Memorable acts of sportsmanship in GAA games

Started by Hardy, January 12, 2009, 10:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Laois....

For letting Westmeath and Longford win their only Leinster Senior Football winners medals
You'll Never Walk Alone.

BennyHarp

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 12, 2009, 02:07:09 PM
Actually Benny Harp-Mick Holden didn't run 'the length of the field' as Barney Rock was away up field in his back line... still it was a good moment.

I stand corrected!  :-[
That was never a square ball!!

thebandit

Armagh players providing a guard of honour at Cormac McAnallen's funeral.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteFor letting Westmeath and Longford win their only Leinster Senior Football winners medals

:D

donelli

Clare for allowing offaly get a replay in the AI semi in '97.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Micky Harte for ensuring that his side provided the customary guard of honour for the All Ireland champions in Omagh in 2003.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

saffron sam2

Something in the back of my mind about Ryan McMenamin and Beano McDonald.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

bigfrank

Ricey stopped playin and called for immediate help after they collided 2gether in a league final i think it was a few years ago,beano ended up with a broken leg,very serious at the time!

nrico2006

Was that not the Qualifiers in 2004 in Croker? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Minder

Quote from: bigfrank on January 12, 2009, 03:15:33 PM
Ricey stopped playin and called for immediate help after they collided 2gether in a league final i think it was a few years ago,beano ended up with a broken leg,very serious at the time!

Not trying to be funny but would that not be human nature to ask for assistance when someone is seriously injured?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

bigfrank

bigfrank

Quote from: Minder on January 12, 2009, 03:21:32 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on January 12, 2009, 03:15:33 PM

Not trying to be funny but would that not be human nature to ask for assistance when someone is seriously injured?

I was just answering saffrons question!!! >:( >:(

supersarsfields

I could be wrong but I think Ricey called out at the hospital at the time aswell. But again i'm not 100% on it.

AbbeySider

Quote from: ziggysego on January 12, 2009, 01:19:01 PM
Mayo.

After Tyrone first NFL game after Cormac's death, Mayo were outstanding.

I remember at the time there was a mass in Ballintubber Abbey the night before the game. Both Tyrone and Mayo Senior panels were there. Mickey Harte spoke at the alter and recited a poem. Cormac has first cousins and family in the area. A lot from home was at the funeral in the house. There is a link and a good relationship there.

(BTW there is a function coming up to raise money for defibrillators and the Cormac McAnallen trust... I will post details when they are finalised)

AbbeySider

Quote from: ludermor on January 12, 2009, 02:03:08 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 12, 2009, 01:19:01 PM
Mayo.

After Tyrone first NFL game after Cormac's death, Mayo were outstanding.

Mayo for not bothering to show up in the last few all ireland finals

ludermor, that is an ironic statement considering the name of the thread.
Not exactly sportsmanlike