Jim Gavin

Started by imtommygunn, November 30, 2019, 02:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Surely merits a thread of his own...

Be really interesting to see who is next. He did some job.

From the Bunker

A remarkable achievement winning 5 in a row and 6 AI's in a decade. Huge pressure given their financial and home advantage. There is a huge expectation to succeed with such advantages. Managers like Mancini, Mourinho, Guardiola have shown that it takes a good managers to deal with such pressures and get you team over the line. It's not as easy as it looks. Others would have failed. Would have been Manager of 7 in a row except for complacency against Donegal in 2014. I suppose that was the last time he was caught off guard and it ensured the drive for 5 in a row.

The Hill is Blue

The end of an era, and what a privilege for all football fans to have lived through it. Jim will be a legend for a long as Gaelic football is played. Thanks for the memories Jim and good luck in whatever you may now turn your hand to.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

seafoid

I will remember him for the interviews.
It wasn't his fault that Gaelic football was no longer a sport.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Lar Naparka

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 30, 2019, 02:32:20 PM
The end of an era, and what a privilege for all football fans to have lived through it. Jim will be a legend for a long as Gaelic football is played. Thanks for the memories Jim and good luck in whatever you may now turn your hand to.
+1 A legend and a gentleman to boot.
I have seen many great managers come and go but Jim was the best of them all.
His will be a hard act to follow.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

blanketattack

No surprise really although was expecting it in October rather than now. The pressure of the 5 in a row probably took a lot out of him. He'll have a rest and be back in a few years.
Job is probably between Clarke, Sherlock and Farrell.
This will prompt another few retirements starting with Cluxton.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on November 30, 2019, 03:11:31 PM
I will remember him for the interviews.
It wasn't his fault that Gaelic football was no longer a sport.

He'll be remembered for his man management skills and how he kept his players so motivated. His interviews before and after matches were scripted dross.

twohands!!!

Just looking at the odds Paddyower have on Dublin over the next few years, for anyone who thinks this is going to severely impact on Dublin's dominance.

November 2019
To win 6 AISF championships in a row in 2020 4/7 (.571)
To win 10 AISF championships in a row in 2024 15/2 (7.5)

Today (after Gavin made his announcement)
To win 6 AISF championships in a row in 2020 4/6 (0.666)
To win 10 AISF championships in a row in 2024 9/1 (9)

BennyCake

Rudi

Super manager, nice fella too.

tonto1888

Quote from: blanketattack on November 30, 2019, 03:20:37 PM
No surprise really although was expecting it in October rather than now. The pressure of the 5 in a row probably took a lot out of him. He'll have a rest and be back in a few years.
Job is probably between Clarke, Sherlock and Farrell.
This will prompt another few retirements starting with Cluxton.

Aye. I thought when he hadn't stepped down in the weeks after the final that he would stay on. Agree regarding Cluxton too

An Watcher

Great to see, might give other teams a very slight chance now

Armagh18

Fair play to him, the record speaks for itself. Hopefully the start of Dublin becoming beatable again.

Rossfan

Will miss those interviews...

X are a very good team and put it up to us. Luckily we managed to scrape through by 30 points in the end.
His successor will have 39,000 players to choose from, around 25 All Ireland winners there already, most games at home, HQ looking after them etc etc.
Maybe they'll slip back to only winning 5 out of every 7 now.
Anyway enjoy your retirement Jim and if you've time on your hands in a few years time  you could give Ros CB a shout.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

A game changer for Dublin.

Brilliant manager.

Opens up the 2020 Championship a little...
#newbridgeornowhere