Armagh next steps

Started by bennydorano, July 03, 2023, 10:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Quote from: badjawbadteast on July 07, 2023, 08:07:41 AM
Quote from: Orior on July 05, 2023, 03:00:44 PM
Quote from: 5times5times on July 05, 2023, 02:27:53 PM
If Geezer goes, who would actually want the gig, when likely 4-5 senior players will hang boots up too?

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke

Is Stevie McDonnell still looking after the U21's? Who manages the minors?

Of that list, I would only look forward to Tony McEntee.
no Stevie isn't over 21s ex senior manager Peter McDonnell is along with Martin McQuillan,Brendan Hughes ex ogs manager along with Chris Rafferty ex ogs player currant st colmcilles grange manager are over the minors
Peter McDonnell and Martin McQuillan aren't over the u20s any more.  Barry O'Hagan and Oisin McConville were over them for a year until Oisin went to Wicklow.  Think Barry O'Hagan stayed on??
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

lurganblue

Quote from: mackers on July 07, 2023, 10:16:45 AM
Quote from: badjawbadteast on July 07, 2023, 08:07:41 AM
Quote from: Orior on July 05, 2023, 03:00:44 PM
Quote from: 5times5times on July 05, 2023, 02:27:53 PM
If Geezer goes, who would actually want the gig, when likely 4-5 senior players will hang boots up too?

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke

Is Stevie McDonnell still looking after the U21's? Who manages the minors?

Of that list, I would only look forward to Tony McEntee.
no Stevie isn't over 21s ex senior manager Peter McDonnell is along with Martin McQuillan,Brendan Hughes ex ogs manager along with Chris Rafferty ex ogs player currant st colmcilles grange manager are over the minors
Peter McDonnell and Martin McQuillan aren't over the u20s any more.  Barry O'Hagan and Oisin McConville were over them for a year until Oisin went to Wicklow.  Think Barry O'Hagan stayed on??

Yeah he had them this year.  No idea of the plans for next season.

BrotherMore6592

Malachy O'Rourke or McGuinness etc would have their eyes on a much bigger prize than a small limited county like Armagh with no real AI pedigree.

(I don't think McGuinness will manage again in GAA FWIW)

They'd be targeting teams with in the top 4 consistently over the last 20 years.

statto

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on July 07, 2023, 03:57:29 PM
Malachy O'Rourke or McGuinness etc would have their eyes on a much bigger prize than a small limited county like Armagh with no real AI pedigree.

They'd be targeting teams with in the top 4 consistently over the last 20 years.

Is that right Mal/Jim?

So the Derry job for example would not interest MOR? Knows the club scene worked with some of their players and had success with them.  Derry minors in 7 of last 9 ulster finals, but 1 AI so that wouldn't be a job any manager would be interested in. 

Monaghan were no world beaters or in your words had no pedigree when he took over there either. 

tonto1888

So Dublin Kerry Mayo tyrone. Why would MOR be targeting that type of team?

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 07, 2023, 04:19:51 PM

As much chance as Wicklow winning an Ireland as them boys.

Can't see Dublin being a top 2 team for many more years given their age profile. Tyrone fair enough there's a big challenge to get them back to all ireland winning level but plenty coming through to work with

rrhf

Would Oisin not become a major contender for the Armagh job.  Would he go backroom with MC Geeney in his last year? Same as Mc Geeney and Grimley.
It seems to be the way Armagh like to operate and in fairness it bloods the next man. They need to think about Mc Keevers role as well though.

ONeill

I think McGeeney is doing a good job. Fair enough he has relegated them this year and they've won nothing of note but they've contested two humdinger quarter-finals and their supporters travel in hope in great numbers for every game and there's something to be said for that.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Armagh18

Quote from: rrhf on July 07, 2023, 11:27:31 PM
Would Oisin not become a major contender for the Armagh job.  Would he go backroom with MC Geeney in his last year? Same as Mc Geeney and Grimley.
It seems to be the way Armagh like to operate and in fairness it bloods the next man. They need to think about Mc Keevers role as well though.
Yeah him or Tony Mac. Wouldn't have McKeever near it to be brutally honest, going by his record at club level he's the man behind the defensive shite.

Wildweasel74

McGeeney not good enough fullstop.Armagh have no other options within the county, maybe one of the McAtee's. O'Rourke be either at Tyrone or Derry. Good option if you got money is Jim Gavin or Pat Gilroy.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: ONeill on July 07, 2023, 11:30:27 PM
I think McGeeney is doing a good job. Fair enough he has relegated them this year and they've won nothing of note but they've contested two humdinger quarter-finals and their supporters travel in hope in great numbers for every game and there's something to be said for that.

+1
"Stercus accidit"

tonto1888

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 07, 2023, 10:47:10 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on July 07, 2023, 04:19:51 PM

As much chance as Wicklow winning an Ireland as them boys.

Can't see Dublin being a top 2 team for many more years given their age profile. Tyrone fair enough there's a big challenge to get them back to all ireland winning level but plenty coming through to work with

He did say top 4 consistently over the last 20 years

Smokin Joe

Kinda related to this thread; I see from Armagh facebook that the U15 and U16 squads have reached the final of the Buncrana Cup (U16) and Dermot Early Michael Glaveys (U15).
I was wondering grade these 2 competitions are

general_lee

I saw that, the Buncrana Cup would be fairly prestigious - when is the last time Armagh reached the final? Haven't heard of the u15 competition before if I'm honest.

Throw ball

Quote from: general_lee on July 09, 2023, 11:35:25 AM
I saw that, the Buncrana Cup would be fairly prestigious - when is the last time Armagh reached the final? Haven't heard of the u15 competition before if I'm honest.

As far as I know the under 16s won the under 15 competition last year - or at least got to the final.

The Buncrana Cup final is against Tyrone.