Spillane - Against the Breeze

Started by bennydorano, January 20, 2009, 10:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

O'CinnĂ©ide is smooth alright, and has lots of experience, but he's too close to Kerry.  Bring back Lyster.  And Heaney's right, Spillane was an excellent pundit, and was a great on the SG in his day.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggysego

More a dig at RTE than Spillane? Spillane's not suited to the anchor's job, that's a given. RTE stick with him all the same.
Testing Accessibility

carol6

Spillane is a much better pundit than anchor but what surprises me is how Colm O'Rourke has not been taken to task over his analysis at times. Listen closely and you will hear some of the greatest contradictory nonsense ever spoken. I reckon they only keep him there because he is cannon fodder for the JB.Bring Pat back for the live games and leave The Sunday Game analysis to Tohill and Mc Stay. Tony Davis and Lyons should also move aside. They are predictable and in many cases wrong in their attempts at summarising games. Time to freshen up the whole RTE set up. Pat Kenny perhaps lol!!!

thejuice

Yeah pat was better on the other side of the room answering the questions. But the answer is in the article. If not Michael Lyster, how about Bill O'Herlihy, give up that oul soccer craic, John Kenny can do that, Bill would be great for the job. Even if he is a Cork man.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Fuzzman

I'm glad Paddy has finally fallen off the fence and spoke his mind and many others.

I think its fair to say the majority of people who watch the show aren't too keen on the guy but put up with him as they want to watch the matches.
On almost every program there is a unpleasant whingy attitude created by Spillane whereas Lyster was much more pleasant
Does anyone know did he withdraw from that role or was he pushed cos Spillane wouldn't share a studio with Brolly?

We should all start a campaign to get the arrogant git thrown out as he's getting our llcence money at the end of the day.
I must say though I'd love to see him and Brolly have a head to head session for an hour full on about Tyrone v Kerry style of plays.

RedandGreenSniper

I think Lyster semi retired, didn't wanna do the evening show anymore and so they, foolishly, appointed Spillane. I agree with Fuzzman, Spillane is way too whingy for my liking

Didn't know things were so bad between Brolly and Spillane. What was that over?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Puckoon

I like the notion about putting O'Cinnede in there, he would seem to have the necessary attributes - maybe down the line.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Puckoon on January 20, 2009, 06:45:28 PM
I like the notion about putting O'Cinnede in there, he would seem to have the necessary attributes - maybe down the line.

I think he has a bit of a way to go yet to fully cast off his county loyalties. Remember the Aidan O'Mahony diving incident last year?

In time though when he gets a bit of distance between himself and his old playing buddies he could be an option.

RMDrive

It shouldn't just be limited to former players. What you are looking for is someone who is a media professional who can interact with a panel of footballing experts to give us analysis and entertainment. TBH I doubt there would be many former players wo would fit the bill.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: RMDrive on January 20, 2009, 08:05:25 PM
It shouldn't just be limited to former players. What you are looking for is someone who is a media professional who can interact with a panel of footballing experts to give us analysis and entertainment. TBH I doubt there would be many former players wo would fit the bill.

Agree 100%. Daire O Brien on Setanta is fairly good, well ahead of Pat Spillane anyway. Lyster and Billo have no real pedigree in the sports they anchor but they're some of the best around. Very pleasant way about them and excellent at extracting the right stuff from the analysts - an iron fist in a velvet glove.
Des Lynam is very good while Adrian Chiles on Match of the Day 2 is as good as you'll get.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year