No video ref for soccer

Started by tyssam5, March 06, 2010, 10:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8553463.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Football_Association_Board

The most interesting part about this for me is that the 4 'UK' associations still have vastly disproportionate power in deciding the laws of the game. NI seemly has more voting power than Germany, Italy or Brazil. Strange.

ross4life

the idea of the 4th official in Europa league would work better than a Video ref & it wouldn't slow down the Game
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

longrunsthefox

Hopefully Germany or France will get robbed in the World Cup... that'll soon make Blatter or Platini push this through. It's a joke... another terrible one today against Birmingham.       

EagleLord

The fact that they wont put video replays in football is an absolute disgrace. The amount of hassle it would save in unbeleivable. I hate people saying that it will slow the game down. Every player wants it, managers and fans too..sepp blatter is an asshole. full stop.

Just look at rugby as an example. The anticipation of the crowd when the ref calls for the video ref..everyne looking up to see if it says TRY or NO TRY..its brilliant..and how long does it take, a minute at most..as if little girls rolling around on the floor pretending to be injured doesnt slow the game down.. ::)

Denn Forever

Quote from: ross4life on March 06, 2010, 10:25:10 PM
the idea of the 4th official in Europa league would work better than a Video ref & it wouldn't slow down the Game

Will there be a report on how well/badly this worked?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Capt Pat

They are worse than the GAA for removing ancient rules. Why can we not have this in all the elite leagues in the world and the major tournaments. Every one else can make do with a ref if they have one. It won't slow anything down, it is easy to see fouls, balls crossing goal lines etc in a couple of second. The problem is the refs are sometimes too far away or their view is impeded.

Capt Pat

The 2 extra officials in the europa league is a load of bolloxology. 5 people following a game doesn't make sense. This is the TV age and surely they should have a referees assisstant sitting upstairs with all the camera angles to help the referee and linesman in the course of a game.

longrunsthefox

According to the Sunday Life the soccer shower here in the north voted against it in pay back at the FAI for yer man Wilson going to the Republic. If that is true they are bigger gobshites than I even thought as it will come back to bite them some time... the sooner the better.   

Mourne Rover

Everything that the Sunday Life predicted in the Darron Gibson case turned out to be wrong anyway.

trileacman

I never expected this to go through. It would make games much harder for FIFA to fix.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ziggysego

Quote from: EagleLord on March 06, 2010, 10:59:45 PM
I hate people saying that it will slow the game down. Every player wants it, managers and fans too..sepp blatter is an asshole. full stop.

If anything, it'll speed up the game. It'll stop players throwing themselves to the ground or taking dangerous tackles, if they think there would be video evidence.
Testing Accessibility