Cambridge Analytica & Facebook

Started by screenexile, March 19, 2018, 11:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 21, 2018, 01:47:14 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 21, 2018, 01:21:10 PM

So do you have any proof that a single solitary voter switched their vote from one candidate to another based on something  they saw on Facebook?   

I think you're right Whitey. Advertising doesn't work; that's why there aren't any adverts (other than political ones) on Facebook.

So do left wing progressives subscribe to right wing propaganda pages hoping to learn something new or to have their minds changed?  Does a Hillary voter switch to Trump or stay at home because they see a post or a tweet saying Hillary is a crook and a liar?

My best guess is that they used the data to fire up and energize their base

There's  as much false information in The NY Times and CNN as there is on Facebook, so this is just evening the field of play in my opinion

Smokin Joe

It's pretty obvious that the goal of advertising in elections is to win the undecided voters.  And if you can't see how continual advertising / "news" (which appears not to come directly from the political parties) could influence the undecided then I'm lost for words.

whitey

Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 21, 2018, 02:18:18 PM
It's pretty obvious that the goal of advertising in elections is to win the undecided voters.  And if you can't see how continual advertising / "news" (which appears not to come directly from the political parties) could influence the undecided then I'm lost for words.

oh I can see it alright, I just don't have a problem with it given all the dirty tricks the Democrats pull

How is it any different from Hillarys campaign editing The NY Times editorial to turn it from a pro Bernie blurb, to an anti Bernie hit piece?

whitey

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/the-fix/wp/2016/09/15/harry-reid-lied-about-mitt-romneys-taxes-hes-still-not-sorry/www

"Few politicians, though, are as willing as Reid to speak publicly about their disregard for the truth in pursuit of victory. His view on how to win in politics is both remarkable and remarkably depressing."

Fight fire with 🔥

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on March 21, 2018, 02:22:44 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 21, 2018, 02:18:18 PM

oh I can see it alright, I just don't have a problem with it given all the dirty tricks the Democrats pull

How is it any different from Hillarys campaign editing The NY Times editorial to turn it from a pro Bernie blurb, to an anti Bernie hit piece?

The key difference between FB and the NYT is the amount of data that FB has on each of its readers.
This is why FB and Google won 75% of all new digital advertising last year. It's why the newspaper model is dying.
The Trump campaign went far deeper than a NYT oped. It tailored ads based on FB data. Saying there is no difference is like saying the NYT can compete for ads with FB. It can't

A lot of the memes were included in Trump's last ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vST61W4bGm8

About replacing a failed and corrupt administration... trillions of dollars at stake... Global special interests

In February the tax cuts were signed into law. 50% go the top 1%
14% of corporations say they will use the tax cuts for payrises.

And they are going to take your 401 (K), Whitey.
Would you shtop.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

whitey

Believe whatever you want....the corruption of the main stream media is the reason why many people now get their information online.

screenexile

Quote from: whitey on March 21, 2018, 03:16:20 PM
Believe whatever you want....the corruption of the main stream media is the reason why many people now get their information online.

That's a ridiculously stupid statement even for you whitey!

People get their information online now is convenience, because it is at their fingertips.

Online media is way more corrupt than historical mass media!!

whitey

Quote from: screenexile on March 21, 2018, 03:23:56 PM

People get their information online now is convenience, because it is at their fingertips.

Believe whatever you want

The collusion theory is collapsing so now they need something else to blame

Politics is a dirty business and the Republicans just beat them at their own game

Personally I think the whole Fusion GPS/Steele Dossier/FISA Application/Wrietapping is a much greater threat to our Democracy than Steve Bannon feeding BS to gullible people on Facebook.

easytiger95

Quote from: whitey on March 21, 2018, 03:38:35 PM

Politics is a dirty business and the Republicans just beat them at their own game

Personally I think the whole Fusion GPS/Steele Dossier/FISA Application/Wrietapping is a much greater threat to our Democracy than Steve Bannon feeding BS to gullible people on Facebook.

19 indictments, 5 guilty pleas, 5 sealed indictments and a president desperate to fire the special prosecutor. What a collapse.

There is fine line between stupidity and bad faith - I'm rooting for you to be stupid.

whitey

Quote from: easytiger95 on March 21, 2018, 03:53:21 PM

19 indictments, 5 guilty pleas, 5 sealed indictments and a president desperate to fire the special prosecutor. What a collapse.

There is fine line between stupidity and bad faith - I'm rooting for you to be stupid.

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/374312-mueller-indictments-still-miss-the-mark-on-trump-russia-collusion%3famp

Puckoon

Quote from: whitey on March 21, 2018, 01:57:52 PM

So do you have any proof that a single solitary voter switched their vote from one candidate to another based on something  they saw on Facebook?   

I think you're right Whitey. Advertising doesn't work; that's why there aren't any adverts (other than political ones) on Facebook.

So do left wing progressives subscribe to right wing propaganda pages hoping to learn something new or to have their minds changed?  Does a Hillary voter switch to Trump or stay at home because they see a post or a tweet saying Hillary is a crook and a liar?

There's  as much false information in The NY Times and CNN as there is on Facebook, so this is just evening the field of play in my opinion

Why don't you play fair and take the spin off this. Absolutely on the fence voters are swayed by media and advertisements, and even the un-true meme that their co worker shared on Facebook.

There is a major financial and equality gap in the USA. Running parallel to that is an education and intelligence gap. Yes, there are a lot of really stupid people out there. Very easily swayed, and they're all allowed to vote and carry a gun.

seafoid

Mueller hasn't collapsed
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

whitey

Quote from: Puckoon on March 21, 2018, 04:26:58 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 21, 2018, 01:57:52 PM

Why don't you play fair and take the spin off this. Absolutely on the fence voters are swayed by media and advertisements, and even the un-true meme that their co worker shared on Facebook.

There is a major financial and equality gap in the USA. Running parallel to that is an education and intelligence gap. Yes, there are a lot of really stupid people out there. Very easily swayed, and they're all allowed to vote and carry a gun.

So would an on the fence voter be swayed by being told by a sitting president  that they can keep their doctor and keep their their insurance and that their healthcare premiums were going to come down by $2500 per annum

Would an on the fence voter be swayed by a false report about George Bush put out by Dan Rather using forged documents

Would an on the fence voter be swayed by being told by Harry Reid or reading that Mitt Romney hadn't paid taxes in 10 years

Would an on the fence reporter be swayed by a candidates performance in a debate ( not knowing that the other candidate had been given questions ahead of time)

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on March 21, 2018, 04:35:13 PM

Mueller hasn't collapsed

I never said he had

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on March 20, 2018, 12:50:36 AM
The main stream media put out spin and misinformation all the time.... heck we even had a network rig a presidential debate in favor of one candidate over others

How is that any different to an third part putting misleading information up on Facebook?

I stopped reading at "main stream media."