The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on February 05, 2019, 08:57:13 AM
If Liverpool fail to win the league from this position would it be a worse bottle job than the 13/14 season?

Nonsense. Nobody can "bottle" a title in January ffs. City lose to palace, Leicester and Newcastle but Liverpool are the "bottlers" because they drew with Leicester and West ham? Give me a break. Honestly, bottle has to be the most overused term in sport at the minute.

ONeill

If they don't win the title they did bottle it. They had a chance to grab this a couple of weeks ago and really did choke.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hound

Quote from: J70 on February 05, 2019, 02:09:45 PM
On the bright side (amidst all this despair!), they've been playing fairly average for a month now, but are still clear at the top. In fact, City have only closed the gap by a point in the four games since they beat Liverpool.

Big issue is obviously the very soft goals they're conceding. Six weeks ago, Liverpool would have won that game 2 or 3-0, as they wouldn't have been caught asleep for the West Ham goal and would have another one or two on the break. Same with Leicester.

Need Trent back asap, at least.
Do you think Trent would have made a difference to the soft goals we conceded?
Or is the last sentence completely unrelated to previous paragraph?

Clearly would be better to have Trent back, but I think Milner and Hendo did alright at RB in the last two games. Didn't cost us any goals and got some crosses in and Milner even got an assist. They both outplayed Robertson, who has made very costly mistakes in both games. You could say he needs a rest, until you remember the headcase we still have who's second choice LB.

trailer

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 05, 2019, 07:33:47 PM
If Liverpool fail to win the league from this position would it be a worse bottle job than the 13/14 season?

Nonsense. Nobody can "bottle" a title in January ffs. City lose to palace, Leicester and Newcastle but Liverpool are the "bottlers" because they drew with Leicester and West ham? Give me a break. Honestly, bottle has to be the most overused term in sport at the minute.

When your rivals drop points you should punish them. Liverpool have failed to do that. Pressure is on and at this moment they can't handle it. They should be out of sight. But they're not....

Hound

Quote from: trailer on February 06, 2019, 11:53:58 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on February 05, 2019, 07:33:47 PM

When your rivals drop points you should punish them. Liverpool have failed to do that. Pressure is on and at this moment they can't handle it. They should be out of sight. But they're not....
Ah me hole, they should be out of sight. "Could be", but not "should be".

Last 3 games played Palace, Leicester and West Ham. 3 teams that are inconsistent, but on their day they can play very well and beat anyone. All 3 played well against Liverpool. All 3 games could have gone either way. Liverpool got some breaks against Palace, scored an early offside goal against West Ham and had a clearcut penalty denied them that would have resulted in a late win v Leicester. But credit to those 3 teams, the least they deserved between them over the 3 games was 2 points.

RedHand88

Quote from: ONeill on February 05, 2019, 11:33:40 PM
If they don't win the title they did bottle it. They had a chance to grab this a couple of weeks ago and really did choke.

This is absolute nonsense. City lose 3 games against mid/bottom table opposition (so far) and somehow aren't "bottling" it as much as Liverpool.
City were top most of November and December. Have they "bottled" it??

Milltown Row2

Bottling it shouldn't be used.. just choking a little
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

That it's 10 years since any team retained a league title might suggest that labelling any team as a bottler is OTT.

Mikhailov

The reality is that Liverpool do NOT have the depth of squad to compete over a long season with City. In fairness they have done well to still be in pole position but squad depth is hurting them now.

Just consider the options Liverpool have outside their 'best' 11 - Mignolet, Matip, Lovren, Moreno, Kieta, Hendo, Sturridge, Origi, Llalana & arguably Shaq. That is it - full stop, don't think I have missed anybody

City options - Danilo, Kompany/Stones, Mangala, Otamendi, Mendy, Delph, Gundogan, Foden, De Bruyne, Mahrez, Jesus.

Some of the names on the city list are real quality players who would get a starting place on any PL or even CL team. How many of the Liverpool list would command a definite starting place? Maybe 2 at most.

That is the difference - City May have loads of funds but they spend it wisely - their back up players are real quality and ultimately that will prove to be the difference over a long season. It creates competition for places which helps the team. Can you imagine Liverpool front 3 looking over their shoulder thinking Sturridge or Origi will take their spot if they don't perform.....unlikely !!!

If Liverpool win the PL then it will be a massive achievement

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

north_antrim_hound

I wouldn't be relying on the toffees to do us a favour even if they were capable which isn't the case.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Over the Bar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2019, 01:43:19 PM

Yep. You'll really see the real shitting-of-pants around Anfield after Easter. Can't wait!

J70

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 06, 2019, 06:05:28 PM
I wouldn't be relying on the toffees to do us a favour even if they were capable which isn't the case.

No. They're shit.

Liverpool can't be sitting around hoping for favours from Everton or any other team.

It's in their own hands. If they're not good enough, it's on themselves.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Over the Bar on February 06, 2019, 06:13:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2019, 01:43:19 PM

Yep. You'll really see the real shitting-of-pants around Anfield after Easter. Can't wait!

Aren't you the classy jokester
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

GJL

Tight at the top. As it turns out Liverpool's game in hand is against Utd at Old Trafford. Interesting.