And the Red Poppies Dance

Started by Tankie, November 11, 2008, 10:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

sounds very interesting, anyone know if it will be repeated? radio kerry had an interesting discussion on kerryman who fought in ww1 yesterday - loads of them including john joe sheehys (an ira leader killed during the civil war) brother who died in the war.

Gnevin

Quote from: magickingdom on November 12, 2008, 06:59:39 PM
sounds very interesting, anyone know if it will be repeated? radio kerry had an interesting discussion on kerryman who fought in ww1 yesterday - loads of them including john joe sheehys (an ira leader killed during the civil war) brother who died in the war.
RTE don't seem to be repeating it  ::) Have checked the web and sky +
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on November 12, 2008, 07:51:17 PM

you will get it online from rte.ie/1918
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Quote from: Tankie on November 12, 2008, 07:53:20 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 12, 2008, 07:51:17 PM

you will get it online from rte.ie/1918

Was their and didn't see it . Maybe I'm just a little blind at the moment .Can you provide a direct link?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Pangurban

Revisionism at its most transparent, designed to change perceptions in the Country and facilitate our future entry into NATO

Gnevin

Quote from: Pangurban on November 12, 2008, 08:28:56 PM
Revisionism at its most transparent, designed to change perceptions in the Country and facilitate our future entry into NATO
your comments are  ignorant and pathetic disservice to the memory of these men and women .

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on November 12, 2008, 08:34:46 PM
Quote from: Pangurban on November 12, 2008, 08:28:56 PM
your comments are  ignorant and pathetic disservice to the memory of these men and women .

i second that. take your head out of the sand Pangurban. with out these men the war could have been lost!
Grand Slam Saturday!

pintsofguinness

gnevin/tankie - what is with this sudden obsession to remember Ireland's war dead?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Pangurban

For the record G.Nevin my Granfather fought at the Somme in the WW1 and was badly wounded, ending up as a POW. I had 2 uncles who served during WW2, one missing in action, never recovered. All three were there for economic reasons, as were a lot of Irishmen at the time. They had no delusion that they were advancing the cause of freedom or democracy, in Ireland or anywhere else. I respect the memory of all the Men who fought and fell, thats why i find it so objectionable that they are being used now as they were then, to advance other peoples agendas. The only cause worth advancing is peace not militarism. Buy a Poppy, not the propaganda

magickingdom

can we give up remembering them after the 100 anniversary? its a pain in the hole getting reminded about it every year and its not the only war that ever happened. there are german citizens that have no blame whatsoever getting reminded of this every year. whats that about? people should move on

Rossfan

Sure do ye not know it's only us Irish Nationalistic types who "should move on" or "show maturity" and forget the past ( apart from those bits of the past where we fought FOR the Brits - for whom it's allowed to keep remembering their past).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gnevin

Quote from: Pangurban on November 12, 2008, 09:23:40 PM
For the record G.Nevin my Granfather fought at the Somme in the WW1 and was badly wounded, ending up as a POW. I had 2 uncles who served during WW2, one missing in action, never recovered. All three were there for economic reasons, as were a lot of Irishmen at the time. They had no delusion that they were advancing the cause of freedom or democracy, in Ireland or anywhere else. I respect the memory of all the Men who fought and fell, thats why i find it so objectionable that they are being used now as they were then, to advance other peoples agendas. The only cause worth advancing is peace not militarism. Buy a Poppy, not the propaganda

Well that an entirely different spin than your original comments .

Gnevin

Quote from: magickingdom on November 12, 2008, 09:29:53 PM
can we give up remembering them after the 100 anniversary? its a pain in the hole getting reminded about it every year and its not the only war that ever happened. there are german citizens that have no blame whatsoever getting reminded of this every year. whats that about? people should move on

Forget your pass and be doomed to for ever repeat it ! Remembrance day is about more than WW1.

Gnevin

Quote from: Rossfan on November 12, 2008, 10:14:06 PM
Sure do ye not know it's only us Irish Nationalistic types who "should move on" or "show maturity" and forget the past ( apart from those bits of the past where we fought FOR the Brits - for whom it's allowed to keep remembering their past).

What are you talking about? A Irish day of Remembrance should remember all who died for Ireland .  This isn't about "the brits"

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on November 12, 2008, 10:31:46 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 12, 2008, 10:14:06 PM

What are you talking about? A Irish day of Remembrance should remember all who died for Ireland .  This isn't about "the brits"

Most of these men did not go off to fight for the 'Brits', they went to fight for freedom, the promise of home rule and many other reasons. Irish independence would have been worth nothing if the dictators had of won the war!
Grand Slam Saturday!