AFL Invasion

Started by AbbeySider, February 13, 2008, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: AFS on February 20, 2008, 11:48:29 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 20, 2008, 11:36:01 PM
Quote from: AFS on February 20, 2008, 11:17:41 PM
I see they're about to steal another one of the finest young prospects in the country...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7255939.stm

What would you guys prefer?

That Aussie rules didn't exist and a young fella like this couldn't have the opportunity to pursue a career in professional sports?

Its not as if the game of gaelic football is going to die because a few lads decide to give Australia a go.

Or are the Aussies going to be starting expansion teams left, right and center filled with hundreds of Irish lads stolen away from gaelic football?

No, gaelic football is not going to die but the quality is going to be seriously diminished if the AFL continue to plunder each county's top young player every couple of years. If I was from Down i'd be seriously pissed cuz they've already lost what was probably going to be their flagship player for the next decade and now it seems that they're gonna lose their next best young fella.

I know purely in terms of numbers the drain is not really significant, but its the fact the they take the cream of the 17-20 age group each year. The AFL are taking our next generation of Maurice Fitzgeralds, Peter Canavans, Kieran McGeeneys, Pauric Joyces, Dara O'Sés, etc, etc. And what do we get in return???

Why should we get anything in return? What could we get in return? I stopped playing gaelic football when I was 18 because I preferred (and was better at) soccer. Was my club entitled to some sort of compensation for the loss of a player? What about all the other lads who quit? My club fields two adult teams most years, which represent the remnants of 20 or so years of training of players. Most clubs are the same.

On the one hand everyone is up in arms over the GPA, because, after all, everyone in the GAA is the same, from Dara O'Se down to the useless fat 40 yr old playing in nets for the third team. On the other, we're crying because we get nothing in return when we lose the elite player to a professional career, because that option isn't open to him in the GAA (and I'm not saying it should be). Either the elite player is the same as the hungover C team player or he isn't - you can't have it both ways.

And I'm not saying that Down people shouldn't regret the loss of players like that, but they've no right to feel cheated. These lads owe no more to the GAA than the rest of us who hung up our boots when we found something better. And if they owe nothing, I don't see how the Aussies can be expected to owe anything.

tyrone86

Quote from: J70 on February 21, 2008, 12:16:30 AM

Why should we get anything in return? What could we get in return? I stopped playing gaelic football when I was 18 because I preferred (and was better at) soccer. Was my club entitled to some sort of compensation for the loss of a player? What about all the other lads who quit? My club fields two adult teams most years, which represent the remnants of 20 or so years of training of players. Most clubs are the same.

On the one hand everyone is up in arms over the GPA, because, after all, everyone in the GAA is the same, from Dara O'Se down to the useless fat 40 yr old playing in nets for the third team. On the other, we're crying because we get nothing in return when we lose the elite player to a professional career, because that option isn't open to him in the GAA (and I'm not saying it should be). Either the elite player is the same as the hungover C team player or he isn't - you can't have it both ways.

And I'm not saying that Down people shouldn't regret the loss of players like that, but they've no right to feel cheated. These lads owe no more to the GAA than the rest of us who hung up our boots when we found something better. And if they owe nothing, I don't see how the Aussies can be expected to owe anything.

Fair enough, but shouldn't the lazy Aussie Scouts (something similar to our lazy journalists in the 6 counties - copyright Ian Sr) realise that not every young lad is a Martin Clarke in terms of talent - individually he's the best footballer that I've seen as a 17 or 18 year old. Clarke was courted by Collingwood over a 12-18 month period, after almost single handedly taking his school to consecutive MacRory Cup finals. Whilst I'm not au fait with the current approaches I'd consider that somewhat responsible rather than guys seemingly getting offered trials on what would be a willy nilly basis.

J70

Quote from: tyrone86 on February 21, 2008, 12:37:50 AM
Quote from: J70 on February 21, 2008, 12:16:30 AM

Fair enough, but shouldn't the lazy Aussie Scouts (something similar to our lazy journalists in the 6 counties - copyright Ian Sr) realise that not every young lad is a Martin Clarke in terms of talent - individually he's the best footballer that I've seen as a 17 or 18 year old. Clarke was courted by Collingwood over a 12-18 month period, after almost single handedly taking his school to consecutive MacRory Cup finals. Whilst I'm not au fait with the current approaches I'd consider that somewhat responsible rather than guys seemingly getting offered trials on what would be a willy nilly basis.

Of course, but its up to the player and his family to make the decision, not the GAA. You can't stop the AFL offering a young lad a trial. I guess they could organize to work with prospects a little in Ireland before bringing them over.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteWhy should we get anything in return? What could we get in return? I stopped playing gaelic football when I was 18 because I preferred (and was better at) soccer. Was my club entitled to some sort of compensation for the loss of a player? What about all the other lads who quit? My club fields two adult teams most years, which represent the remnants of 20 or so years of training of players. Most clubs are the same.

Well said. That post was dead on.

Shadylimp

i cant understand why mccomiskey and these guys dont want to stay and play gaelic when there is the good chance that if they make the all ireland semi finals that they can recieve up to 2000 euro! (for a years work) but then again playing for your county is a special privilege that no one forces on you whilst playing in australia in front of at least 50,000 spectators and earning 2000 euro a week (i know its oz!) is the work of the devil. come on guys, surely you cannot be serious wondering why men jump at this chance. The gaa wonder what they can do to stop this poaching of their star players? well they can shut mark conway and jarlath burns up for a start! if the players start recieving financial aid of some sort or benefit, im not saying itll keep them here, but its a start. these old school gaa men (republicans)  claim the gaa is the biggest amature organisation in the world, that would be hard........its about the only one left cos the rest have wised up and moved forward! who wants to attack me first??
'Oh honey I didn't get drunk. I just went into a strange fantasy world'

AFS

I know and understand all those arguments re. can't blame the player for wanting a pro career, the GAA don't pay the players so aren't entitled to any payment, etc, etc. And I don't really feel angry about the situation (there's no valid reason to be I suppose) but I do feel very frustrated that we, as an organisation, are seemingly powerless against this talent drain.

Just a thought, it might be ridiculously impractical so feel free to shoot it down, but could the GAA put each of its members on token annual contracts with a wage of say €1 per year. This would mean that everyone is technically 'employed' by the GAA and so when the AFL come knocking the GAA would be entitled to demand some financial recompense for the loss of a player/employee. I'm not talking about holding players for ransom here, just demanding a significant enough fee so that AFL clubs maybe think twice about players who they are now getting for zilch. I think something around €50000 is reasonable enough.

Uladh

Why would any member of the association feel they should sign up to such a token contract? from a young player's point of view, all that contract would do is reduce his chances of AFL clubs looking at him.

The most worrying thing i have noticed is that the possibility of getting looked at for afl has become a bigger and bigger carrot for young lads

orangeman

There's no way anyone in their right mind would sign a token contract like that. The only way a player like Comiskey would stay is if he were getting similar wages in Ireland.This is maybe where the GPA are coming from. But can we afford to have 2000 elite athletes who get paid € 40k a year ??

Did anyone see the new Indian cricket league last night on TV where rich business men "buy" the services of a top foreign cricketer to play in a new Indian league ??? It was very interesting to say the least.

western exile

It should only be acceptable that our young talent be allowed to take up employment in Australia as a professional footballer if, and only if, any 17 or 18 year old could take up employment in any profession / trade in Australia.  But they cannot.  No Irishman aged 17 / 18, without a trade certificate or college certificate, can be issued an Australian work permit. Australian immigration will not allow it. Currently our youth can only visit with a 1 year holiday permit with restricted work conditions.  So how are the AFL bypassing immigration?  How are our young football talent getting special exemption by the Australian government?   Surely the answer is for the GAA to get the Irish government to clearify the deal with the Australian government re issuing of work permits. Cut it off at the source?

dubinhell

I don't think Ozzie visas will be a problem. Most countries have a provision or special visas for sportspeople and musicians. In America i'm sure this is called the exceptional alien or something odd like that.

Quote from: western exile on February 21, 2008, 12:29:53 PM

It should only be acceptable that our young talent be allowed to take up employment in Australia as a professional footballer if, and only if, any 17 or 18 year old could take up employment in any profession / trade in Australia.  But they cannot.  No Irishman aged 17 / 18, without a trade certificate or college certificate, can be issued an Australian work permit. Australian immigration will not allow it. Currently our youth can only visit with a 1 year holiday permit with restricted work conditions.  So how are the AFL bypassing immigration?  How are our young football talent getting special exemption by the Australian government?   Surely the answer is for the GAA to get the Irish government to clearify the deal with the Australian government re issuing of work permits. Cut it off at the source?

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: western exile on February 21, 2008, 12:29:53 PM

Its like a skilled visa which an awful lot of Irish people use

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Jinxy on February 20, 2008, 11:39:23 PM
Quote from: Zulu on February 20, 2008, 09:26:32 PM
QuoteHandpassing is a skill that could be acquired with a decent afternoons training if you ask me.

Jinxy the rest of your post is very valid but you are well off the mark with the above IMO. It is shocking how poor many lads are at handpassing.

Ok, I was exaggerating. I still think handpassing the ball requires little or no skill and it drives me demented to see lads handpassing the ball over the bar from 20 yards out. If a fella is being coached half way properly and he still can't pass off both hands he may as well throw his hat at it.

Why does it drive you demented?

orangeman

There will ALWAYS be young lads who want to go and play soccer, AFL, ugby, basketball etc etc - no problem - let them go - they might come back and be better players and help the club.

Jinxy

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on February 21, 2008, 12:45:10 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 20, 2008, 11:39:23 PM
Quote from: Zulu on February 20, 2008, 09:26:32 PM
QuoteHandpassing is a skill that could be acquired with a decent afternoons training if you ask me.

Jinxy the rest of your post is very valid but you are well off the mark with the above IMO. It is shocking how poor many lads are at handpassing.

Ok, I was exaggerating. I still think handpassing the ball requires little or no skill and it drives me demented to see lads handpassing the ball over the bar from 20 yards out. If a fella is being coached half way properly and he still can't pass off both hands he may as well throw his hat at it.

Why does it drive you demented?

Because it requires no skill. You could pull someone out of the hogan stand and chances are they could do it just as well. It's not f*cking volleyball. Ever watch some of the old Dublin-Kerry games on TG4 when they were allowed handpass the ball straight to the net? It looked ridiculous. The handpassed point should be outlawed. There you go.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Franko

I think it is ridiculous that people are complaining about the people from the AFL coming in and "stealing" our talent.  If a young player from Ireland has the ability to earn his living by doing something that he enjoys then who are we to stop them.  These people are offering young people the chance of a lifetime - and a lot more than they are offered by the GAA.  To me the only people who are against this are supporters/ who don't want to see their best players taken away.  They have only the interest of their club/county at heart and are not thinking of the player at all.  Put yourselves in the shoes of a player who has just been offered a trial by an AFL club - what would you want to do?  Would you want the fat cats in the GAA stopping these scouts coming over to see you play and thus ruining your chance at your dream job.  Stop being selfish people!!!