Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on June 25, 2018, 11:01:27 AM
Pretty much the worst draw we could have got. They are better than us and we are mentally brittle when it comes to Tyrone. Normally you would think Mattie being a Tyrone man might have some inside knowledge but I think we all know that there is nothing good there. All will be forgiven if we could somehow win this one but for me it is more likely a 10 point plus beating. Cavan should push for Brewster for this if they have that option open. They will be wiped out in Clones.

Completely agree. Think of the tanking we got in 2016 in the replay. That was with a better side and a good management team. Crazy to think that even with 15 behind the ball i can still see Tyrone tanking us.

Don't think I've ever seen such a universal backlash against a Cavan game. Hopefully after Tyrone put Mattie's 'tactics' out of their misery next weekend the ball will get rolling on showing him the door.

scoopmine

Lads in all my time following Cavan games that was the worst I have ever seen. Worst draw as well because in my lifetime Cavan have never produced a shock. Our best players can't function in that system, we don't press the playr and any player moving at speed will get chances. Farrelly actually did well and Mackey coming on. Our midfield is slow and very slow. I have no time for Mattie. 

Westside

Quote from: scoopmine on June 25, 2018, 01:55:02 PM
Lads in all my time following Cavan games that was the worst I have ever seen. Worst draw as well because in my lifetime Cavan have never produced a shock. Our best players can't function in that system, we don't press the playr and any player moving at speed will get chances. Farrelly actually did well and Mackey coming on. Our midfield is slow and very slow. I have no time for Mattie.

I said the same to a friend yesterday, he asked why it was worse than the defeats to Cork, Wicklow, Longford etc...

It's hard to say why, we even won this game. But it was.

cavanmaniac

Jesus lads, these are grim times. That stupid optimist inside me that always pops up a few days before a championship game is whispering that nobody gave us a ghost of a chance in Division 2 yet we got promoted, so is it possible we somehow, amazingly, pull some sort of magical rainbow out of our arses against Tyrone?

Then reality bites. This sudden changing of horses in mid-stream and reversion to a blanket defence (in appearance anyway, if not effect) is very symptomatic of what I alluded to in another post - there's never been a settled look or clear plan or direction from the top so far, and things now have the appearance of us trying everything and anything in the vain hope of avoiding defeats and clinging to some sort of respectability. It's like watching an inept handyman trying to level the legs of a table and going around each one in turn and only making it worse on each go.

It has all degenerated into a very depressing state of affairs and whereas before I thought Mattie had earned himself a crack at Division 1, it's quite clear now that it has all become a farce and he should be removed before any more damage is done. The question is, if he was all that was interested when we looked a healthier proposition after Hyland, who in God's name would be interested now? We'd have to look within the county. Have the players got any more go left in them for another fresh start after so long achieving practically nothing at senior level?

mrdeeds

The only thing is we are in division 1 next year so that should help. We need a big name, to get some of our better players back in squad. Then we need to surround him with top class, young dynamic Cavan GAA people like Jason, Peter or Finbar.

Itchy

Are we putting in an appeal for these red cards or whats going on?

Westside

Dara and Conor's bans lifted. Now Mattie for the love of good God don't camp them in their own 45 for 70 minutes on Saturday...

tierworker blue

Given what we've seen over the last while, that's pretty much EXACTLY what we're in for, I'd imagine!
We can live in hope of a change in tactics, but I wouldn't hold your breath... :-\

Denn Forever

The Cavan Two available for the Tyrone game. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Itchy

Wonder is Clarke fit. Youd need his athleticism around the middle in this heat.

Jaysus I just hope they go for it, nothing worse than getting bet after playing such conservative crap like against Down.

Itchy

So what do ye think now?

On the face of it the result wasn't terrible in that it wasn't a hammering even though i think that's the worst Tyrone team in 15 years. They were there for taking.

However you can't get away from the fact that cavan were totally clueless and had no attacking system. No head nor tail to selections. Left Clarke on for 5 mins after he pulled his hamstring. I don't think this manager will bring this team on. County board need to be brave and do the right thing.

mrdeeds

He has to go but I think he'll get another year. For the reasons he got us up and didn't get hammered.

But he makes some strange selections and has no gameplan or knowledge how to implement one.

cavanmaniac

I think you're right Itchy. He's not taking the thing forward and appears to be in damage limitation mode. There's a good crop of youngsters coming up at the minute (hopefully they see off Monaghan today in the minor) and if McVeety and Gearoid etc. can stick around to blend them in then there's hope for the future but only if we have someone of vision and imagination at the helm, who might even inspire a few more absentees to come on board. The best Matty can achieve at the moment  - if at all - seems to be to taking us back to ultra defensiveness and making us hard to beat, but that's going to move the needle the way we want. Will the county board press eject though? Probably only if someone within the county indicates they'll step up. There's nobody outside the county would want it I think and tbh, I'd be happier for us to look within anyway.

rodney trotter

Been a good crop of youngsters since 2011.. It's a different level to playing Senior Inter County football.

The u20's were brushed aside, and they are meant to be the future.

cavanmaniac

:o Isn't it still something to be positive about though? We ultimately won nothing with the U21s we had/have but we were knocking on the door a good many times, in fact were more or less there and yet contrived to come up short on a few occasions. Although underage success is never a guarantee of senior progress I'd rather have it than not, it's a no-brainer. Either way, I don't think Matty would be the man to manage it though.