Vatican - No more scattering of ashes

Started by The Gs Man, October 26, 2016, 11:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

So the Vatican have released new guidelines telling catholics they aren't allowed to scatter or hold ashes on anything other than Church approved holy ground?

Money making scheme in my opinion....
Keep 'er lit

MoChara

It's for your own good, because come the end of times and all our mortal remains are resurrected to be one with our spirit, god wouldn't know where to find ye.

Thy Kingdom Come

Do they still have a rule on Sex before Marriage?

How is that one fairing out?

Who is going to enforce this law?

We have not had a Parish Priest in the last 12 months!

T Fearon

Quite right.One's mortal remains are the property of the Divine Creator and should not be disposed of in a disrespectful manner

Oraisteach

Just curious about cremation, then.  I know the church favors burial, but it doesn't outlaw cremation, so what should families do who opt for cremation. Should they vacuum the incinerator to guarantee that every last bit of dusty ash is saved? Or what if someone sneezes over the ashes, or there's a draft, and a few grains of the departed waft into the air? 

seafoid

It must be something to do with the main congregation in the developing world. Maybe to deter ancestor worship or something

armaghniac

Quote from: Oraisteach on October 26, 2016, 06:38:49 PM
Just curious about cremation, then.  I know the church favors burial, but it doesn't outlaw cremation, so what should families do who opt for cremation. Should they vacuum the incinerator to guarantee that every last bit of dusty ash is saved? Or what if someone sneezes over the ashes, or there's a draft, and a few grains of the departed waft into the air?

There is always an idiotic post!
No doubt if you die in hospital while in surgery, they have to hoover up all the blood too.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Oraisteach

You pick mine, armaghniac, amid the torrent of Tonyisms! Wow, what an honor.  It's so hard to distinguish the serious from the satirical these days.

Orior

While my father was still alive, I asked him if he wanted buried or cremated. He said "surprise me"

This business of spreading ashes over your local football field or a fairway at your golf club. Do you like the idea of falling on your face and getting a lick of ashes?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Oraisteach on October 26, 2016, 07:33:44 PM
You pick mine, armaghniac, amid the torrent of Tonyisms! Wow, what an honor.  It's so hard to distinguish the serious from the satirical these days.

I can't be pointing out all the Tonyism's, I haven't time!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Iceman

Try to think of it this way..would you take the dead body of your late mother and leave her in the back field? the new croke park (pardon the pun) It's all about treating the remains the way you would if it was the whole body.  We're slowly losing the old ways in Ireland. Regardless of your faith there was always utmost respect and support shown at wakes and funerals. Now there are viewing parlours and nobody shows up to the graveyard - changed times.
Here's what a quick google will show up for the lazy ones on cremation:

QuoteThus, while "cremation is now permitted, it does not enjoy the same value as burial of the body...The Church clearly prefers and urges that the body of the deceased be present for the funeral rites, since the presence of the human body better expresses the values which the Church affirms in its rites." (OCF 413) However, "when extraordinary circumstances make the cremation of a body the only feasible choice, pastoral sensitivity must be exercised by all who minister to the family of the deceased." (OCF 414)

The rites for burial of the cremated remains of a body may be found in the appendix to the Order of Christian Funerals. This appendix recommends that when cremation is chosen, the body be cremated after the Funeral, thus allowing for the presence of the body at the Funeral Mass. When pastoral circumstances require it, however, cremation and committal may take place even before the Funeral liturgy.

Any catechesis on the subject of cremation should emphasize that "the cremated remains of a body should be treated with the same respect given to the corporeal remains of a human body. This includes the use of a worthy vessel to contain the ashes, the manner in which they are carried, the care and attention to appropriate placement and transport, and the final disposition." (OCF 416)

While cremated remains may be buried in a grave, entombed in a mausoleum or columbarium or even buried at sea, "the practice of scattering cremated remains on the sea, from the air, or on the ground, or keeping cremated remains in the home of a relative or friend of the deceased are not the reverent disposition that the Church requires." (OCF 416) The cremated remains of the body may be properly buried at sea in the urn, coffin or other container in which they have been carried to the place of committal.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Quote from: The Iceman on October 26, 2016, 09:02:55 PM
Try to think of it this way..would you take the dead body of your late mother and leave her in the back field? the new croke park (pardon the pun) It's all about treating the remains the way you would if it was the whole body.  We're slowly losing the old ways in Ireland. Regardless of your faith there was always utmost respect and support shown at wakes and funerals. Now there are viewing parlours and nobody shows up to the graveyard - changed times.
Here's what a quick google will show up for the lazy ones on cremation:

QuoteThus, while "cremation is now permitted, it does not enjoy the same value as burial of the body...The Church clearly prefers and urges that the body of the deceased be present for the funeral rites, since the presence of the human body better expresses the values which the Church affirms in its rites." (OCF 413) However, "when extraordinary circumstances make the cremation of a body the only feasible choice, pastoral sensitivity must be exercised by all who minister to the family of the deceased." (OCF 414)

The rites for burial of the cremated remains of a body may be found in the appendix to the Order of Christian Funerals. This appendix recommends that when cremation is chosen, the body be cremated after the Funeral, thus allowing for the presence of the body at the Funeral Mass. When pastoral circumstances require it, however, cremation and committal may take place even before the Funeral liturgy.

Any catechesis on the subject of cremation should emphasize that "the cremated remains of a body should be treated with the same respect given to the corporeal remains of a human body. This includes the use of a worthy vessel to contain the ashes, the manner in which they are carried, the care and attention to appropriate placement and transport, and the final disposition." (OCF 416)

While cremated remains may be buried in a grave, entombed in a mausoleum or columbarium or even buried at sea, "the practice of scattering cremated remains on the sea, from the air, or on the ground, or keeping cremated remains in the home of a relative or friend of the deceased are not the reverent disposition that the Church requires." (OCF 416) The cremated remains of the body may be properly buried at sea in the urn, coffin or other container in which they have been carried to the place of committal.

Is that such a terrible thing???