Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 26, 2019, 03:50:05 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 26, 2019, 03:33:42 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 26, 2019, 09:59:01 AM
Quote from: supersarsfields on September 26, 2019, 08:54:01 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 25, 2019, 08:43:36 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 25, 2019, 03:25:06 PM
Last figures I saw Dublin had 39,000 registered GAA players.
I would suspect 90 to 95% are football only or football primarily.

Thats 182 players per club in Dublin...

That figure must include kids, but the adult male numbers are what we are discussing, and its not the highest playing pool. And add in again the number of non Dubs playing in Dublin etc.

If it includes kids for Dublin, the corresponding figures for other counties will also include kids. Yes you could remove the none Dubs. But it still wouldn't make a dent in the number between Dublin and the next biggest. I don't know why you are persisting with this line of argument. It's just wrong.

All I am saying is the pool is not as big as you think it is.
It's not about the quantity. What counts is the quality. That is where the GAA money comes in.

The GAA money gets gaelic games into areas they were never present in before. If anything it helped hurling more.
Average age of Dub forwards was 24 this year
The money was used to develop a conveyor belt of talent S&Cd to perfection

That is why the All Ireland is a joke
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on September 27, 2019, 02:46:27 PM

That figure must include kids, but the adult male numbers are what we are discussing, and its not the highest playing pool. And add in again the number of non Dubs playing in Dublin etc.

If it includes kids for Dublin, the corresponding figures for other counties will also include kids. Yes you could remove the none Dubs. But it still wouldn't make a dent in the number between Dublin and the next biggest. I don't know why you are persisting with this line of argument. It's just wrong.

It's not about the quantity. What counts is the quality. That is where the GAA money comes in.

The GAA money gets gaelic games into areas they were never present in before. If anything it helped hurling more.

Ages of Dublin's forwards that started the All Ireland final replay. 29,26,26,23,25,22 which is an average age of 25. And all of them including sub Costello brought on won U21 All Ireland's so i think it's fair to say that U21 AI success this decade (2010,2012,2014 and 2017) has played a huge part in their 5 in row senior achievement.

Hound

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 27, 2019, 08:34:20 PM

Ages of Dublin's forwards that started the All Ireland final replay. 29,26,26,23,25,22 which is an average age of 25. And all of them including sub Costello brought on won U21 All Ireland's so i think it's fair to say that U21 AI success this decade (2010,2012,2014 and 2017) has played a huge part in their 5 in row senior achievement.
Yeah. So minor success has nothing to do with money, because Dubs never win minor.

But U20 is all about money, because Dubs are quite successful at that level. Except, when someone else wins it, it's nothing to do with money.

Maybe, it's just because we have the best players.
Maybe it's because Stephen Cluxton is the greatest keeper of all time.
Maybe it's because Stephen Cluxton is the hardest working goalkeeper of all time.
Maybe it's because Dean Rock is the best freetaker.
Maybe it's because Mannion and Con are just awesome

Kerry are going to knock us off our perch. But until then, either enjoy our brilliance , or suck it up

5 in a row. Never been done before. You have to hand it to the lads. Hard work.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Hound on September 28, 2019, 12:04:49 AM

Yeah. So minor success has nothing to do with money, because Dubs never win minor.

But U20 is all about money, because Dubs are quite successful at that level. Except, when someone else wins it, it's nothing to do with money.

Maybe it's because Stephen Cluxton is the hardest working goalkeeper of all time.

Kerry are going to knock us off our perch. But until then, either enjoy our brilliance , or suck it up

Alex Ferguson quote that was referring to league titles won and overtaking Liverpool's record of 18 titles. Going by All Ireland's won Kerry aren't off their perch yet, 38 is the magic number for Dublin to aim for in the years ahead  ;)

tonto1888

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 28, 2019, 12:50:01 AM

Alex Ferguson quote that was referring to league titles won and overtaking Liverpool's record of 18 titles. Going by All Ireland's won Kerry aren't off their perch yet, 38 is the magic number for Dublin to aim for in the years ahead  ;)

That quote was to do with the fact that Liverpool were the best team about and dominating, not just related to league titles . A bit like Dublin now.

tonto1888

Quote from: Main Street on September 27, 2019, 01:21:28 PM
Now we hear anecdotal tales of tumbleweed blowing around impovershed Dublin GAA clubs, being peddled as evidence, when all evidenced based acccounts are that Dublin GAA clubs are bursting at the seams and need to expand to cope.

Kilmacud Crokes 4,800 members 
Na Fianna 3,000 members, 380 mentors, 125 competitive teams  between juvenile and adult ranks
Ballyboden 3000 members 140 teams between juvenile and adult ranks, two full-time coaches.
Cuala  3,000 members

They're mental numbers but they are hardly a stick to beat Dublin with and belittle their success

armaghniac

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 28, 2019, 07:28:40 AM
Now we hear anecdotal tales of tumbleweed blowing around impovershed Dublin GAA clubs, being peddled as evidence, when all evidenced based acccounts are that Dublin GAA clubs are bursting at the seams and need to expand to cope.

Na Fianna 3,000 members, 380 mentors, 125 competitive teams  between juvenile and adult ranks
Ballyboden 3000 members 140 teams between juvenile and adult ranks, two full-time coaches.
Cuala  3,000 members

They're mental numbers but they are hardly a stick to beat Dublin with and belittle their success

They are evidence that Dublin needs more clubs and that the number of clubs is not a justification for Dublin having the population of a province.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Lar Naparka

Quote from: armaghniac on September 28, 2019, 04:45:51 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 28, 2019, 07:28:40 AM

Cuala  3,000 members

They are evidence that Dublin needs more clubs and that the number of clubs is not a justification for Dublin having the population of a province.
You are right and saying that in no way belittles their success. But Dublin will bring the GAA to its knees if things continue the way there are now. Dublin's population at present is more than the combined total of 16 other counties in the republic. That's close on one third of the population of the state and yet it  has only one county board. No wonder the drop out rate at club level is shocking.
Young players dropping out is nothing new and happens everywhere but nowhere nearly as much as happens in Dublin.
The principal reason for this is the lack of places on club teams as players grow older and the number of places on club sides decreases.
The chairman of Na Fianna  stated that his club has about 2,000 kids involved u at weekend and I don't doubt his word. How many of these will still be around to play senior football in 8 or 10 years time?
What percentage is likely to be still involved at u17 level, never mind at any of the older grades?
You don't need a crystal ball to see trouble looming u ahead.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Sandy Hill

++ 1

Well said Hound!!
"Stercus accidit"

TheGreatest

Congrats to Slaughtneil , 7 hurling titles in a row.

Congrats to Portlaoise, their 13th final in a row.I think winning 11 of them.

t_mac

Quote from: TheGreatest on October 01, 2019, 08:51:19 AM

LMFAO is that in someway legitimising the professional Dublin team.   ;D ;D

TheGreatest

Quote from: t_mac on October 01, 2019, 09:16:33 AM

LMFAO is that in someway legitimising the professional Dublin team.   ;D ;D

What proffessional Dublin team? i dont know any team that is proffessional in ireland, maybe the teams that have million Euro centre of excellences built for them where they chill out all day sitting in Jacuzzis and playing pool.

Owenmoresider

Yeah imagine that, Portlaoise, the only club in the largest town in Laois by a country mile, with playing and financial resources that no other club in the county can match. Oh look and they get to play all their championship games in that "Neutral venue" O'Moore Park in Portlaoise too, how convenient.

priceyreilly

This fella still spouting absolute sh1te. Dublin GAA have won about 110 Leinster, All Ireland and National league titles in women's football, men's football and hurling and men's underage football and hurling since 2001. They won 29 titles in the 18 years prior to this. This huge increase occured at the same time millions of euros was pumped into Dublin GAA. This is the reason for the increase. Don't believe the bullsh1t from fellas like this and others like the president of the GAA.

dublin7

Quote from: priceyreilly on October 01, 2019, 01:04:48 PM

This fella still spouting absolute sh1te. Dublin GAA have won about 110 Leinster, All Ireland and National league titles in women's football, men's football and hurling and men's underage football and hurling since 2001. They won 29 titles in the 18 years prior to this. This huge increase occured at the same time millions of euros was pumped into Dublin GAA. This is the reason for the increase. Don't believe the bullsh1t from fellas like this and others like the president of the GAA.

Pot, kettle, black. There have been many factors in dublin's improvement (including the points above) and success but unfortunately you refuse to acknowledge any of them and insist that funding for underage participation is the key to it all.

Are you not buzzin for the half dozen??