Armagh next steps

Started by bennydorano, July 03, 2023, 10:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 04, 2023, 09:21:07 PM
Quote from: 5times5times on July 04, 2023, 03:14:32 PM
Do Armagh persist with the Rafferty experiment? Bar a fluky goal v Galway in league, has been been a success this year?

Would a "real" goalkeeper have given us a better change in the 3 pen shootouts?

Would he not be an option at FF? Great hands and left peg

On the real goalkeeper question, I believe it would. I don't think we will win any penalty shoot out with Rafferty in goals. That's not meant as disrespectful to him I just believe someone who is an a tualy goalie is a better option in those circumstances

The value he adds as an additional outfield playmaker outweighs his value as a shot stopper in a penalty shoot-out.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thewobbler

My not very hot take on this.

Armagh have become a more negative team since fielding an "extra outfield playmaker". In terms of line breaks and chances created, they've dropped off the cliff.

So if this is meant to be a plus point, just look at the data.

onefineday

Quote from: seafoid on July 04, 2023, 10:03:46 AM
The important thing is to kick on from here . Armagh are in a better place than Down, for example.
Well they're in d2, but other than that I'm not sure why you make that assertion and if down win the TC they'll be assured of all Ireland football next season, unlike Armagh.

armaghniac

Quote from: onefineday on July 05, 2023, 12:39:48 AM
The important thing is to kick on from here . Armagh are in a better place than Down, for example.
Well they're in d2, but other than that I'm not sure why you make that assertion and if down win the TC they'll be assured of all Ireland football next season, unlike Armagh.

Whatever about getting over the line against Derry and Monaghan, they had no problem beating Down.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Quote from: armaghniac on July 05, 2023, 01:03:12 AM

Whatever about getting over the line against Derry and Monaghan, they had no problem beating Down.
Judging by the last time we played Down I wouldn't be losing any sleep about those boys for a while, but give Lavery a few years to get those u20's through and they'll be a side worth worrying about imo.

On the Rafferty thing, would definitely stick with it but at this stage we should realise he isn't the man for a penalty shootout. How hard would it be to make a sub in the last minute when we know the game is going to penalties?

So frustrating to be penalty shoot outs away from back to back semi finals (quite possibly a final last year) and an Ulster title. 

An Watcher

3 penalty defeats, surely a proper keeper would be a better option?  Just make the substitution at the end

Armamike

Quote from: An Watcher on July 05, 2023, 06:45:51 AM
3 penalty defeats, surely a proper keeper would be a better option?  Just make the substitution at the end

Ala Chelsea! 
That's just, like your opinion man.

full moon

They need to release the handbrake and be more direct. Anyone remember when they beat Dublin in Croke Park in the league last year, playing more direct attacking style. Was outstanding performance.

I know it was early league match but how many teams can do that to Dublin in Croker, in that style. League or not. No doubt they are stronger defensively now but as others have said they need to merge a bit more between that and this year.

I think they're probably as good as most of the others outside Dublin and Kerry. Tyrone, Derry, Galway, Mayo, maybe Monaghan and Roscommon a a bit below.

Itchy

Quote from: full moon on July 05, 2023, 12:53:46 PM
They need to release the handbrake and be more direct. Anyone remember when they beat Dublin in Croke Park in the league last year, playing more direct attacking style. Was outstanding performance.

I know it was early league match but how many teams can do that to Dublin in Croker, in that style. League or not. No doubt they are stronger defensively now but as others have said they need to merge a bit more between that and this year.

I think they're probably as good as most of the others outside Dublin and Kerry. Tyrone, Derry, Galway, Mayo, maybe Monaghan and Roscommon a a bit below.

Monaghan just beat Armagh in an AI quarter final so i'd say they couldn't be a bit below them.

Orior

If.

Louther

This is the bonkers thinking I'm here for  ;D You've just been beat by one of the teams that "maybe" a bit below you. If not further than a bit below you.

The reality is you've won sweet Fanny Adams and if they below you, beat them. In sport you earn reputation by beating teams and winning. Armagh got relelgated this year. In their group they struggled over Westmeath at home, got beat well by Tyrone and then popped Galway who haven't performed this year.  They had an easy path to an Ulster and then in two clutch games they choked when they seen the winning line. Armagh are exactly where they are. They aren't as good as the others or they'd still be playing.

Gael80

Quote from: Louther on July 05, 2023, 01:54:41 PM

This is the bonkers thinking I'm here for  ;D You've just been beat by one of the teams that "maybe" a bit below you. If not further than a bit below you.

The reality is you've won sweet Fanny Adams and if they below you, beat them. In sport you earn reputation by beating teams and winning. Armagh got relelgated this year. In their group they struggled over Westmeath at home, got beat well by Tyrone and then popped Galway who haven't performed this year.  They had an easy path to an Ulster and then in two clutch games they choked when they seen the winning line. Armagh are exactly where they are. They aren't as good as the others or they'd still be playing.

Maybe so but I still think there is a lottery element to penalty shoot outs. It's a bit like when Mayo were getting to and losing All Ireland Finals. It's frustrating for Mayo fans but many other counties would like to be getting as far.

Armagh are getting to All Ireland QF's and competing at that level. Whatever is decided on for next season it isn't a bad base to start from and many other counties would be delighted to be competing at those levels. Armagh are certainly not being over run or beat out the gate in the latter stages of championship football.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Gael80 on July 05, 2023, 02:17:26 PM
Quote from: Louther on July 05, 2023, 01:54:41 PM

Maybe so but I still think there is a lottery element to penalty shoot outs. It's a bit like when Mayo were getting to and losing All Ireland Finals. It's frustrating for Mayo fans but many other counties would like to be getting as far.

Armagh are getting to All Ireland QF's and competing at that level. Whatever is decided on for next season it isn't a bad base to start from and many other counties would be delighted to be competing at those levels.

Of course, penalties are a lottery but why do Armagh keep finding themselves at the mercy of a lottery instead of closing out the game in 70 minutes never mind 90? That's the real issue. Not that you've had bad luck in penalties.

5times5times

If Geezer goes, who would actually want the gig, when likely 4-5 senior players will hang boots up too?

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke

Orior

Quote from: 5times5times on July 05, 2023, 02:27:53 PM
If Geezer goes, who would actually want the gig, when likely 4-5 senior players will hang boots up too?

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke

Is Stevie McDonnell still looking after the U21's? Who manages the minors?

Of that list, I would only look forward to Tony McEntee.