Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smort

Some posters would need to calm down. Think you have to be happy with the effort and performance of a lot of players. Decent first showing

tyrone08

Quote from: Angelo on May 15, 2021, 06:49:39 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on May 15, 2021, 06:44:36 PM
Happy enough with that performance. Played 30 mins with a man down, none of our star forwards played, missed simple chances due to being a bit rusty and only lost by 2 point's. Should have been a 1 point loss as I have no idea why the ref blew it up when tyrone were so close to goal

I'd agree with that.

The negatives I'd have today:

Our shooting was very wasteful in that second half
We switch off as soon as the ball goes dead and Donegal were up the field in a split second
Discipline wasn't good, we had a few frees brought forward for yapping and O'Neill's first yellow was very silly
Midfield is a huge worry, struggle to understand how Burns saw the game out
The performances of Donnelly, Harte and McKenna

Was also interesting that McCurry and Rafferty didn't get on - were arguably our two best players last year.

Donaghy was superb, showed real leadership - demanding the ball and hit some serious scores. Hampsey also looked back to his best and McGeary and Meyler look like players playing with a lot more confidence and freedom now.

Yeah I don't think burns is up to it. I wonder how much of todays play or lack of subs was due to not wanting to show too much too soon. Of course I could be over thinking it but I reckon tyrone will be happier than Donegal.

What major changes can Donegal make compared to Tyrone the next time they meet. This was a seasoned Donegal team with majority of first team on show and they beat a limited tyrone team by 2 points

HokeyPokey

Not great. Not terrible. Definitely should have won that.

The missed chances and the porous defense were the big issues. Probably too much pressing and gung-ho attacking.

I don't see the big issues some are taking with Meyler and McGeary. They were very good today. It's not as if teams play with 6 backs, 2 mf, 2 forwards. They get up and down the field and are decent on the ball. Their shooting wasn't great. Burns was pretty bad. McKenna looked rusty too. Harte and Donnelly mostly anonymous.

Donaghy looks like a great addition, to show such confidence and composure on his first game is VERY impressive. There is for once a serious range of different options in the forwards. The squad on paper looks strong aside from at midfield.

It's the first game, so can't expect them to be firing on all cylinders. A decent showing anyway.

Rich Ricci

What club is your man Donaghy from lads?

Angelo

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 15, 2021, 06:55:23 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 15, 2021, 06:49:39 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on May 15, 2021, 06:44:36 PM
Happy enough with that performance. Played 30 mins with a man down, none of our star forwards played, missed simple chances due to being a bit rusty and only lost by 2 point's. Should have been a 1 point loss as I have no idea why the ref blew it up when tyrone were so close to goal

I'd agree with that.

The negatives I'd have today:

Our shooting was very wasteful in that second half
We switch off as soon as the ball goes dead and Donegal were up the field in a split second
Discipline wasn't good, we had a few frees brought forward for yapping and O'Neill's first yellow was very silly
Midfield is a huge worry, struggle to understand how Burns saw the game out
The performances of Donnelly, Harte and McKenna

Was also interesting that McCurry and Rafferty didn't get on - were arguably our two best players last year.

Donaghy was superb, showed real leadership - demanding the ball and hit some serious scores. Hampsey also looked back to his best and McGeary and Meyler look like players playing with a lot more confidence and freedom now.

Yeah I don't think burns is up to it. I wonder how much of todays play or lack of subs was due to not wanting to show too much too soon. Of course I could be over thinking it but I reckon tyrone will be happier than Donegal.

What major changes can Donegal make compared to Tyrone the next time they meet. This was a seasoned Donegal team with majority of first team on show and they beat a limited tyrone team by 2 points

McMenamin and Ban Gallagher will replace the two corner backs if fit. Potentially MacNiallais could come in also.

Young Munroe stood up well too I thought, certainly looks up to the physical stakes anyway.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

CK_Redhand

Not too bad. Could have won it. As others mentioned our key men didn't play well in Mckenna(apart from first 15 mins), Donnelly and Harte.

McGeary good.  Morgan very good.  Donaghy excellent.  Dunno how he didn't get man of the match over mouthy Murphy.

Second yellow for O'Neill was a joke.  Also no foul called on Murphy closed fist in McGeary's face?

Discipline and long range shooting need sorted.

With McNamee and mcshane to come in, and more tinkering under new management I can see improvement in the future.

MC

Tyrone just about matching Donegal but sending off changed everything - not sure what the ref thought he saw for that one.

southtyronegael

Early days but pleased enough with that. Could definitely have been doing with more firepower on earlier and not sure what Peter hartes role is going to be going forward? Mattie played way too deep so had little influence. Donaghy excellent. Meyer had his best game for a long time and showed his kick passing ability. Plenty to work on but I'm happy enough.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: An Watcher on May 15, 2021, 06:48:43 PM
After today you'd have to wonder how Donaghy wasn't a regular before

To be fair no-one was suggesting Donaghy should be starting 12 months ago. Has been immense for Dungannon last year and fair play to Dooher/Logan for giving him his chance today.

trailer

McGeary kicked a few nice wides. As did Burns.

clarshack

Although it was disappointing not to get a result today don't forget that Donegal were going flat out and we have a lot more room for improvement.  Going forward though I'm not sure that Peter Harte has a role to play and we need to be getting more out of Mattie Donnelly and Conor McKenna as we need more leadership from those guys.

Angelo

Quote from: Angelo on September 11, 2019, 11:44:58 AM

A lot of talk in the club thread about potential players for next year, might be more suited here.

The u20s and u17s had some really good forwards this year but it's likely going to be another 3/4 years before they can impact at senior level and are up to the right physical levels. Was very surprised Mark Devlin didn't get named in the u17 team of the year, Donaghy of Carrickmore did but I thought Devlin was by far Tyrone's best player at that level.

Personally I'd wait for players to serve their time at u20 before bringing them into the senior fold, fair enough involving them for the McKenna Cup and maybe in the league until such time as the u20s get together but I think bar a Conor McKenna type talent we are not going to have any player under the age of 20 making a telling impact with us in the Championship.

Kilpatrick should be a shoe in for a call up this year, he would have got one last year only for the serious injury.

Other than that, we need to look at what areas we are lacking and what players we need to cut. From the cut perspective I think the following are on borrowed time:

- C McCann
- D McClure
- A McCrory
- R McHugh
- B Burns
- H Loughran

Possibly a few more I missed off the top of my head. All these lads are mid 20s or over now and haven't really made much of a contribution in the last two seasons, even including injuries.

I think we could do with another option or two in the full back line, Eoghan Murray definitely worth a shot in the McKenna Cup. Not aware of many other standouts there at the minute, I think Quinn on the u20s is too light yet. I'd like to see Rafferty and McLaughlin get a lot of time in the McKenna Cup in the full back line. Michael O'Neill is definitely worth a look in a half back line where we are reasonably well served. McNally is a good club player but that ship has sailed. How is Ruairi Mullan playing for Cookstown these days? Looked like a great talent on the u21 winning side but dropped off when he got the senior callup.

Harkin seems to be rated by Harte and I suspect he'll get a callup but I'm not sure he is much of an improvement on the likes of McCann and McClure. I like Nathan Donnelly of Killyclogher and think he is definitely worth a look, good engine a very similar type of player to Meyler with probably a better scoring return.

I think Paul Donaghy has a bit of size and scoring ability about him and is worth a look at in the McKenna Cup. Ryan Coleman also worth a look as well.

Bradley and McNulty will probably return to the squad next year, I wouldn't really bother with Lee Brennan, I don't think he gets in ahead of Bradley, McCurry or McAliskey.

In fairness, Angelo was calling out for Donaghy to be introduced since 2019.

And getting abuse for it from some quarters.

The slow learners will eventually come round though.

CK_Redhand

Angelo referring to himself in the third person or he forgot to switch to one of his sock puppet accounts?

Angelo

Quote from: CK_Redhand on May 15, 2021, 08:14:34 PM
Angelo referring to himself in the third person or he forgot to switch to one of his sock puppet accounts?

If only I could rely on such support rather than fervent hostility for being ahead of the curve.