreal considering how he ran in Doha about 3 weeks ago!!  I'm not sure he's well liked in the running community but I like the cut of his jib!  His interview afterwards was great!  If he keeps injury free they will have to select him for the Olympics.

imtommygunn

I don't know him but know plenty that do. He's a guy with phenomenal talent but a guy that just can't get his "head right". He would tell you that himself and realises that is his problem. I don't know if he's unpopular as such - just viewed more as a loose cannon lol.

He has great talent though and this is really only the first time we have seen it (well aside from London the other year).

I was trying to work out what shoes he was wearing yesterday. I think I read he was wearing the Nike 4% shoes.(I assume they are vaporflys?)

No1

Yeah that all rings true with what I've heard about him.  I think his podcasts might be worth a listen!

Saw a couple of photos and it looked like the vaporflys painted black to disguise them.  Not sure his sponsors Under Armour will be too impressed with that.

Fair play to him though, they seemed to help!

imtommygunn

Yeah that was why I was confused as to what he was wearing as he is sponsored by under armour.

Yeah, if you're round that pace you must be flying anyway but every little helps.

I do wonder was Clohissey wearing them too. If not he might be annoyed.

The Bearded One

Got a PB but had a horrible last half an hour, sub 3.25.
Up to mile 22 was comfortable running but then every step was a battle, but that happens a lot of people.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Bearded One on October 28, 2019, 12:25:38 PM
Got a PB but had a horrible last half an hour, sub 3.25.
Up to mile 22 was comfortable running but then every step was a battle, but that happens a lot of people.

Well done.. was it a mind thing or were you just gassed?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Bearded One

A combination of both I think. Once the body started hurting the head started doubting!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Bearded One on October 28, 2019, 03:26:59 PM
A combination of both I think. Once the body started hurting the head started doubting!

It's when the pacer who you wanted to stay in front of, who's wayyy behind you, starts sprinting past you! That's the killer

Eamonnca1

I tip my hat to anyone that can do a half marathon or anything longer. I ran a 12k yesterday and it was tough. Took off too quick from the start line and struggled to settle into a rhythm because it's an undulating off-road course. Got passed by a lot of people, didn't pass anyone, which is not how it was for me the last time I did it. Part of it includes climbing down a small cliff, running across a short beach, and going back up the other side, plus doing it again on the way back. I slowed to a crawl in the last mile. Not feeling too bad today though, just need to drink water and stretch.

imtommygunn

Dublin marathon has moved to a lottery system for next year :o

The Bearded One

I wonder how many of the 22,500 entries took to the start line on Sunday? Under 18,000 finished it...it seems to me there isn't much need for a lottery system, more so a need for a transfer timeframe.

imtommygunn

Agreed. It's pretty poor.

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 29, 2019, 11:11:30 AM
Seen that.
I was hoping to do it again next year which would be 3rd in a row and 5th time in 7 years,would be a shame to miss out after doing it so many times. Should be a system in place that if you have ran it a few times that you are guarenteed an entry or would that be asking too much?
I agree with the Bearded One also.I'm not sure there is even a need for a lottery. I apply for London every year along with 400k others for 50k odd spots.
I doubt Dublin,as good a race as it is, would have even 50k applicants
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on October 29, 2019, 12:45:48 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 29, 2019, 11:11:30 AM
Seen that.
I was hoping to do it again next year which would be 3rd in a row and 5th time in 7 years,would be a shame to miss out after doing it so many times. Should be a system in place that if you have ran it a few times that you are guarenteed an entry or would that be asking too much?
I agree with the Bearded One also.I'm not sure there is even a need for a lottery. I apply for London every year along with 400k others for 50k odd spots.
I doubt Dublin,as good a race as it is, would have even 50k applicants

From what I heard the organisers want the lottery to force Dublin city councils hand to either change the route/accomodate more people. Current start/finish area is at capacity.

I'm told from someone who should be a reliable source that two of the committee have a business interest in the Sports travel international company - who sell marathon entry packages. Hopefully it's not going down that route.