Author Topic: American Sports Thread  (Read 553733 times)

AZOffaly

• View Profile
Re: American Sports Thread
« Reply #12000 on: September 17, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
My God the Cardinals are horrendous. Worse than even I thought. It may well be a race between themselves and the Bills for the #1 pick.

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12001 on: September 17, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »
My God the Cardinals are horrendous. Worse than even I thought. It may well be a race between themselves and the Bills for the #1 pick.

Yeah it's going to be a grim year for you!
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #12002 on: September 17, 2018, 02:01:57 PM »

Actually I have years of experience of this. It's only relatively recently the Cardinals became a team where 8 wins was disappointing :) You find bright spots where you can, so I'm hoping Johnson starts to round into form a bit (it would help if the Coordinator designed plays which let him catch the ball on short routes in space), Chase Edmonds shows a spark, Christian Kirk continues to develop and maybe even a cameo from Rosen. I also want to see the defense continue to develop.

I'd take 4-12 at this stage, but it may be more like 2-14.

Gabriel_Hurl

• View Profile
« Reply #12003 on: September 17, 2018, 02:03:47 PM »
The Giants aren't too far behind if they can't fix the O-Line

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #12004 on: September 17, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »

Actually I have years of experience of this. It's only relatively recently the Cardinals became a team where 8 wins was disappointing :) You find bright spots where you can, so I'm hoping Johnson starts to round into form a bit (it would help if the Coordinator designed plays which let him catch the ball on short routes in space), Chase Edmonds shows a spark, Christian Kirk continues to develop and maybe even a cameo from Rosen. I also want to see the defense continue to develop.

I'd take 4-12 at this stage, but it may be more like 2-14.
Would you put Rosen in behind that O-Line? Bradford has looked poor but you have to weigh up the damage that could be done to Rosen too. Not an easy situation. Of course, Bradford could get injured at any time and that might force their hand.

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #12005 on: September 17, 2018, 03:38:09 PM »
That's the conundrum. No point putting him in there if he's running for his life. Bradford is a perfectly serviceable quarterback, but he needs protection. Now in fairness he was only sacked once yesterday I believe, so that's not terrible against a very good front 7 in LA. My biggest dissatisfaction is the play calling so far. They are not using David Johnson, and they are not taking any shots at all.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #12006 on: September 17, 2018, 08:13:49 PM »
Josh Gordon to the Pats by the look of it
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12007 on: September 18, 2018, 12:34:26 AM »
Gonzales and Carlson both gone. Dan Bailey on his way to the Vikings.

Crete Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #12008 on: September 18, 2018, 12:50:05 AM »
Browns got a 5th round pick for him according to NFL.com

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12009 on: September 18, 2018, 08:27:44 AM »

Love em or hate em you have to give it to the Patriots. That's an absolute steal* for a player of his ability especially for a team that needs exactly his talents. Apparently the hamstring is now fine.

* The Vikings took that kicker Carlson (grrrr) with their 5th round pick in this years draft.

tyroneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12010 on: September 18, 2018, 10:37:16 AM »
Raiders continue to be a sh!t show.

$100 million coach Gruden bemoans lack of pass rush, but is relying on rookies to achieve pressure on QB and says he doesn't regret trading Mack (another sack v Seahawks btw).

'Leader' Irvin strolls about while Denver are in their 2 minute drill.

Not enough talent to rotate players in when Defense are clearly struggling. Can manage decent first half performances then wrecked in the second...who would have guessed with one of the oldest squads in the NFL

Bringing back a WR who is being suspended by the league, AFTER you had already cut him ..... and who you gave up a 3rd  round pick for - for what - 1 or 2 games?

Karl Joseph, a first round draft picking up splinters on the bench while Reggie Nelson ambles about the secondary

McKenzie's drafting has been woeful for the most part and yet another rebuild is on the cards.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #12011 on: September 18, 2018, 10:39:05 AM »

Love em or hate em you have to give it to the Patriots. That's an absolute steal* for a player of his ability especially for a team that needs exactly his talents. Apparently the hamstring is now fine.

* The Vikings took that kicker Carlson (grrrr) with their 5th round pick in this years draft.

Talent no doubt but there is a huge question mark over him, I would say he is 50/50 to last the season with the Pats. People have become intoxicated by that unbelievable season he had in 2013, a long time ago. Obviously the Pats are taking a low risk gamble, low salary and draft pick, hoping he may be Randy Moss 2.0
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12012 on: September 18, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
Most of the lads the Pats try out in this fashion don't work out. For every Moss there are 5 or more Chad Ochocincos.

As for Gruden bemoaning the lack of a pass rush, I took that as a bit of a gag between him and all his media pals given the stick he's taken for the trade.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12013 on: September 18, 2018, 06:44:01 PM »
I think the risk is overstated. It's clear to me he was trying to get traded or released and his absence from training camp was probably to try and get released. He looks in great shape and while 2013 may never be equalled even with a good dropoff from that he'll be excellent. for the price it's a steal.