Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 30, 2019, 09:23:50 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 30, 2019, 07:08:28 PM
Teachers' pay is an absolute joke and they pay rise they're being offered is useless. I'm a Civil Servant and earn over £10K more than my wife who's a teacher. I'd say half the staff in Tesco get paid more

Was speaking to a civil servant manager and she's on £50 grand a year!

More like an Administrative Officer, on those wages.

FermGael

Get that same impression myself Hardstation.
Scottish teachers managed to negotiate a 13% pay rise over 3 years. 

The only people that are annoyed by the current industrial action are some school prinicipals and the inspectorate.
Most schools are actually happier places to work as teachers get to concentrate on teaching

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

marty34

Quote from: FermGael on April 30, 2019, 09:42:16 PM

The only people that are annoyed by the current industrial action are some school prinicipals and the inspectorate.
Most schools are actually happier places to work as teachers get to concentrate on teaching

Teachers in south start of €36k.

delgany

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 30, 2019, 09:14:58 PM
Teachers' pay is an absolute joke and they pay rise they're being offered is useless. I'm a Civil Servant and earn over £10K more than my wife who's a teacher. I'd say half the staff in Tesco get paid more

Really! NICS pay must be great.

Here are the teacher pay scales for teachers who have not been awarded a promotion. Any teacher can progress up through this scale over 9 years, just look at the annual increments.

Currently Tesco workers are paid £7.62 an hour, which will rise to £8.42 an hour by November 2018. The pay rise will put Tesco workers' pay above the £7.90 level that the National Living Wage is expected to reach by 2018. (23 Jun 2017)

I think teachers need to realise how fortunate they really are compared to the average in N.Ireland. In 2017, average weekly wages in Northern Ireland was £501, up 1.5 per cent from £494 in 2016. Annual salaries in the north, at £25,999, are still lower than the UK average of £28,758.

It takes 12 years to get to top of pay scale
M1 to M6   takes 6 years
UPS 1 TO 3  takes 6 years  - two years per point !

Angelo

Teachers are the most insufferable poormouths you could ever come across. They work a part time job with a decent wage, pension benefits, extended holidays a secure job and they somehow think they are some sort of victims. There's a reason why they rarely change career.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

giveherlong

You must be a DP grade or above?

delgany

Quote from: Angelo on April 30, 2019, 10:07:30 PM
Teachers are the most insufferable poormouths you could ever come across. They work a part time job with a decent wage, pension benefits, extended holidays a secure job and they somehow think they are some sort of victims. There's a reason why they rarely change career.

Did you achieve much in education  yourself ?

Owen Brannigan

Agree with HS as well.

Teachers would be reluctant to go back to previous situation. Strike action has enforced a work to rule, nobbled inspections, curtailed new initiatives and brought a halt to Key Stage assessment schemes.

It would take quite a pay rise to be worth returning to the treadmill before industrial action. Teachers are still well paid and a mostly female workforce will put more value on the current working situation than on a pay increase which bring s back stress and greater demands on their time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 30, 2019, 10:24:12 PM

Agree with HS as well.

Teachers would be reluctant to go back to previous situation. Strike action has enforced a work to rule, nobbled inspections, curtailed new initiatives and brought a halt to Key Stage assessment schemes.

It would take quite a pay rise to be worth returning to the treadmill before industrial action. Teachers are still well paid and a mostly female workforce will put more value on the current working situation than on a pay increase which bring s back stress and greater demands on their time.

You know that there are schools still operating as normal? Still stressed and under paid
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

... and civil servants are by and by large utterly f**king useless. [not helped by the insane policies within the CS where lack of subject knowledge seemingly doesn't matter when appointing chiefs to rule the indians]

At least teachers fulfil a role as underpaid childcare.
i usse an speelchekor

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on April 30, 2019, 10:37:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 30, 2019, 10:33:44 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 30, 2019, 10:24:12 PM

Agree with HS as well.

You know that there are schools still operating as normal? Still stressed and under paid
What do you mean?

Schools are still carrying out parents meetings after schools, still carrying out duties they did prior to the 'strike' still stressed still not getting a pay rise. My wife has not noticed one difference except a full on inspection, they have had inspectors in and they have assessed things though not a full blown one.

In my experience of ETI inspection I found them information and hard work but they were there for a reason.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on April 30, 2019, 10:52:16 PM
The individual teachers would be wilfully refusing to comply with union directive by facilitating those things?

Yes, I'd say there are lots of individuals within schools doing what they normally did. They probably feel a sense of duty to the kids and will carry on regardless, for some it's still a vocation as such, and refusing to do things (rightly or wrongly) will do what they feel is right to them. Course there are others who'll use it to avoid work.

I've worked in a union environment for many years, I never once seen any benefits from it, but paid my dues and went on strike and still ended up taking a revised offer of the same offer that was offered in first place, but I was minus maybe four days and lost out on overtime!

How many years has this 'industrial action' taken place?

omaghjoe

Know nothing about this but

LA teachers went on strike a few months back... all out of work till their demands were met.

Politicians who hadnt been involved and were happy enough for the school district to take the flack for no resolution with the teachers union were suddenly falling over themselves to get involved and give out pay rises.

My point is whatever your gripe is.... all out strike until its resolved, see what happens then!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on April 30, 2019, 11:11:07 PM
Their prerogative. There are those who say they should be fcuked out of the union.

It's going on about 2 years or so I think.

The modern world don't see the union like it was when I was a nipper. A proper full on strike, would in the short term caused havoc but would it have been better than this two year+ malarkey?

Either way, kids are still being taught, and schools are still achieving decent results, I'm still wondering how this strike action is making life easier for the teacher? She still brings marking home, still has classes and subjects to teach and under the same pressure to get results but for lesser money than a civil servant doing 9-5

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 30, 2019, 11:23:38 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 30, 2019, 11:11:07 PM
Their prerogative. There are those who say they should be fcuked out of the union.

It's going on about 2 years or so I think.

The modern world don't see the union like it was when I was a nipper. A proper full on strike, would in the short term caused havoc but would it have been better than this two year+ malarkey?

Either way, kids are still being taught, and schools are still achieving decent results, I'm still wondering how this strike action is making life easier for the teacher? She still brings marking home, still has classes and subjects to teach and under the same pressure to get results but for lesser money than a civil servant doing 9-5
9.-5? That's overtime in the civil service!